See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 17, 2014

We went for the sales presentation (fractional ownership vs timeshare) Travis did a great presentation - thing is - they are trying to sell you a six star dream in a two to three star sales area. The model suit looks like an abandoned shack from the outsider (seriously) but inside looked amazing - but it was just a mock up. The pool was slightly green - the beach area was just okay. They start off the money part offering (after a lengthy presentation and bonding time) two weeks a year for the rest of your life (at many resorts) for about $23,000, it then drops to $16,000 and then drops again for 5 years for $2,700 - but that's just your initial buy in! You have to pay $600 a week to stay there - which is strange because to stay anywhere else it's about $300 a week. There's no internet otherwise I would have read the reviews here while the talk was on going. Thankfully we didn't buy in -when we come back to Coco Beach we will stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: I would look around before staying here.
Stayed: November 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Davesn4
Reviewed September 17, 2014

Playa de las Palmas
Not really a resort but is made up of about 50 individual condominium associations within a small community. Each condominium association had from 10 to 30 apartments. We stayed in what was called the Green Turtle. The Green Turtle condominium also accommodates year round residence both local and foreign as well as some of the owners. The condo was clean and spacious. With 2 bedroom 2 baths and well equipped kitchen. The unit we were in was typical Tico ( Tico is the name Costa Ricans refer to themselves) example the unit sleeps 6 but their is only seating in the living room for 3 squired onto the sofa and as usual very I comfortable. Another example the kitchen had a counter on both sides. One counter had a coffee maker toaster blender and rice cooker and space for all. Problem was this counter had no electric outlet for these appliances the outer counter had only one outlet. And space for only 2 items at a time. One other example the master bedroom closet had no rod to hang your clothes only shelves a plus was there is a wall safe. Their was a large table with seating for 6 and we have very nice towels and they provided bath soap and shampoo. There is no Internet no telephone in any of the units. So you're on your own whenever you need something you've got to find your way to the office which can be a five minute drive or a 25 minute walk. As my wife and I live in Costa Rica we knew this in advance so for us it was no problem as we had a car and cell phone. If you're expecting accommodations like you would get in Europe or the United States this is not your place to go in Playa de Coco. If Playa de Coco is on your list your best choice is to get a condo at Pacifico. It's not on the timeshare exchange is what you can find it at VRBO.

Room Tip: There is no way to choose a good room the last time we stayed we were in a different complex and it wasn't as nice as the Green Turtle. If you do a timeshare exchange there is no way of knowing which of the many condominiums they will put you in. One reason we stayed here is through Dial An Exchange and we only paid $149 for the week so it was really worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank GeraldHirsh
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I found this vacation through my timeshare affiliate (RCI). The pool was nice. Other than that, forget it. Don't waste your time, money, etc. on this place. No dishwasher, no phone, no service, room full of ants, spiders, and other unknown insects--which bite! There is no way to get in touch with anyone other than walk, rent a bike, car, moped, golf cart to go four blocks up to the 'office.' The air conditioner took two days to cool the place off, and it sounded like a wounded birdie all night long. Windows are so thin that you can hear every insect outside. Fridge makes a squeaky noise all night. The place was clean. The bed--well, we had to get the mattress off of the pullout sofa to put on top of the Queen bed just so the springs would not poke us in the hips and legs while we slept.

It's a condo in the middle of what looks to be the ghetto. There were "ladies of the evening" on the street corner only two blocks from the condo. Playa del Coco is a crap place--yea, any popular tourist place--that has a sign behind the bar (one of the local tourist fishbowls) which says "there is nothing here worth your life" with a skull and crossbones on it--is worth visiting, believe me. Everything item is overpriced, the food is overpriced and not worthy, the beach is disgustingly nasty, the water is polluted, you ARE THE PREY -- and they are the hunters! The nearest town is 18 Kilometers away, and costs $40-45US to go to town...one way!

No Service, Value is horrible, Sleep Quality--we only got sleep after we left this miserable place, Location is in the middle of the ghetto and out of range of a city, Rooms suck, no fitness center, absolutely no room service.

