“Luxurious! Beautiful! Exceptional!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playas del Coco
Denver, Colorado
“Luxurious! Beautiful! Exceptional!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

Our stay here was exceptionally! Dayana, Christian (our bartender) and Luis (our chef) were so professional as well as so friendly. They all went out of their way to make our party of 23 feel spoiled. Our daughter's wedding could not have turned out more perfect!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
southern california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

Our original reservations for Costa Rica were with the Four Seasons in a private residence. I stepped outside of my comfort zone, much to my families dismay, and searched the web for a private residence, making a decision which changed the way I will travel forever. I told my wife, my two teenage boys, and their two friends, that we were not going, after all, to the four seasons but had made the decision to stay at a villa. As we arrived at the airport waiting for us, as promised by my travel agent from Costa Rica Vacations, Christien, was a driver with a brand new 10 passenger van. He grabbed our luggage and told us all about Costa Rica on our 30 minute drive. It was dark so we couldn't view the beautiful surroundings, however, for the last half mile turned off the highway onto a dark winding dirt road. My wife was staring at me with that, what have you done look, until we rounded the final corner and drove through the gates into a beautiful setting which even at night was beyond words.
Standing there to greet us were, Dayana the concerige, Christian a gentle soul with a huge smile that nevers leaves, and the chief, Luis. Christian handed us a drink while Dayana showed us all of the 7 rooms so that we could decide which one we wanted, any of them would have been fine. They took our luggage up to our room while we sat down to a dinner which rivaled any 5 star hotel or restaurant.
The next morning we woke up to a view that starts with tree tops then ocean and then islands. I walked downstairs to the smell of fresh brewing Costa Rican coffee, breakfast, and Christians greeting with a smile. The boys got up and, again, we were treated to a breakfast designed around our requests. Dayana came out and discussed some tour options during our 10 day stay, ziplines, horseback riding, white water rafting, mud baths, snorkeling, lunch at a private beach, jet skiing, and deep water fishing, while my wife got a massage on the upper deck of the villa were all on order. On every trip Dayana came along to make sure things went smooth, she is so helpful and kind it was as if she were part of the group and a welcomed additon. She arranges everything, from lounge chairs and drinks, to private tables and lunch, perfection.
Every afternoon, or whenever you want, Christian is there when you need him, to make a perfect margarita, mojito, or virgin cocktail for the boys. Although well staffed you only know they are there because you either ask for something or notice that towels are by the pool, or your beds are made, it is if they know your every wish.
We took a walk downtown 3 times and it is as if time stood still, eveyone appreicates your attempts at their language, and is friendly. The town is an old fishing village, with some modern touches, including a great market and pharmacy.
Our 10 days flew by, and I can't wake to go back. I will agree with everyone that the pictures do not do the villa justice, but is the staff that makes all of your stress go away and wishes come true.
We will be back. Oh my gosh forgot the pool which you will just have to see to believe

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

It's been two weeks since I came home from my vacation, and I still can't stop talking about the trip. The country is beautiful and the villa is spectacular. The photos do not do it justice! It was so much better than any of us imagined it would be.

Dayana, Christian, and Luis helped make it an amazing vacation. Dayana helped us plan excursions that suited all of us so that we experienced the rainforest and the ocean. Christian was always ready to offer a drink and a smile. I have to say the pinacoloda made with fresh pineapple was my favorite. Luis cooked fabulous meals that we could not stop eating. My mouth waters just thinking of the different meals... and his guacamole was the best I've ever had! They are a terrific team!

I can't wait until it is time for another Costa Rican vacation! I will definitely be heading back to Villa Buena Onda whenever possible.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ladybug601
Ventura County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

While we were there, the Villa felt like "our house" (if our house were a villa). What I mean is that it does not feel like a hotel. It felt as if the staff worked for US, not for a corporation. I really loved the feel of the home and the decor which were elegant without being formal or stuffy. The rooms are oversized and the furniture feels oversized, too. Very comfortable. My daughter enjoyed the media room and the pool. She was warmly welcomed by the staff (in contrast to our bad experience on a cruise where children were unwelcome). All the drinks were made exactly to order as was the food--every request received the chef's personal attention. I would fly back tomorrow for the Mahi Mahi dinner! I loved the ocean view from my room and the swim-up bar. This was my third trip to Costa Rica and by far my favorite accommodation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Traveling_Mom009
Austin TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

Just read the reviews; it's all true. If the price works for you and you want to be in the Guanacaste region, stay here. All the staff are 100% professional but also super friendly folks who know when to join in the fun and when to leave guests to themselves.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank zagbag
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

We were impressed with the quality of accomodations, service, and all inclusive food and drinks. We took full advantage of the gorgeous waterfall pool while sipping on delicious piña con ladas. The villa also partners with one of the best travel agencies in the country, Costa Rican Vacations, to ensure that any excursions you plan are of the highest quality. From the villa we took tours that included jungle canopy tour, horseback riding, volcanic spa getaway, private beach picnic, coral reef snorkeling and ocean island kayaking. It was a fantastic experience!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rksilva
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband and I rented Villa Buena Onda for our daughter's wedding week. Everything was perfect and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. The concierge arranged daily excursions for our group, one day everyone went deep sea fishing and 100 pound fish were caught. Another day we had a picnic on a nearby beach and went snorkeling. The actual wedding ceremony took place at sunset around the pool and was magnificent. The staff paid attention to every detail. We highly recommend this villa for anyone who wants to be pampered in every way!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
#3 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,534 reviews
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Villa Buena Onda? Share your experiences!