“The Name isn't Always what it Says”

The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Westin hotels are synonymous with quality and luxury. However, the Playa Conchal property is HUGE and ALL INCLUSIVE - attributes which are hardly compatible with luxury because the management simply have to fill the property. We arrived and were welcomed with the news that all 5 dining options were completely full after 6,30 p.m.!, We were then shown a de luxe suite which was totally obscured by palm trees (as are many of the suites at this property) We then paid $500 for 5 nights in the Royal Beach Club Tower 2 which has been constructed along similar lines to a secure prison with brick walls at every turn and a central core with a fountain and yet more palm trees.

Our room was of a moderate size but the bathroom had only one washbasin and little privacy when on the toilet - being behind a frosted glass door, The plug on the sink did not function correctly so shaving was not easy or comfortable and the mini bar contained a minimum of drinks.On the plus side the concierges, Jonathan and Eleliel were excellent and the shuttle service worked well. The RBS lounge was dingy and the staff there unmotivated, The RBS pool was great in that it was child-free but a number of overweight, noisy, all-day drinkers served to prove that money doesn't necessarily mean taste or good behaviour.

I believe that Westin took over this hotel from Paradisus about 3 years ago. They desperately need to improve standards in the RBS. I suggest that they knock down the 2 Towers and build really luxurious, modern suites and charge accordingly. Other points to note are :-

Restaurant Food - Uniformly good with the French restaurant our favourite.

Service - Outstanding. Ticos are lovely, helpful people. Great in hotel and golf shop.

Golf Course - Excellent resort course but fairways shaggy and greens disappointing perhaps due to overseeding.

Spa - did not use but Gigi and her team on the beach do a terrific $20 massage

Advice - stay at 4 Seasons at Papayago and see what real luxury is and play the golf course there too.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor in the RBS but don't expect luxury.Avoid peak times and the noisy all-day dr...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miloj
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear Miloj,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Westin Hotels have provided for you.
We're the first All Inclusive property on Westin, and we're proud to be pioneers in this, but is always important the guest's feedback, it provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. We are sorry that the design of the Royal Beach Club was not suitable for you, in the design of the area, and also, we regret that you cannot find a dinner reservation for 6:30pm at the day of your arrival, in high season sometimes is more complicated to book the dinner reservations, but it's glad to know that you enjoyed the food of our restaurants.
Thanks for your comments about the Royal Beach Club Concierge, and the staff. We're glad that you enjoyed the kindness of our people.
Best regards,

PR Manager

There are newer reviews for The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We traveled with 2 other couples to The Westin, Playa Conchal, and we all loved it! We were upgraded to the Royal Beach Club and enjoyed the all adult amenities there. The Concierge was so attentive, the rooms, pools, and entire resort were and beach were gorgeous. Staff wasvery friendly and helpful. Restaurants were very good. We are already planning our next stay there :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daphne Z
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Daphne Z,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We're so happy to know that you had a renewal time with us an enjoyed all the services and facilities of the Royal Beach Club.
Warm regards from Costa Rica,

Reviewed November 23, 2013

this resort is set on a nice piece of beach 30 minutes from the local airport-Liberia. the property is huge and the setting/rooms/facilities are all clean and pretty. if you are driving you leave your car at the front and are taken around by oversized golf carts. the service was friendly and helpful delivered at the usual costa rican pace .the food was good but not great. the water is drinkable throughout costa rica . the layout of the room is odd but made up for by the size.
if you get the chance, book a tour to see the turtles laying their eggs on the beach at night on playa grande--its often a wait for hours but well worth it if you like natural things.

Room Tip: pick something close to the beach & main pool
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank love2travel4242
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear love2travel4242,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We're glad to know that you had a renewal time and enjoyed all the facilities and services of our resort, and the kindness of our people as well.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was at the Westin in November of 2013. The resort was beautiful and the rooms were cozy at the Royal Beach Club and in the bungalows. The only reason I am giving the resort a 4 is because of the food. I seriously lost 5 pounds in a week being there. Of course, we walked everywhere and had a lot of exercise too. Making the reservations are a pain in the butt; that's the last thing you remember to do on a vacation. And if you do any tours and come in around 430, you're screwed. The portions are small and nothing to brag about. Everything else was great.

You will notice that there are "Westin" employees selling trips/tours and "Trip Advisor" personnel selling tours. One of the first people you will meet outside of the gate going towards the beach is Erik Garcia. Erik is amazing and very well educated with all of the happenings in the area. He can be trusted and the people that work with him are great. Benicio was our tour guide and he was great. They offer way better rates than the Westin employees and you can have more fun. If you want to stop somewhere and check something out, they don't have a problem with that. Great experience with the Trip Advisor employees!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ashley F

