My overall review is a 4. I would rate the overall facility as a 5 and our individual villa as a 3.
The villas at Bahia Pez Vela are individually owned so the contents and decorating in the inside of each unit is individual to the unit. We stayed in Unit #18 - which was very spartan and the kitchen equipment, mattresses and linens were very basic but adequate. However, the view from the villa was spectacular, both from the bottom floor patio and from the bedroom balcony. The villa was very spacious and well maintained. The construction of the villa provided very good soundproofing and while sleeping in a bedroom, we could not hear anything happening in the rest of the villa. The only noise that we heard from outside was the howler monkeys, which was a very welcome sound. The air conditioning worked very well and the bedrooms were always cool. It was nice to have a carport to keep the rental car cool.
At the end of our stay, one of the office staff took me to see two other units, both of which appeared very comfortable and well equipped - so keep in mind that the individual units will vary. When making reservations directly through the hotel, guests can request a specific unit pending availability.
The beach was private and beautiful. The infinity pool that fronted the beach was beautiful with spectacular views and was never busy so lots of privacy and opportunity to relax. Howler monkeys entertained us, sometimes in the trees right at the beachfront and sometimes howling from nearby in the early mornings - one of the highlights of the trip.
The staff at Bahia Pez Vela (main office, restaurant, and housekeeping) were a treat to deal with - excellent English and unfailingly polite and helpful.
We booked several trips through the hotel and the hotel was very helpful in doing so. The Nicaragua trip was excellent value and provided exposure to a different culture and landscape. The arenal volcano trip was very long over rough roads so a good trip to an area with a different landscape but perhaps not as good for young children, older adults, or those who get car-sick. The trip to the Heliconias Rain Forest and particularly the walk on the suspension bridges was beautiful but perhaps better to drive their independently as the trip was not good value for the money and the guide did not offer much information. Our kids really enjoyed the river trip where they were able to feed white-faced monkeys and the sunset sail trip was a great way to get perspective of the area from the water.
This hotel is in a beautiful area of Costa Rica where we always felt safe. We ate out for our meals and the best places that we found for food were: the hotel restaurant, Father Rooster's and Papagayo Seafood. Nearby Coco Beach offered lots of options for food.
Overall, we recommend this property whole-heartedly. We intend to return for another holiday, this time to stay in a beach-front villa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bahia Pez Vela Resort is located on a secluded bay on the Papagayo Gulf near Playa Ocotal, only 3 miles from Playas del Coco and about 30 minutes from the Liberia Airport.Our Resort has 40 privately owned Villas that are used for vacation rentals. We have both beach front and ocean view Villas, all are 3 bedroom, 21/2 bath, fully furnished with full kitchen plus laundry facilities. The Villa prices range from $240 to $750 depending on location, season, and amenities.Our Picante Restaurant is next to 3 of our 4 swimming pools that overlook the black sand beach and the bay. It is available for weddings, meetings and other special events.Bahia Pez Vela Resort features snorkeling in our bay, easy pick up for fishing tours and a convenient location for enjoying Guanacaste area attractions and tours.We are sure that our Resort is a perfect resource for you, your family & friends. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and Hotels.com so you can book your Bahia Pez Vela Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Pez Vela Hotel Playas Del Coco
- Bahia Pez Vela Resort Costa Rica/Playas Del Coco