“My favorite in playas del coco”
Review of Soda Mediterranea

Soda Mediterranea
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ohio
“My favorite in playas del coco”
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Charming atmosphere, delicious fresh fish and seafood, solicitous staff and Alessandro the owner is wonderful. A leisurely experience no rush.
Try the sangria! Try the parrot fish! Sit back,relax and enjoy the evening.

Visited January 2014

Penticton, Canada
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We have dined at this restaurant twice in the last month.
While I agree somewhat with the other reviews, in all honesty it was not that bad!
We also dined here on Jan 18 th and yes it was slow, but the end result the dinners were fantastic!
My husband had the snapper and he said it was the best fish he has had thus far in our one month of travel. I had the gnocchi and it was melt in your mouth yummy.
The service was very slow, and yes no menu only a board. But overall it was worth the wait.
A bit over priced for Costa Rica but again homemade.
We will be back!

• Visited January 2014
Vancouver, Washington
“Horrible service, too expensive”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The food was good, but portions were small and expensive and the service was atrocious! Took forever for everything, didn't get wine for a LONG time, then charged for 2 because we asked for it to actually be served, waitress was super snotty, they didn't even bring us menus, we just ordered from her verbal specials. A hard end to a long day :(

Visited January 2014
1 Thank sassalicious
“Charming ambience but deadly slow service”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

On Jan 12 my wife and I chose this seafood restaurant for our first meal in Playas del Coco because we found the ambience attractive and the menu encouraging. To our disappointment the table service was grossly unacceptable – our server was not able to explain or describe any of the menu items, she was not able to bring our meals to the table after more than an hour of seating, and filleting a fish tableside proved far beyond her meagre serving skills! We paid 32668 colones ($68US) for this unsatisfactory dining experience.

Unwisely on Jan 18 we returned to the same establishment with friends, hoping that our first dining experience would turn out to be an aberration. Sadly our second dinner was even worse! This time we waited 2 hours for our meals, the meals were served with the same haughty indifference and incompetence, and the bill came to 57459 colones ($96US).

Before settling the bill I spoke with the owner / maitre de. He brushed away my concerns, talking instead about finding it hard to employ competent serving staff in Coco. He offered no apology and certainly no monetary concession (which I was not seeking or requesting!) for our disappointing dining experiences in his restaurant. I told him that I would never be his customer again and I would share my unhappy dining experiences in his restaurant with any of my friends who might be enticed to dine at Soda Mediterranea.

I strongly encourage you to choose another seafood restaurant while visiting Playas del Coco. This one is a definite loser.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Mortsy
“Best Fish Entree, just plan on waiting awhile”
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

The snapper and sea bass were excellent. The chef came out himself with a spoon and fork and presented a whole cooked snapper and proceeded to carve the fish himself, a very memorable experience. The downside is they are poorly staffed. Our waitress didn't speak a lick of English which I can see being an obstacle for some gringos, and the food took so long we thought they had walked over to the beach with a pole to catch our fish. To top it off, they got our checks mixed up with another couple and would have caused them to pay $50+ for a few beers and wine before I caught the mistake.

In summary, this is excellent food, just bring something to read while you wait.

Visited December 2013