Dear Ashley F,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We regret that has been difficult to make reservations for restaurants and that our culinary offer was not completely satisfactory for you.
It's nice to know that you had a renewal time, enjoyed the rest of the facilities and also explored a little bit more of Costa Rica.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This experience was a 2 at best. The reason I am giving this resort a 2 is because about 25% of the people have a really good work ethic and are happy. The rest of the employees are burned out and do the very minimum.
We had gold wristbands which gave us a private pool, food and drink included. I liked the pool area and the beach was nice.
The restaurants are no better than a first class airline food. Very mediocre. I would rather stay somewhere else and pay for my food and drink. We have left twice to have dinner outside this compound.
By the way, you need to make your reservations early in the day at one of the restaurants on the grounds. Two nights ago we made a reservation at the Asian restaurant. We get there and we were not on the list of reservations. The manager DID NOT have good people skills. There were people waiting behind us and he was not going to seat us. They asked us to go back to the room to get the note which stated we had a reservation. I went to the pool phone between 8:30-8:45pm to call the concierge to get her to help. No one answered the phone. By the time I walked back we were so infuriated ............... The other couple had stayed and talked the manager into seating us. At this point we decided we did not even want to be there. We walked next door to the Latin restaurant. The person working there was happy to seat us.
It was nice except for the raccoons who were not afraid of people and kept coming up to our table. We constantly were shooing them away. They were on top of other tables eating the leftovers once people left. By the way, during the time we were having to wait to see if the manager would seat us at the Asian restaurant ...... a group of 4 people came up to us and said their reservations were messed up the day before.
Last night when we returned from eating at a nice restaurant on the beach, which is not associated with this hotel...... a women, who we have gotten to know over the last 4-5 days, she had also been behind us at the Asian restaurant when the manager wouldn't seat us..... she said her reservation for her and her family had been messed up that night. WESTIN.... this is not acceptable.
Today I was sunburned so decided to go to the doctor who officed on the property but is not part of the hotel. I walked over to the Concierge to find out where the Doctor was located. I walked over there and it was closed. I guess he was at lunch. It would have been nice if the Concierge had told me they probably would not be there. Walked back to the Concierge to see if they could make an appt. for me. The lady got the Doctor on the phone. He said he had an emergency and what was wrong. I told him I had a bad sunburn and a rash. He told me he would charge me $85 for a visit and I could just talk to the Concierge about ordering a cream from a pharmacy near by. Well the concierge called the pharmacy ......... never told me exactly what she was ordering but told me it would be $40 plus $5 fee for bringing it. She said it would be there in 15 minutes. I went to the pool and about 45 minutes to an hour later I went back. Not there. She said she would get it to my room. 2 hours passed......... I am burnt and itchy and miserable. NO one showed at my room. I show up again at the Concierge and she is standing there holding my package. I did not open it until I returned to my room.......... It was 100% Aloe Vera Gel. My gosh! $45 for aloe vera gel. I had given the concierge $2 for a tip and wish I could have at least taken it back. I am fine with the gel.......... not the $....... or the fact that I thought I was getting something else....... something that needed to be prescribed.
I must say there is one concierge, a young bright girl who when you faced the concierge desk.... the concierge building or business center, she was sitting on the right facing the computer..... well she is a wonderful employee. You can tell she likes her job and is smart.
There is also a young man who is our concierge at the Royal Plaza 2, It was his first day on the job a few days ago. His name is Jonathan and he is wonderful. Maybe because he hasn't been here that long, but he is very good.
At the pool bar, there is a bartender named Ricardo, who has a great attitude and always remembers what I drink.
It is because of the good people that do work here that I give this place a 2 star.
I think you would really enjoy Costa Rica more if you booked in a smaller boutique hotel in one of the beach towns, like Tamrindo, instead of staying here. People who stay here want to come to a place where they make no decisions....... go on group trips to see the sights around here (by the way there is a man who is reputable on the beach of this Westin and will give you the same trips for less money.
Basically, over my lifetime I've been to many Club Meds and all inclusive and decided I do best renting a car or getting a driver and staying where it is more local and you eat much better and actually have a better trip. At least I do!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Evonatlas

Dear Evonatlas,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments about the dinner reservation issues, you're completely right, this is not acceptable, and we would like to be able to correct this immediately. We also regret that our culinary offer has not been satisfactory for you.
We're sorry to know that you have suffered sunstroke, hope you're feeling better now. About the Aloe Vera Gel, unfortunately we have no control on the prices of the pharmacy, we try to do our best to help our guests in everything they need.
Please feel free to contact directly with our Guest Services Manager, Mr. Yasil Alvarado, at yasil.alvarado@westin.com, so we can investigate this further, as we would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

If you have any further questions or comments, please let us know.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

If anyone is looking for a great escape the Westin Golf Resort & Spa in Costa Rica was fabulous. We were a family of 8 staying in the Royal Beach Club. The service was fantastic and someone was always there when we needed it.
The grounds were spectacular and rooms were great....the beds were wonderful!!! Which I find great when on vacation.
My daughter got married on the resort and it was beautiful. We could not have asked for anything more.
I highly recommend staying here when visiting Costa Rica!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dale C

Dear Dale C,
Thank you very much for choosing us for your daughter's wedding.
We're glad to know that you had a beautiful time with us.
We hope you can back to visit us again soon.
Regards from Yoel, your wedding coordinator!
We will be waiting for you!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel this year and other than a few minor issues with housekeeping, I found everything about it being very satisfactory. I brought a group of clients down here and they all enjoyed it very much as well. We are every night in one of the various restaurants on the property and decided that the French and Asian were the best. Very good food, Breakfast in the buffet restaurant is also satisfactory.

My only issue this time around is housekeeping. For some reason you start out with two wash cloths, and after that you have to call for some as the maids don't leave any on a daily basis.
Room service is very good and prompt and is all a part of the program.

If you are into golf, the course on the property is very good and a stiff challenge. For a great experience you might want to go to the Four Seasons as there is not a prettier course in the country.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Reumann

Dear Reumann,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
Was a pleasure to have you back in the resort.
Thanks for your comments about the housekeeping, is important for us to know this situations to correct them and give a better service to our guests, also thanks for your comments about the restaurants and food, we're glad that you enjoyed our offer.
Warm regards from Costa Rica,

Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Address: Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica
Location: Costa Rica > Province of Guanacaste > Playa Conchal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
Price Range: $338 - $1,164 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4.5 star — The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort 4.5*
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort is an eco-friendly resort in Playa Conchal, Cabo Velas, Costa Rica located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. An All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. Our retreat also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, West Indies, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, TravelUp, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal