I’ve traveled to eighteen countries, but this was my first trip to Costa Rica. As we planned our vacation, we researched many resorts in the country. We mainly picked the Westin because we’ve had good experiences at other Westin resorts, and we read mainly positive reviews from other travelers. The resort is represented on several travel sites, and they have a website, but none of these really do the place justice. It was even better than we had expected.
The resort is fairly large, but they will pick you up and drive you anywhere you want to go if you don’t want to walk. You need only ask. All the grounds are landscaped and well maintained. There are some interesting and friendly animals around. Our room was clean and was stocked with amenities and a full mini-fridge. Everything was in working order. Only small complaint we had was that the shower didn't get hot enough for my wife. It was hot enough for me, but she likes very hot showers. She said a couple of the other guests echoed her opinion on the showers.
The service from the staff was nothing short of spectacular. Everyone was extraordinarily friendly, and it felt genuine and sincere, not like they were just being nice because it’s their job to be nice. At one point I was standing on a resort walkway looking at a map trying to determine which way to go, and a woman on the housekeeping staff stopped what she was doing to come over to me and ask if she could give me directions. Everyone on the resort greats you with a smile and “hola” or “buenos días” as you pass by. I asked for something slightly odd from the room service and the response I received was “no problem sir, you’re the boss here; we will take care of that.” Everyone that you will interact with speaks both English and Spanish. I tipped many resort employees during the week, but I was never asked for a tip, and never made to feel like it was obligatory. I’ve stayed in about a dozen resorts, many with very good service, and I think this resort had the best service I’ve experienced.
There is something that everyone will like. In addition to the buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, they have several nice restaurants for evening dining. At least three options are open at all times during the day. You can also order room service. We tried all the specialty restaurants and loved all of them. The buffet food was average to above average… nothing I tried was bad. The specialty restaurant food was all above average to excellent. A few of the dishes that I had would rival some of the best restaurants I’ve visited… and yes, I eat in nice restaurants with some frequency. If you don’t find some food you like at this resort, you’re a food snob on a level I’ve not yet encountered.
Costa Rica is BEAUTIFUL! It’s a good blend of upscale resorts and modern conveniences, and unspoiled nature. The people are very kind and welcoming. We never felt unsafe in any of the areas we visited. When venturing off the resort, there are several vendors selling items and services, but you will not be attacked with a wave of high pressure selling like some places I’ve visited. Also, I felt like the locals were not trying to scam me. They will bargain and haggle with you on pricing, but I never felt like I was being taken advantage of. It wasn’t a shell game or three-card hustle buying experience. One of the vendors at the artisan tent on the resort property jumped up from her table and ran after a woman because she had forgotten to take her change from the transaction. It’s rare to see such a display of honesty, and this really impressed me. I can’t say enough about the good nature of the people here.
A WAY TO SAVE SOME MONEY
If you want to save money on excursions, look for Eric Garcia (red shirt) on the beach just outside of the resort gate. He will book trips through fully legitimate and insured travel companies at a reduced price. You don't pay until you start the excursion. He did us right. It was just like he promised it would be, and we paid less than the resort price for the same trip.
Don’t hesitate! Book your trip now. I would definitely recommend the Westin resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort is an eco-friendly resort in Playa Conchal, Cabo Velas, Costa Rica located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. An All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. Our retreat also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Booking.com, West Indies, Expedia, BookIt.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal