“Truly the best hotel to stay if visiting Playas del Coco”

Hotel Coco Beach & Casino
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playas del Coco
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I cannot begin to say how delighted I am to have made the decision to stay at this hotel. Everything worked out wonderfully from the room, great service, yummy food and a nice refresing pool. Make this your choice hotel for price as well. Parking, free wifi and breakfast are also included. Each morning breakfast consisted of the freshest of fruit, toast, juice and coffee; and for only $2 more I would add eggs. Only a five minute walk to the beach makes it's location ideal. The hotel is also surrounded by restaurants, bars and some shopping. We stayed here for a week while house hunting in the area. The front desk staff, along with the restaurant and bar staff were helpful and super friendly. The room was modern with all of the amenities needed and a comfortable bed at the end of each day ensured a good night's sleep. I have read some reviews about the hotel being a little noisy due to it's local, but keep in mind that Coco is a beach town with a party atmosphere. If you are looking for a tranquil quiet hideaway than there are other towns that might be more suitable. Even though I won't be staying here on my next visit due to the purchase of a great vacation house, I will be dropping in to visit the staff and eat in the wonderful restaurant. Keep up the great work everyone; you're certainly a choice hotel on my list!

Room Tip: Choose a suite on the top floor, overlooks the pool and restaurant.
There are newer reviews for Hotel Coco Beach & Casino

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Except for an initial issue the wife and I had with our room we are extremely pleased with the hotel experience. Upon finding the discrepancy and barely brining it up at the bar the staff got the NEW general manager and he set us up with a more appropriate room while it was being repaired. Then for reconciliation JORGE, toolk us to very private local beach down the coast. Between Jorge and Carlos we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to come back here.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was close to the beach, shops, restaurants and nightlife.

The staff were friendly and helpful and attended quickly to any deficiency. The pool was out of order one day but the hotel management were right on it and very apologetic.

We felt welcomed and secure. The pool area was great.

The service in the restaurant was a bit slow at times, but we were in Costa Rica, pure vida!

Would definitely stay again.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

This hotel is clean and decoratored nicely. Has coffee maker and tv. A/C. Management is nice and helpful. The problems are street noise and smell. The beach is dirty so is the street. Dogs tearing up trash. Loud until late night. The plus we did have breakfast every morning which was good and the waitress was very quick she even brought a fresh mango to my hubby after hearing he liked them. But then agian he also was propositioned on the street because of the internet not working in our room. He came back to room really fast. LOL

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The room was adequate, but needs some updating. It was clean, except for some mold in the shower. The bar soap they use was wonderful - I know that is strange to say in a review, but it was! Our friend were on the second floor and their room was much nicer, a flat screen tv and they could reach the internet from their room. We had to go to the lobby to have access.

The room came with a free breakfast, continental. If you want to upgrade to a full breakfast it is $3 extra. I saw a few complaints in other reviews about this, but they made it very clear in our booking about the breakfast, what had a charge and what didn't. $3? Why gripe about that, it is still a very good deal. And how nice it was to have eggs with the bright yolk, unlike the pale yolk from the not so fresh eggs back home. We didn't have any other meals at the restaraunt, but I did have a few beers at the bar while watching the super bowl. The bartender, Jose, will keep you amused. And, he is attentive.

One of the staff members, Josue, made our stay. Two things he helped on, the 1st and lesser was internet access. For some reason, my android tablet could not connect to the internet. Josue made his own phone as a mobile hot-stop and allowed me to connect through it. He didn't even want a tip for doing so.

The second, was when my wife was stung by a stingray. We immediately went back to the hotel, Josue asked what was wrong and sat my wife down in a chair in the lobby and got a bucket of very hot water, some vinegar and disinfectant. The hot water immediately relieved her pain, he then cleaned her wound the best he could. Josue called the local doctor, who happened to be in San Jose and it would be 5 hours until he returned. Josue kept in touch with the doctor and kept up updated on his arrival. After the doctor left ($80 for a house call - beat that in the states!) Josue called to see how my wife was doing - this was after his shift was ended and he left for the day.

As for the town itself and the beach, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. There were many restaurants that were styled to us gringos, the beach wasn't the nicest and had a lot of trash about. In fact this was the only place I saw trash in the streets in all of the country.This was the only place I was also approached about time shares.

There is a nicer beach a short drive away - Ocotal that is much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MizzouMike
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Coco Beach Hotel is located about a block from beach and is ok to stay or better than most. You are right in the action of the beach town. The restaurant at the hotel is reasonable and the fish is excellent, especially the sea bass. The rooms are clean and adequate but WiFi is only available in the lobby area, not in the rooms, plus it is slow speed. amazing they don't install a few cheap routers and change the passcode daily if concerned so people would have access in their rooms. Staff cannot tell you how to program your GPS for areas or other cities plus web site lacks good directions or GPS coordinates. Best to put in Playas Coco Beach then look for the Cacino. If you put in Coco Beach, GPS will not find it. There are no road numbers signs and addresses, so GPS very helpful.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I absolutely lied staying here!! It was fantastic! The service was amazing. They recently changed ownership, which I think is why the previous trip advisor reviews were not so great. Costa Rica is amazing, and this hotel really helps you make the best of your stay. They arranged rides for us for little or no cost. They helped us enjoy different tours and always had great advise. The new management is phenomenal. He checked with us every day to make sure we were happy. The rooms were super clean and cool with awesome AC. The food was AWESOME at the restaurant affiliated with the hotel. We stayed in Playas del Coco for a week, but mostly ate at the hotel restaurant, because it was so great. Aside from the hotel, the town is awesome too, there are so many restaurants and bars in walking distance. Everyone is so friendly and it feels safe no matter where you go. The beach is in walking distance, and is lovely. There is also white beaches in walking distance (coco beach is a volcanic sand beach - darker sand).
I LOVED my stay at Coco Beach Hotel and would definitely recommend staying there to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: February 2014
#5 of 11 in Playas del Coco
Hotel M&M Beach House
Hotel M&M Beach House
#2 of 15 in Playas del Coco

Been to Hotel Coco Beach & Casino? Share your experiences!