Costa Rica-->It's not inexpensive, people do not speak English--unless you mention the US dollar....Skip this place, it's not even ghetto fabulous!

Room Tip: Anywhere in Playa Flamingo
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank TravelTomDee
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My best advise to anyone considering this property is DON'T GO! I just returned from a week long trip to Coco Sunset, Playas del coco, Costa Rica (Oct 23-30, 2010)
Construction - We were awoken EVERY morning at 7am by hammering going on in the unit next to where we were sleeping. Not to mention the roads to the unit was not entirely paved. It's a steep climb through mud and rocks from the gravel parking lot to the unit.
Lack of Amenities - The WORST beds I've ever slept on. We woke up with sore necks and backs. Cheap linens and towels felt like sand paper. We had to go out and purchase our own paper towels for the kitchen.
Safety was OK. The property is not very well lit. So walking at night, even to the restaurant on the property is a bit scary. Take a flashlight. Security was always around and easy to find, and the in room safe worked. Outside of that, I never really felt safe in the town. It's more like a 10 minute walk to the beach and probably 15 minutes to the town.
Bugs are definitely an issue. The doors are not properly sealed so when it rains (almost daily) the ants come inside to find a dry place. Not to mention we found a small wasp nest in our "master suite" the night before we were leaving. We had to take all our belongings into the other room to sleep.
DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE SALES STAFF. Upon our arrival after almost 24 hours total travel time, we were tricked into a "thank you breakfast" which turned out to be a 90 minute timeshare presentation. Once we realised this and decided NOT to waste an hour and a half of OUR vacation, the sales woman Katrina was knocking on our door telling us we HAD to go to the breakfast because EVERYONE goes to the breakfast. When I told her we were not interested and felt a bit mislead, there was NO apology or any attempt to find out what was wrong.
Don't waste your time! I'm sure there are nicer places in Costa Rica. Unfortunately our view of the country was a little tainted by staying at this place. I don't think we'll be going back. Good luck!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank skipmeow
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I found this vacation spot through trading my timeshare week on Interval International. Coco Sunset Vacation Club was advertised on Interval International as a resort that had plenty of activities for the kids and family to do. The beach in the pictures was white sand and blue water. There were several pools and the rooms where absolutely stunning. When my two sons and I arrived there it was NOT even close to what was advertised. It turned out to be condos instead of a resort. The condo we were in was a two bedroom two story. There was no phone in our condo and if we needed something from the front office I had to walk about a half of a mile down the road to the office to ask for it. There was one television which we got a lot of use of since we were bored out of our minds. They said they had laundry facilities but it turned out they didn't but they use a laundry facility a couple of miles away at another resort that I had to walk to. There was one small pool and Jacuzzi but Jacuzzi the was broken. One entire day the water was shut off from our condo without any notice. The maids came to clean up one time and they changed out the four towels and sheets. There were no extra trash bags, towels or paper towels. The management was VERY RUDE and did not apologize or try and make up for the misrepresentation of the RESORT/ really a condo. My kids were bored out of their mind. The beach had black sand and the water was murky. There was trash and bums on the beach near the resort. The place was completely empty other than two other couples I met who were VERY dissatisfied with the place as well. There was ABSOLUTLEY NO service. No one offered to shuttle us from our condo to the office or to the laundry facilities. Again I have had my timeshare for six years and never have I ran into such a scam when I trade my week for another elsewhere. These people running this place are only interested in selling condos and they will push for you to go to their 90 minute presentation. its a rip off. This was not a vacation it was horrible. The place is 18 miles from the Liberia airport but you have to pay between $40 and $45 dollars for a taxi to take you to this place. To top it off you can't drink at the pool. That's right no beer cans no alcohol at the pool. I might as well have stayed home. No dishwasher, no room service, had to reuse towels for days, spiders and red ants everywhere inside the condo, no bar, one television, NO PHONE, No activities for kids, NOTHING just a condo in the middle of what looked like the ghetto. Galveston is a better beach than this.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family