“Great Place!! Great People!! BAD TOUR PRICES!!”

Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Hello, we recently visited Flamingo on Jan 17-26. We had a blast!! excellent food in the area, and on the resort the people are very friendly. We came to Costa Rica knowing that it is a very adventurous country so we wanted to book a few excursions while we were here. We were shocked on how much the resort charged for excursions so we decided to book elsewhere it was the right choice we saved easy a couple hundred dollars over the week on the 4 tours that we did. Just down the street is a shopping center where you will find a couple tour offices they are both professional companies and have good rates, and whatever the resort tells you about the outside companies not having insurance is all a bunch of B.S.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Alfonso60763
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

We appreciate that you chose the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa for your Costa Rica vacation and thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. While we are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and found our staff to be friendly and helpful, your comments regarding the excursions were not as positive. As a result we had a very serious discussion with our tour operator, TAM TRAVEL, which is independently owned from hotel ownership/management. While they have many. many years experience in Guanacaste Tour & Travel services and are an excellent tour operator, we have asked them to be more competitive in the local market. Thanks for your feedback.

There are newer reviews for Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Two of my girlfriends and I stayed at FBR for a week at the beginning of February. We opted for the family suite since it provided two full sized beds and a sofa sleeper. It also had a little kitchenette. Since there were three of us, this ended up giving us just the right amount of space so we didn't feel crammed, and I think it was maybe $15 bucks a day extra - well worth it. The room was clean, and the beds were very comfortable. The sofa sleeper was a little beat up, but really, what can you expect? It worked fine for us. We had some issues with the toilet flushing, but we learned that it was best to throw the toilet paper in the basket, rather than trying to flush it. This helped a lot. This is definitely not a deal-breaker, though. The air conditioning in our room worked well throughout our stay there. The room did get a little warm during the middle of the day, but we had a room facing south, so with the warm sun beating on it all day, it's to be expected. No one wants to be sitting in their room during the day in Costa Rica anyway, so it was never an issue. By the time we were ready to settle in for the night, the temperature was back to being very comfortable. Each room is equipped with a safe. I believe it's battery operated because the power went out briefly a couple times while we were staying there, and the safe was still operational, which I was thankful for. You enter your chosen code and press the # sign to set it. It's very simple to use and gives you peace of mind. There is an exercise room onsite. It has a couple stationary bikes and an elliptical. There are also a couple treadmills, along with some free weights and a weight machine. It's nothing fancy, but if you're looking to get some sort of work out in, it will do the trick. I preferred running on the beach. The staff at Flamingo Beach Resort is top-notch. Every single person we came into contact with was absolutely wonderful. I'd read a lot of reviews before booking, and tons of people expressed how great the staff is. It's TRUE! They are amazing and really go above and beyond to make your stay positive. The food is fantastic! Their breakfast buffet is wonderful; same with their lunch and dinner buffets. The menu items are also well-prepared. I never had a meal that I didn't enjoy. We did the all-inclusive plan, and if you plan on having a few cocktails while you're there, it's WELL WORTH IT. My beverage of choice quickly became the Green Monster. I wish I was enjoying one right now! Sigh. The pool is beautiful! The swim up bar is a blast! The whole place is clean and well-maintained. I never felt unsafe. The beach and ocean are right there. It really is a great set-up. I have every intention of going back to Costa Rica, and I will definitely book with Flamingo Beach Resort again. I had to write a review because this place deserves your business. We had a really positive experience here, and since word of mouth is the best advertising, I felt obligated to share my experience with you. Now get your vacation booked!! ENJOY!

