“Would not go back; Not a B. & B. either”
Review of Toro Blanco Resort

Toro Blanco Resort
Grecia, Costa Rica
“Would not go back; Not a B. & B. either”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed here one night. Location downtown is good ~ ~ IF you want to be downtown which means noise, of course. I have no idea why this is listed as a B. & B. There is no breakfast. Room was average. Nowhere to put soap in shower.
My only contact with management was not a pleasant one. After dinner, I donned my swimming suit to take a dip in the brightly lighted pool. A man walked out and said very gruffly, "You have ten minutes. Then get out."
The pool has a strange configuration. Steps to what I would call the "kiddie" side, no way to get to other side, which is very deep and only a ladder from the deep side. There are underwater bar stools, but NO WAY to get to them by stairs or ladder without swimming through the deep part. There are signs that say not to enter the pool near the seats! Go figure! Not very accommodating. Bar was never open while we were there and it was high season.
Night guard was very friendly, but I always try to acknowledge them and speak Spanish.
No way to block out bright lights from pool all night in our room. I have bought "black out" material here which is very cheap for curtains and does an amazing job.
Finally, it just was not worth the price of $65 a night for two. I cannot remember if tax was included, but for sure there was no breakfast!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mermade7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights in Toro Blanco. Reserved our room in June on the advise of our friend Gilbert who is a local Tico.

Our room was clean and comfortable. Small kitchenette, AC, and hot water. Nice private patio by the beautiful pool which is lit up at night.

My wife and I paid $60 US a night. Our neighbor said she paid $40. Maybe cause she was by herself..

The staff was friendly to us, but on the last night we we're entertaining some local friends on our patio early in the evening. I had accidentally broke a glass and my friend ( local Tico) went to get a broom from management only to get cursed by him. This really pissed me off the way the owner totally disrespected my friend who didn't break the glass and was only trying to help. I hope that this was an isolated incident because if this is the way they treat the locals I want nothing to do with Toro Blanco again.

It is noises on the weekend nights. Loud music from local bar in town. I had the AC on and a fan on to drown out the noise.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DannyM80
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a few days of diving and loved it! Bright, clean rooms, lovely pool, and great patios for relaxing and having a bite to eat. The owner/manager was generous and attentive, he even gave me a lift to the dive shop in his golf cart. Three minute walk to the beach, and a great restaurant with pizza and cold beer right around the corner. Two thumbs up!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel is a very very good bargain for the price. The room was always clean, had good AC and the staff were extremely friendly. I'm amazed that people have writen such bad reviews about the Toro Blanco. If you want a high end resort, then pay the extra money to stay at one and stop complaining. The Hotel sits just off the main road and is conviennt to everything in town including the dive shops and restaraunts. During the day it is very quiet and the central pool with wet bar is a great way to relax. I will say that the bars are near by and at night you can hear music, but it is not as bad as other reviers have made it seem to be. You could easily cover up the music with some soft white noise - the AC pretty much accomplished this. I really enjoyed my stay in Playas del Coco and if I'm ever back in town I would stay at the Toro Blanco again!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MKottmann
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Toro Blanco Resort
Is one of the best hotels in
Playas del Coco
Costa Rica
the rooms have good, quite AC units
the wifi signal is a bit spotty at times but works well once you've connected, the kitchen is a little small but everything works.
to take some pictures of some pretty cool monkeys that lives in the neighboring trees of the hotel.
Only about 100 years to the water where there's amazing scenery and underwater ocean life that will wow you.
I had a pretty amazing time and I will stay again.
Thanks for a great time!

• Stayed August 2013
Calgary, AB
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is not luxury by any means, but has everything you should need. The rooms were clean and had a few little extras most don't, like a coffee pot, hot plate, microwave and kitchen sink. Also each room has a decent sized patio with a large table. The pool was clean and someone was around all the time. The owner's dogs loved hanging out with the guests and for us made it feel more like home. There is some noise from the night clubs downtown, but my guess is you will not find a hotel in Coco that is 100% silent. We will definitely be staying at Toro Blanco again on our next trip.

Only thing we would have liked to have was a small safe in the room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank phoenixmstone
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Toro Blanco for one week. Our first impression was good: clean and nice pool area with friendly staff. The room was ok, especially considering the low price. But what really impressed us was the staff. They were always really nice and friendly, but most of all, helpful. For example, we decided to rent a car for a few days to visit La Fortuna and they arranged everything for us. We literally only had to show up! We were also quite pleased because although many people had written on trip advisor that there was a lot of noise at night, we weren't bothered by it at all. Finally the proximity of the hotel to everything (restaurants, beach, etc) was really good. Overall, good hotel that I would definitely go back to and recommend for my friends traveling on a "low budget".

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends