“LOVE THIS PLACE... Pura Vida”

Coconutz Sports Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 116 Restaurants in Playas del Coco
Cuisines: Southwestern, Caribbean, Costa Rican
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Coconutz is the local "Expat" hangout & tourist Bar & Grill. Home of Angry Goats craft Brew House. We have 14 TV's & projection screens for all Sports. Known for great pizza, burgers, WINGS, and seafood. Live Music 3 nights a week, with a mix of latin/american folk, Rock'in Blues, & classic rock. Karaoke every Tuesday that gets the whole town rocking! Outdoor deck where you can sit or swing at the rail & watch people go by. Come party with Fishermen, Divers, Scoundrels, Smugglers, Beer Aficionados, All Inclusive & 4 Season escapees! Those looking for the simpler life are welcome. Monkeys show up some afternoons in the trees above. Be on the lookout for iguanas. Sometimes they get feisty and fall out of trees. If one lands on your table, we buy you a drink! The place to party for NFL & college football, NHL hockey, NBA, MLB, UFC, and Soccer games. Hottest place in town for Halloween, New Years Eve, horse parades and any Costa Rican or American/Canadian holiday!
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I can't explain how much this place changed my life. Dan, the owner is from Wisconsin and makes Coconutz the place it is today. He is always in a great mood and always has a smile on his face. The bartenders and the waitress' make your time at Coconutz so enjoyable.
The food is wonderful and they do have a few vegetarian options which is awesome for us veggies!
I did check out a few of the other bars and eatery's in Coco, but I LOVED COCONUTZ so much that I had to go back there!
GREAT place. Highly recommended.

2  Thank smwdaisy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed May 13, 2011

We stayed in Playa de Coco for a week and ended up at Coconutz on at least 3 occassions. Dan is hilarious and the ideal owner for this type of bar. He makes locals and out of towners feel at home. They have GREAT specials and the nachos are out of this world. We can't stop talking about them. For US folks traveling in the area this is a must stop. We were able to watch our local sports teams and eat foods that reminded us of home with a "tico" twist.

1  Thank AEB3300
Reviewed April 27, 2011

We loved this restaurant!!! We went back the very next night. The service was great...servers were quick to get us another round. There was live music one night and monkeys in the trees above the open seating area. There is free wifi, a free computer to use and a magic jack (free calls to the US). The food was great and reasonable. We had a pizza and it was awesome - its huge and cheap. Our party also had the queso and chips, burgers and chicken. Happy hour has good drink specials. Overall great experience.

1  Thank ndgroup4
Reviewed March 31, 2011

We got there on time for Happy Hour - the margarita was cheap but strong. My friends had the big cheeseburger and said it was good. I tried the calamari and coconut shrimp which were both fresh and extremely tasty. The owner checked in with us several times. Most important to me was the free wifi - but he also has a computer with a Magic Jack so you can make free calls to the States.

Reviewed March 7, 2011

This could be a place I'd go on a regular basis. However, to compensate for their 'happy hour' they over charge guests. We were charged for 32 beers when at a max we had 20. When I brought it up with the owner he said "well you've been here a long time' !!! It is embarrassing to try to take from people that may not understand the exchage, or would have drank to much and not have noticed because they trust the establishment.
I would go again but I would keep my empties on the table!

1  Thank ngardiner