“Great hotel with really helpful staff”
Review of Toro Blanco Resort

Toro Blanco Resort
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Toro Blanco for one week. Our first impression was good: clean and nice pool area with friendly staff. The room was ok, especially considering the low price. But what really impressed us was the staff. They were always really nice and friendly, but most of all, helpful. For example, we decided to rent a car for a few days to visit La Fortuna and they arranged everything for us. We literally only had to show up! We were also quite pleased because although many people had written on trip advisor that there was a lot of noise at night, we weren't bothered by it at all. Finally the proximity of the hotel to everything (restaurants, beach, etc) was really good. Overall, good hotel that I would definitely go back to and recommend for my friends traveling on a "low budget".

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 25, 2013

This was one of the hotels that partners with Rich Coast Diving, where my friend was diving. I am really picky with hotels, while she was on a tight budget. So when we saw the option of Toro Blanco, rated #1 on TripAdvisor and well-priced due to the Rich Coast discount, we were sold.

I was left questioning how this could possibly be so highly rated!

The room pictures provided by management look nothing like the actual rooms. The actual rooms look dingy & dated with scratched walls and old wool blankets covering the bed. The kitchenette is messy and cluttered, and I was hesitant to believe anything was washed.

Our first afternoon there, I turned down the bed and discovered wrinkled sheets with pieces of grit/ dirt, as well as several hairs. What this looked like to me was sheets that had NOT been changed after the previous guest. And when you are as picky with hotels as I am, this is enough to ruin a trip. I tried to talk myself into dealing with it, but a few hours later I realized this wasn't possible. No one was on duty in the office so I explained the issue to the security guard. He called the manager and offered us 2 different rooms. However, the all looked the same (with questionable cleanliness) and, unlike our current room, they were on the side of the hotel that fronts the clubs. The noise level is insane. Not wanting to go from one bad thing to another, I asked if I could just get new sheets. I was told no, the sheets are locked away somewhere and cannot be retrieved until morning. So I spent the night on my beach blanket.

In the morning, we discovered the issues with the bathroom. The shower did not drain properly so you were basically showering in dirty water. Also, we were given a different stained bathmat every day. And the toilet was also stained.

On a positive note, the pool and sitting area near the pool were gorgeous. The hotel location was ideal, an easy walk to the main strip. The parking area was free. And as animal lovers, my friend and I liked the very friends 3 dogs & a cat that roam around.

However, to me, the absolute most important thing is cleanliness. I do not feel comfortable in a hotel otherwise; I am anxious to even go back there at the end of the day. And Toro Blanco definitely did not have this. Beware.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank majesty318
fedina48, Proprietario at Toro Blanco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

I would like to make some clarifications concerning the review ..... first of all because it was not paid an amount for this reason you could have left the hotel without losing money, we have offered you others solutions but you didn’t want to change apartment, It was not seems been not too bad since you took several photos with our dogs. The fact that there are stained walls is due to use, each year we do maintenance to all apartments. Our hotel is in first place because we earned it with the good riviews and they are all authentics and written by our customers, it doesn't seem correct to insinuate that they are false. It is certainly not the Palace Hotel for that price, but it's clean and I feel sorry for you that you did not enjoy it, why don’t you stay at the Hilton next time? toro blanco resort

Reviewed May 24, 2013

My father and I stayed at Toro Blanco from Saturday to Tuesday in May 2013. It may have been the most unique and satisfying place I have ever stayed. It is only one block from the main street and only one block from the beach. I don't think there is a better location ANYWHERE in Coco. It's far enough away, though, that noise isn't a problem from bars or restaurants. The owners are Italian (husband and wife) and speak very little English. But who cares? You're in a foreign country where they speak Spanish. It was good enough to communicate. They were very gracious and accommodating. Try to get a top room if you can because when people slide their chairs across the floor it can be heard down in the bottom rooms. We had this problem the first night and they promptly moved us to another room and we never had the problem again. They really looked after us and made sure we had a good time. The rooms are very nice with TV, AC that actually works, a full kitchenette, hot water, and comfortable beds. Each room has its own little private patio with rocking chairs and a table that opens up to the pool area. The pool area is what makes this hotel - at night everything lights up and it's really neat. There is a swim up bar under a pavilion as well. Throughout the day (and on into the evening some) the owners play some really nice smoothing spa-like music that really adds to the atmosphere around the pool areas. There are many public seating areas around the pool to have cocktails in or eat dinner. The whole hotel only has about 6 or 7 rooms so it never gets crowded. We rarely had to "share" anything with any other guests. They also have golf carts for rent for $40 a day which is a great deal. You can ride it over to Playa Ocotal which is a MUCH nicer beach and you can really see the whole town on it. The one bad thing I'll say is that they have several dogs which bark a lot. Especially when you first come in and they don't know you, you'd think they were going to bite you. After they get to know you, though, they ignore you (unless you have food) and we actually grew to love one of them. It's good to have them bark because it's added security in Costa Rica, but it can get annoying when they are barking at people coming and going at night. There is security at night as well in addition to the "guard dogs". Overall, it is a GREAT place to stay and I would highly recommend it. Thanks for the great stay!

-Christopher

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room if possible! It can be noisy down below if people are above you and moving chai...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rebelfan1975
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is a lovely place in a great location just a couple of minutes from the beach and town. The pool is really nice and the rooms good with a little kitchenette - we also loved the closed in balcony areas which were very roomy and private and great for hanging all our laundry around!! The only down side is there is a club (I think it might be the lizard lounge) which plays REALLY loud music up to between 12.30 and 2am every night of the week. I normally can sleep through most things but about 3 of the 6 nights we were there I was kept awake - probably because the DJ was so awful and mixed the songs so badly! :-) I don't know if the rooms on the ground floor and round the other side were better but I would recommend taking some good ear plugs!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LauraW11
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This was my fourth time staying at Toro Blanco and each time is better than the last! The property is located in downtown Coco but when you enter the grounds, you feel you're in your own home. Leo is always available to help with whatever you need and greets you like family. The dogs (my favorite is Blanco), are the friendliest dogs and keep you company whenever you want.

I've read a few reviews that complain about the noise level being close to the nightclubs. First of all, if you're going to pick a property in a DOWNTOWN location, you should expect to hear DOWNTOWN noise. This is Costa Rica folks and you're in a vacation town! That being said, the noise is minimal, you hear it as background noise if you're sitting outside your room on your lovely patio, but once inside your room, you have to be the lightest sleeper in the world for it to bother you. I have NEVER been kept awake and I've spent many nights here. Please don't let these other "noise reviews" stop you from booking. That's a big mistake.

The best part of this property is the fantastic pool which everyone enjoys. You get to meet other guests and I've made many friends here. Many people spend weeks, even months, here so that itself tells you how great this property is. You're close to everything, the owners are great, you meet other fun travellers and the weather is outstanding. What else could you want on a holiday? I've travelled here as a couple, as a family and on another trip, just with a friend. The property is suitable for all types of travellers.

Thank you Toro Blanco! I can't wait to return again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side, 1st floor are sunny in the afternoon although all rooms are great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank GreatTraveller01
Reviewed April 12, 2013

As I am still in CR and I don't want to spend to much time on my computer I will make this mote point form, I would like to elaborate but I fear to get to wordy...
- I'm in CR to get some dental work here in Coco
- the location to EVERYTHING Coco has to offer
- upon arriving there is a very well kept property where you can see pride in ownership
- there is a beautiful pool in the courtyard with a swim up bar, siting areas where you can visit or eat weather it's prepared by you our pizza or chicken etc. that you can get all easy walking distance away
- the room is clean, I found the bed very comfortable, very efficient AC, most every incidental one might need is in the room and the BEST water pressure I can remember
-since the proximity of the Toro Blanco is close to most everything you can hear some of the nightlife music at the nightclubs, but you can still hear the crashing of the waves on the nearby famous Coco beach and once your ear tunes in the sounds of the ocean you can't help but relax
- the people working at the Toro Blanco are all very welcoming and kind and genuine, that said I have been CR a handful of times and I have always received wonderful treatment and of course that's good
-the Toro Blanco is on the top of my recommendation list if you find yourself in Coco go stay at the TORO BLANCO. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!
steve

Room Tip: Well if you want to sit in the morning sun, ask to be on the south side, poolside
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank S44SS
Reviewed March 12, 2013

have traveled to Plays del Coco many times over the past 5 years an have never enjoyed my stay more - Fredricka, Leo and Evelyn and the entire staff made my stay at Toro Blanco a restfull and peacefull vacation. They are there whenever you need anything, could not have been more helpful, the rooms were well appointed with everything you need and if you needed something and it was not in your studio they procured it for you that day. The list is long as to the services provided (rental car/eco-trips/local information/tips etc - ;only just returned and looking forward to next februarys return

Room Tip: i liked the first floor poolside rooms (1,2,3,4 south side) but they are all nice,
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
#4 of 11 in Playa Hermosa
Hotel M&M Beach House
Hotel M&M Beach House
#1 of 15 in Playas del Coco

Been to Toro Blanco Resort? Share your experiences!