“VIP treatment”
Review of Avispas Adventures

Avispas Adventures
Ranked #7 of 77 Tours in Playas del Coco
More attraction details
Owner description: While offering all of the traditional tour packages and transportation services, Avispa’s Adventures aims to provide you with an active experience of the real Costa Rica-providing tours like no others, taking you off the beaten path for a one of a kind, matchless experience which is over and above a standard big coach tour.Avispa’s Adventures - licensed and insured - is privately owned and operated by a North American, Amy, and a Costa Rican, (Tico) Avispa. Our company provides personal attention, superior customer satisfaction and unique adventures for an unforgettable experience. It is truly our pleasure to share the natural beauty of Costa Rica through a native’s perspective, while maintaining the desired comforts and quality of service that today’s travelers expect and deserve.
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Words can not express the level of treatment we received from Amy and her Avispa tour group. I have never written a review on Tripadvisor, but this experience compelled me to do so. As you can see from their already excellent overall rating, they provide a very personal service that can accomodate your schedule and needs. We were in CR Guanacaste in early September with a group of 10+ for a wedding. We booked 3-4 different tours spread between the group and their company delivered on all aspects. As you may have read in other reviews, Amy is originally from the US so there was no communication problems and it was interesting to hear her perspective living in CR for the past few years given our group was visiting from the US as well. The most impressive thing about Avispa Adventures was the little things that they did for our group that arent listed as part of their "services".

A) We were on one of their tours during a 7.6 earthquake so our excursion was cut short due to safety reasons. Not only were we not charged for our excursion, but our driver Chepe took us to a local restaurant to eat while we waited for the chaos at our resort to settle down from the quake. Amy, whos home was damaged during the quake, took time to come out to meet us and make sure we were safe.

B) Another couple in our group missed their departing bus to Nicaragua on our last day and Avispa voluntarily raced them 30min up to their next bus stop so they could get on from there. Little things that arent listed like this.

Contact Avispa Adventures before your trip to CR, they will make sure you are taken care of from your first step in CR to your last step.

1  Thank CALVIN M
in 8 reviews
"border crossing"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Avispas Adventures made our vacation unforgettable! In particular, the Echo Adventure was filled with a luxurious visit to the Hot Springs, the Clay Mud Bath, Massage and 5 course lunch - all spectacular and relaxing and so much fun. Due to physical limitations, Avispas was able to personalize my visit so I could enjoy it like everyone else. In the Hot Springs you could have a drink from the swim up bar and sit on stools or ledges or enjoy the raised hot tub. We smeared warm clay all over us and dried in the sun. The Massage was the best ever and the masseuse was fantastic! It even took away my aches and pains! The setting was so naturally beautiful and our guide made sure that all our time was enjoyed. I must say that it was the best day I have every spent on a trip. I wish I could be here to do this every week!!!! Also available for the more adventurous is horseback riding and the zip-line as part of this tour. I chose just to relax as my business is very demanding and this day met all that I hoped and wished to enjoy. We enjoyed it so much that we were the last to leave - and they never rushed us! I highly recommend this adventure with Avispas! Thank you Amy for suggesting it to us!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Amy with Avispas Adventures is newly offering this tour that is truly unique to the area. We started this day tour by going to a local "casita" where a man and his wife make cheese and sour cream in an immaculate outbuilding on their property. The intimacy of the setting plus the honor of being invited to join this family in their home setting was certainly something you'll NEVER see with a large commercialized tour company.
We then went to a spectacular butterfly garden, once again set on the land of a local Costa Rican woman whose lifelong passion is raising butterflies. We saw the various phases from caterpillar to cocoon to butterfly, all carefully and lovingly overseen by Mariecela. Astonishingly, the process of growth of the butterfly (from caterpillar to butterfly) takes 3 months and the life of a butterfly in only one month. It was a once in a lifetime experience for me.
We then went on the home and property of Alvaro who grows coffee and macadamia nuts (delicious!). He showed us the trees, explaining the various types of beans and their unique qualities. While walking around the property we saw some huge banana trees with clusters of 200 bananas almost ready for the picking. As a totally unexpected treat, his wife and her "cooking friends" were making tamales for a local fund raiser and we had the delightful pleasure of watching this process from start to finish. I joined in the fun and learned how to layer and wrap the tamales in the leaves for cooking (40 minutes in slowly boiling water). We bought some and had them for dinner. This was a truly authentic Tico experience.
Having been on several tours with Amy and Avispas Adventures, (all are great), I have to say that this tour is one you won't find in the guidebooks! Thanks Amy, for a unique and delightful day!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I've lived here in Costa Rica for nearly 8 years and have been around the block a few times. Yesterday, I went with Avispa's Adventures on one their adventure tours that included a short horseback ride with incredible vistas of Volcan Rincon de la Vieja, some incredible ziplining through canopy and over a river gorge, a lazy swim in a warm, thermal pool and a refreshing dip in a tranquil stream in the shadow of mammoth trees in the tropical dry forest - and we ate some of the best food I've tasted here in Costa Rica! Amy, Chepe and Chele made the day fun, funny and effortless. Our group of 6 people had a wonderful time. I'm recommending them exclusively to my friends and family who come and visit this wonderful place. Thanks, Avispa's Adventures! Pura vida!

See more reviews
Reviewed October 22, 2012

On our 3rd vacation to Playas del Coco, and of course having Amy of Avispas ( for the 3rd time) be the first contact at the airport made us feel as if we were coming home after a long trip away. Although we had an adventure itinerary arranged during our stay we had the most AMAZING change in plans. From previous trips Amy was knew of my love of Turtles so when she called early Sunday morning to inform us of a change in plan because of a major Turtle arrival on a local beach we knew it had to be a great opportunity. Well, it was beyond our wildest imagination. To witness and experience what had to be more than 5000 turtles in one place on one beach all travelling to and from the ocean with the soul purpose of laying their eggs for the next generation is beyond words. Even today looking at the photos leaves my mind boggled. The fact that Amy not only remembered my personal affinity for turtles but made the arrangements at the last minute to ensure that we could experience this event not only speaks to the "above and beyond" level of customer service/satisfaction but more importantly Amy's and Avispas Adventures commitment to their customers to ensure that they experience the best that Costa Rica has to offer. Can't wait to see what adventures Amy has in store for us on our next vacation. Thanks does not say enough Amy.