“Excellent food, value...would recommend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Papagayo Seafood

Papagayo Seafood
Ranked #18 of 103 Restaurants in Playas del Coco
Cuisines: Seafood, Sushi, Costa Rican, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Excellent food, value...would recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My mom and I ate dinner here on Saturday Jan. 19th and had the "catch of the day" which was Mahi Mahi...it was delicious....we just ordered it with extra vegetables and it was very good. It was a huge piece of Mahi mahi and it also came with a salad for $10 US....great deal! We also ordered sushi and it was amazing also....we would definetly recommend this restaurant and would come back here.

• Slovak first
“Not the best.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

This restaurant was definitely not a good choice. We went during the day, and it was boiling hot with no AC. The waiter didn't take my drink order, only asked the men at the table, who wanted water, and then brought water for everyone! Although I did order my drink when the water came, I made a mistake in ordering one at all - The Jamaica flower drink I received tasted like perfume. I wanted to order the catfish in creole butter, but they didn't have catfish and the waiter had no idea what I was even talking about when I asked for it - I had to show it to him on the menu! I ended up ordering the mahi mahi, which tasted watery. The veggies that it came with were freezerburnt, and the "spicy jambalaya rice" was bland at best. I was not impressed at all with this restaurant.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank uptownzara
PapagayoSeafood, Manager at Papagayo Seafood, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Being the youngest of a family of five & the only male of the lot, as well as my only child being a beautiful Little girl, I truly apologize for any mysoginistic attitude you may have received.

I´ll also grant you that the Jamaica drink being brewed from a flower is a fairly arromatic drink. Although I hate to resort to the age-old stand-by of blaming the new guy, it had to be someone new to our establishment due to the fact that most of our waiters have been here for 5+ years and are familiar with the menú - even the catfish, although it is not a common Costa Rican fish. Mahi-mahi, if cooked the same day it is caught, is not near as dry as when it has sat for a day or two. Just like beef, some like their meat slightly aged. Although I can't say why your vegetables were "off", I can gaurantee that they were not freezerburnt. It would make no sense whatsoever to purchase frozen vegetables in costa Rica what the proliferation 6 low cost of fresh vegetables. The "Papagayo" never has & never will have frozen vegetables. As to the "Jamabalaya" it can be ordered as spicy as you like it. Again i think the waiter may have not specified correctly when putting the order in the system. again please accept my deepest apólogy for youir bad experience.
San Francisco, California
“A feel of NOLA in Costa Rica”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Everywhere we go, people told us to try Papagayo Seafood. So we did. The seafood salad was delicious and generous. The shrimp dish was also delicious. Catering to the American taste and I feel like I was in NOLA again.

Visited January 2013
London, ON Canada
“Catch of the day is a Great Deal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We were lured into this restaurant by a person on the entrance of the restaurant. One good thing is that all menus are posted at the entrance so you can check out what they have on the menu. We chose the catch of the day ($10) which came with a salad, home fries or rice and vegetables In this case, catch of the day was mahi mahi with about 10 different variations on how you wanted it cooked. I had varacruz style and my wife had orange chili sauce....both excellent variations. Again, there are a lot of selections to chose from. We ate on the upper balcony. Service was very good.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank scooter007
Atlanta
“Eat Elsewhere!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went to Papagayo last night. The food took forever to come, though while waiting the staff knocked themselves out trying to sell us bottled water and more cocktails. The only Ticos in the joint were the staff. The rest were noisy boozy Americans. This restaurant seems geared to that crowd. There was no service of any kind, just poor local staff running around trying to keep up. The food, once it arrived, was edible, though not distinguished. All in all, just not a place for a nice meal.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FHARDY
PapagayoSeafood, Manager at Papagayo Seafood, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
During "Navidad" (Christmas week) & "Semana Santa" (Easter Week) we have far more ticos than foreign visitors dining at the Papagayo & in town. After the first of the year the ratio changes as the town gets it's yearly influx of northerners coming down to enjoy the blue skies & warm breezes. Occasionally we get some large tables of visitors fully enjoying their time away from the drudgery of winter & they can get a little raucous! I don't want to seem argumentative but, I must stand up for our staff, they are certainly not "por Ticos"! In a country where the majority of the local residents travel by bus, bicycle or foot, our staff have cars & motorcycles. Most have been here for a over five years of continuous service & it is one of the most sought after wait staff positions in our town.

I do apologize for your being exposed to a table of boozy Americans. In the future please ask to be reseated & we can accomodate you in the downstairs of the seafood restaurant or next door in our Sushi Boat.