8  Thank Desiree M

Another "girlfriends" trip, we love it! thank you for your thoughtful review and your wonderful comments about our staff. We apologize that there were a few glitches in your room (safe battery, toilet flushing) and will work hard to fix these issues so the next time you come it will be perfect. Thanks again for sharing your lovely remarks on Trip Advisor!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I just recently stayed at the Flamingo Resort on a "girls weekend" with two of my friends. We are in our early 30's and wanted to stay somewhere exciting, beautiful and relaxing with some entertainment, but not the "spring-break" scene. This place was PERFECT!!! Our favorite part was the staff. They were absolutely AMAZING. We were welcomed with big smiles and they were so helpful at answering any questions we had. They are what we will miss most. The food was also amazing. Many, many options, and the breakfast buffet was something to look forward to every morning. The pool was great, never super busy and the swim up bar had entertaining bartenders who made delicious tropical drinks.

The beach which is located directly behind the resort, just steps away, made for wonderful morning walks, and beautiful sunsets.

This is definitely a place we would come back too, and being home just only a few days, truly miss. I would encourage anyone thinking of booking here, do go for it!! And the all-inclusive is the way to go!

3  Thank Mandi L

Thank you, thank you, thank you, your review was music to our ears, as "Perfect" is what we love to hear! Please come back and see us again!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Great location, just across the street from Flamingo Beach, breakfast was good, worth paying the extra fee. Good price and clean. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough beach towels for all guests and the staff by the pool (beach towels) need a customer service course urgently!

7  Thank Jorge S
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you so much for your constructive comments regarding your recent stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa. Beach towels have been a constant thorn in our side, you cannot imagine how many we purchase each year and they seem to vanish in thin air! There is absolutely no excuse for rudeness or lack of good customer service by any member of our staff, ever, so I am very dismayed to read your comments regarding the staff at the tour desk next to the pool area where the beach towels are distributed. Trust me, this will be corrected immediately!

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I just returned last night and loved our stay!

The resort is a stone 's throw from the sand. I often walked barefoot back and forth. The rooms were clean with comfy beds /pillows. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. A+!

It was VERY quiet and low key. Not recommended for those looking for a party, but good for newly retired, lovers or peace seekers. Numerous restaurants within walking distance.

We opted for only the breakfast in our package and felt it was perfect. The buffet of delicious foods hit the spot. We were unimpressed with dinner and did not eat again. Highly encourage you to walk to a new restaurant each night.

We did two excursions: sunset catamaran
Was amazing! $85 for 5-6 hrs, open bar, delicious lunch, snorkeling, and sunset. A must! The second was Monteverde. A long drive to the rain forest, but worth it! Ziplines are longest/highest in CR. Opt for canopy and high bridges!

Resort is a 35 min drive from Tamarindo, or a $1 bus ride (which is long and hot - transfer in De Hacus (wah-cus)). Great town for shopping, surfing and night life.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Kari_Colo

We are so happy you loved your stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, and appreciate your taking the time to write a review. We of course were not pleased that you were "unimpressed with dinner" at Arenas Restaurant because we have been working very hard to improve menus and constantly train our chefs and kitchen staff in best practices. We are fortunate to have several excellent restaurants within walking distance, but we want our own food offerings to be top-notch as well/ We will discuss your comment with our F&B department to help them improve.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We just returned from Playa Flamingo on January 26 and I've been telling everyone I want to go home. (They get confused because I *am* home, so I have to tell them "I mean I want to go back to Costa Rica, and want it to be my new home.") Flamingo Beach Resort was our headquarters and because we were looking for a relaxing vacation, we rarely strayed from it. (*Next time* we'll do the ziplining, etc.) It is a lovely little resort that had everything we needed.

The hotel is immaculate, which made me happy because I had initially chosen another hotel that got not great ratings on this front. The rooms are not luxurious but they are very comfortable-- this is the second most comfortable hotel bed I've ever felt and even my Princess-and-the-Pea husband agreed. I do not like the fluorescent lights in the room but I understand this is environmentally friendly and we did not spend a lot of time in the room anyway.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I remember Augusto who welcomed us warmly at the front desk and Kistler who helped us depart in a timely manner. The concierge was very helpful too, and I want to give special thanks to the guys who man the pool bar. That is not an easy job; the bar is always crowded and they never got grumpy or impatient. I also think they probably need to be paid more as that situation was not conducive to generous tipping (it's hard to carry money in the pool!). The drinks were yummy and not watered-down. I'd also like to thank the security guards in front who helped my husband when he fell into a ditch on the main road.

