Hotel Coco Palms
Hotel La Puerta del Sol(Playas del Coco)(Great Value!)
$70
$68
Laura's House(Playas del Coco)(Great Value!)
$60
Cafe de Playa(Playas del Coco)
$120
  • Pool
Hotel Coco Beach & Casino(Playas del Coco)
$117
$99
  • Breakfast included
Toro Blanco Resort(Playas del Coco)(Great Value!)
$70
Hotel M&M Beach House(Playas del Coco)(Great Value!)
$49
$62
$56
  • Breakfast included
Villa Del Sol(Playas del Coco)(Great Value!)
$71
$69
Villa Buena Onda(Playas del Coco)
$593
$433
Marina Loft Apart-Hotel(Playas del Coco)
$180
All reviewssushisoccer fieldhour marketowners johngreat poolcosta ricahalf blockcomfortable kingjuan carlossized bedoutdoor restaurantconvenience storegreat food and drinksrooms are very basicmini kitchenwould highly recommend this hotelpool area is
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Loved the Hotel so much for a week in December, came back in February for a month! Going back in April for another month...what can I say...fell in love with Costa Rica. With Coco being so close to the airport ...you can't beat the location. I used Coco as a home base, as I traveled down the coast of Costa Rica... then up to San Juan del Sur and Granada, Nicaragua. Stayed this trip in a 2 bedroom/3 bath (with kitchen) suite on the 3rd floor with an ocean view off the huge deck. Maid service is outstanding with great laundry service for those extended trips. Love the staff as they are so accommodating, friendly and fun to be around. Emma the sushi chef/artist is the BEST in Coco, always has fresh fish for her great rolls!
The Hotel Bar/Restaurant is always full of world travelers with great stories, cold beer and Cuban cigars. Always have a blast at this Hotel...many thanks and kudos to the owners John and Savannah.

Room Tip: It's about attitude...get a good one...and smile your in paradise....
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank 9RobertG
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We were passing through Playas del Cocos and booked a one-night stay here and showed up around check in time at 4 pm. After waiting in line for a few minutes the front desk told us that the hotel was full and they had just given away the last room to the couple standing in front of us in line! I was in complete shock because we arrived pretty early and usually I can see them being full late at night, but not at 4 pm!!

The owner came over and said they were putting us at Hotel Savannah a few blocks down. The hotel was horrible compared to what I expected at Coco Palms, in fact the owner even agreed that the accommodations at Hotel Savannah are not at the same level. Our room at Savannah was tiny, even though it was considered a "king size bed"; there was barely any space to walk around the room. We immediately found out there was no hot water in the shower and no hand washing soap or shampoo in the bathroom. The pool was filthy and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in days, if not weeks. My wife found ants crawling on the walls.

The worst part about this experience was that I later found out that the owner could have put us at Rubys, or another hotel that was a 3-star with the same level of service, but he chose to downgrade us and try to save money. In fact, when we mentioned that the sign out side said $25/nt and we paid $80 for Coco Palms, he only refunded us $40, and said that was the rate at Savannah.

I shudder to think that he would use the Coco Palms name to intentionally overbook the hotel and then put people at the sister property when all the rooms fill up. In fact, we ran into one of his former employees at a bar in town and that person said that the owner is bad business and his shady business practices led him to quit and work for another hotel.

I personally will never book Hotel Coco Palms again and encourage you to be careful when dealing with this business.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank volkswankin
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The hotel is within walking distance from town and the beach. The rooms are simple and perfect for a beach trip. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 12, 2012

When I arrived and saw the guard with the gun infront of the building and the football field right opposite, I thought it is a warzone, then I realized there was a 24 hour supermarket.
I met Paula at the front desk who give me my keys and a remote. I stuggled with my suitcase up the stairs where the walls were dirty.
As I entered the box called a standard room with cabin furniture I immediately returned to the front desk and asked for a room change. She promply informed me that I paid for a standard room. I asked for an upgrade that cost $125.
I was given the room opposite and it was better than the standard room at least this one had a refrigerator and microwave. (No coffee pot, plates spoons or nothing)
I settled in and decided that I would not want to be in this hell hole all day so I returned to the desk to book my tours. Paula offered me three tours at $135.00 each and I offered her my credit card and she informed me that I have to pay cash so I paid $280 cash and asked for the location of the bank to make my withdrawal.
Upon my return I paid the balance and forced her to write paid in full on my receipt. I went to the two tours on Wednesday and Thursday and decided to cancel the trip to Palo Verde. I did it through the tour company and was told to pick up my refund at the office.
When I got to the office the guy was a little hesitant but then give me $95. I quickly informed him that I pais $135 so I went back to the hotel to get my receipt. At the hotel I asked to speak to the supervisor and was pointed to a woman. After stating my concerns she told me I have to wait for Paula to return because it was her day off.
I took the receipt back to the tour office and obtained my $135.
The next day I saw Paula and went to ask for a phone call and she give me an excuse that did not make sense because the guy at the tours office showed me the price list for the tours. She told me that is what they told her $135. This is something she does every day and she insisted on CASH but I was told that credit cards are accepted.
The owner or no one apologised for her behavior. I never recieved the chit for breakfast so I was charge full price.
If I am offered their penthouse for free I will refuse.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank shamang
Reviewed March 8, 2012

When we arrived from the airport by about 9:30 pm we checked in with no problem; the staff was pleasant and efficient. I was quite disappointed, however, with our room which was located right next to the check in desk. We had booked over the internet, well in advance, a 12 day stay. It was dim, stuffy, looked into the main hallway and crammed with 2 double beds and a single with a small desk in a corner and 1 chair. The 'kitchenette' had a microwave and fridge but no dishes or utensils. They had to be obtained from the restaurant. One bed was extremely firm and the other extremely soft. The faucet was wobbling like it was about to break off and the toilet wouldn't completely flush. The shower head sprayed in all directions. I don't think they have any use for facecloths in CR as none of the other hotels we stayed at provided them either, so bring your own. There were only three hangers in the wardrobe and my request for additional was just ignored. As for the safe, you need to ask the desk for a lock and key. The AC worked well but made a annoying racket when it cycled on and off. I couldn't sleep without earplugs because of the echoing hallway, loud voices and music thumping through the walls. Even though the hotel seemed only half full, the front staff would not consider my request to be moved to a different room. Perhaps they were expecting a little something extra? We enjoyed the free full breakfast by the lovely pool and checked out the 24-hour market annexed, complete with an armed guard. The beach is only a half block away and not the prettiest but a nice spot to relax, enjoy the view and revel in the fact that you are in Coco, Costa Rica. The town is right there, full of shops, good restaurants and TRAFFIC People have to take to walking on the streets as the sidewalks are jammed with souvenier tables and racks in some spots. Driving is tricky. We had a supper at the hotel restaurant and it was ok but pricey. There is a happy hour for beer or margaritas but there's better deals and food at the Coconutz bar a couple blocks up the main street. This bar was always packed with gringos during happy hour with huge portions, live music and a nightly visit by a troupe of howler monkeys in the trees overhead at dusk. There is a bank another 3 blocks further up the street where we exchanged some money into Colones at a rate of 1:470. It's usually rounded up to 1:500 for ease of math. 10,000 colones is about $20.00. Except for booze, food at restaurants and at the grocery stores are about the same as in Canada, Tico style meals somewhat less.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple