All reviews top floor lookout restaurant restaurant located views are spectacular fresh fruit full kitchen the air conditioning wealth of knowledge enjoyed my stay howler monkeys infinity pool taxi town coco mary manrique tours
Selected filters
Reviewed March 14, 2018

I have been fortunate enough to travel a lot of the world, and I have to say my recent trip to Costa Rica is high on my list of best experiences. I have never been too picky with accommodations and never rate my overall experience based on this, however, I always look for a clean, and comfortable place to lay my head at the end the day and Hotel Chantel well exceeded my expectations. I believe it has everything to do with your host and both Anita and Mary were truly superb. There was never anything they would not help with and went well beyond their call of duty. Rooms very well kept, and internet that worked, and to top it all of views to die for.

when booking this trip I did a lot of research and I myself resorted to trip advisor for reviews. Mostly every review was rated a 4 or 5 and they were exactly right. The hotel itself is up a very steep hill but once you are up there, the views are worth every climb. I went for a morning run most days and explored all around. Highly recommend if you do like to have a little exercise as you can either run one way, or climb to the very top the other. I did both and enjoyed all of it.

The one thing that I would now recommend after having spent 3 weeks there is to rent a car. The first week we did not have a car and took a taxi to and from town, and to a few nearby beaches. This did work, however after getting a car the second week in, my trip went from being good to one of the best ever. If you are an adventurous person like myself this is definitely something you would like to do. After a week only being able to explore Coco, I got a little bored and needed to seek out more places. There are too many places to name but I would HIGHLY recommend rincon de la vieja, finca verde, and also a spot that a tour guide that I ended up making friends with to witness one of the best sun sets I have ever seen ( which I have seen a ton) the tour guides name is Manrique and I used him for everything. He has a wealth of knowledge not only of his country but also of many other countries. If you would like to get a hold of him through whats app his number is +506 6022 2654. He totally made mine and my friends experience.

In summary hotel chantel is to me the ideal place to stay and highly recommend.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2018

We loved the hospitality, the staff, in special Mary, the space, the cleanliness, having reliable internet and the restaurant located in the same building. Adding to that, the tours suggested by Anita were beyond expectations. Manrique our dedicated tour guide was extremely helpful and very friendly.
Location is perfect if you have a car.
Thank you Anita!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2018

I have to say my experience at Chantel Suites was nothing short of incredible. It was exactly what we were looking for. This is not the place to stay if you want to be in the middle of all the action and want the party at your doorstep; this is the place that is close enough to the action but far enough away that one can escape if one wishes for some peace and quiet. Plus the views to boot. Sipping cocktails in the infinity pool while looking out over Coco Bay is something I wish everyone were lucky enough to enjoy. Thank you for making our trip so memorable!

Room tip: Penthouse suite is the best
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2018 via mobile

The Chantel Suites was perfect for us. It is not in downtown Playa de Coco, but rather, it is up on a hill overlooking the town and beach, and only about 5 minutes to town. A local cab charges about $1 (US) per mile. If you have your own car, all the better. The first part of the steep drive is quite bumpy, but it’s paved about 1/3 of the way up.

Anita and Marie are wonderful hostesses. They are both very accommodating, called cabs for us, made dinner reservations, arranged tours, etc.

We were given an upgrade to a suite with a full kitchen, which gave us a couch and lots more room as well. I gather the standard rooms are a bit small, but are certainly adequate.

We stayed for 5 nights total, and while it did seem a bit odd not to have had maid service during that time (we were unaware that the service was not included), it was fine.

Please note that only one very small bar of soap, and a small shampoo and conditioner are provided, although I feel certain we would have received more, if we’d needed them. We usually always travel with toiletries, so it was not an issue for us.

Also note that The Lookout Restaurant is right upstairs, on the top floor. Their staff usually arrives mid-afternoon, and they do like loud music. Once guests arrive, however, they turn it down, and the place closes at 10pm, when it gets very quiet. There can be a lot of table-moving, which tends to go right through the floors, but again , it’s quiet by 10:30 or so.

Be sure to ask about the hiking close by. The area behind the hotel has some good trails - where we saw some beautiful birds as well as some Howler monkeys. The views from each suite and deck are outstanding.

We had a very relaxing and enjoyable first 5 nights in Costa Rica here, and would recommend the Chantel Suites if you like things a bit quiet and off the beaten path.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2018 via mobile

The hotel is located uphill. Therefore, one has a really amazing view, but a car is required to reach the hotel. Further, it is not much fun to drive uphill at night, but its only 5$ for a taxi. There were quite many bugs also entering the rooms and in August the hotel was really empty and the restaurant was closed, which did not really help for a great impression.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marcel G
Chantel A, Manager at Chantel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2018

August is rainy season here in Playas Del Coco, which brings the bugs out (Costa Rica is a rain forest). Also, because of the rain, tourism starts to grind to a halt. Due to a lack of tourism at this time of year, unfortunately, it is not feasible for us to keep the restaurant open during that season, so annually, it does close temporarily. We do apologize for the inconvenience and are happy to hear that you enjoyed our view from the top of the mountain. Thanks for visiting!