We had the breakfast plan and the breakfast was more generous and had more variety than I've had under other similar situations. The bacon and coffee are delicious. It's one of the most pleasant settings I have ever eaten in and the couple of dinners we ate there were tasty. There are excellent restaurants within walking distance or shuttle distance too.

The bathrooms are clean and new and whatever they've done to the showers, they now work fine.

We had a room facing the gardens and road-- I had requested one because some reviews said it could get very loud at the pool area at night in high season. On the weekends, it got very loud (music) even on our side. I can only assume this was because of weddings or parties and I won't begrudge anyone their good time. It stopped at midnight which I found reasonable and acceptable.

The pool, beach and grounds were absolutely beautiful. If you are looking for a quiet shady getaway, check out the gardens on the road side, a spot few people seemed to know about. I did not find the vendors on the beach to be overbearing, btw.

While the bracelet system is not perfect, I understand the need for it because I have been to hotels with similar physical layouts where the facilities are overrun with non-paying people, and appreciated the fact that paying guests got precedence here and it felt safe enough to give my kids (14 and 10) a little more freedom than they are used to at home to wander. I also did not find the towel system to be prohibitive.

My only constructive criticism to the hotel is that you may want to give your foreign guests some additional options for getting in touch with you before and after the trip. I was unable to phone the hotel from my cell and email went unanswered. Before the trip I had a question about the facilities. After the trip there was a mistake on my debit card charges, and I was very concerned about this. The mistake was fixed so I can only conclude that the staff is honest and diligent, but additional communication options would be good.

All in all a wonderful trip and I'm already trying to figure out when I can come back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank NancyKnowsBest

Thank you so much for your thoughtful, complete and constructive review of your recent trip to the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed it and want to come back and visit us again! At the same time, you bring up several areas in which we absolutely need to improve our service. Most important is the difficulty you mentioned regarding contacting the hotel. As an owner, it upsets me very much when our staff is not responsive to communications from guests. I will personally address this issue in my next meeting with management and make sure that any emails are responded to quickly as it can be difficult to call from the U.S. or other countries. Regarding the room lighting we do not use flourescent bulbs but energy saving lights that give off a similar kind of white light, which I agree is not optimum. I have instructed our maintenance engineer to look for better options, and we just purchased some lovely, warm-light energy-saving reading lamps that will be installed on the bedsides in all guestrooms the next few months as occupancy permits. We really appreciate your excellent feedback.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Flamingo for a week in January 2013. We enjoyed our stay very much. The resort was clean and well staffed. The food in the restaurant was very good. We did not have the all inclusive but did have the breakfast buffet as part of our room package. Our room was a studio. Two beds with a pullout couch and kitchenette. The pool area was quite large and the beach was just a few steps away. The beach is a public beach but the area across from the resort did allow for beach chairs from the resort, which were usually available when we arrived on the beach. Several types of vendors in the beach area. We took advantage of the massage right on the beach under the trees. $20 for half hour - good bargain! Costa Rican people were very friendly either in the resort or at the nearby restaurants. Worst part of the trip was the trip from the airport to the resort. Approximately 1 hour. We rented a car and found driving in Costa Rica to be almost a free for all and the roads are not in the best shape but it seems they are trying to improve. If you rent a car, know that you must take their insurance - it is a law there. I would recommend this resort to anyone that travels to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sunnyseas75
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments and always read and discuss these reviews in our weekly staff meetings. We are glad you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and hope that you tried some other meals in our Arenas Restaurant and/or Sunset Lounge. We're sorry that you didn't like the ride over from Liberia Airport. The roads have improved so much from what they used to be, that sometimes we forget that they are still not up to U.S. standards! Glad you arrived safely and enjoyed your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Flamingo
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta
JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!