We stayed here for a week as part of a very large group in November and the weather was great. The facilities are very nice, well maintained and comparable to a similar type resort in the US. However, there are a few things that you should keep in mind before you go. First about food. The day we arrived we were too late to make a dinner reservation (3:00 pm). All reservation spots were already filled, the buffet was not open and room service was not an attractive option since we wanted to dine with others from our group. After three attempts and some desperate looks at empty tables we were able to get a walkup table at about 8:30pm. Also there are no snacks in the mini bar, only beverages and the day we golfed it was $8 US for a can of nuts. Suggestion #1. Make dinner reservations as early as possible in the morning to be assured of getting a table and bring some small snacks (granola bars or 100 calorie packs) especially if you are going to be on the golf course. Secondly, the beach is not a good one for swimming. While we enjoyed very much the walks we took along the beach, the surf was very rough and the beach is unguarded. We tried snorkeling, kayaking and just bobbing in the waves and found the current strong and the rocks sharp in the snorkeling area. Suggestion #2. Adjust your expectations for the beach. This is a very small beach that drops off quickly into rough surf. The pool is a better option for being in the water, there is one 3' depth area that would be good for kids without close supervision and there is a swim up bar. Lastly, there may be better excursion options to be had on the beach and the line that the hotel people give you about being uninsured and unlicensed is baloney designed to sell you the same tour for a higher price. Suggestion #3 Go outside the fence and talk to a couple of the guys on the beach offering tours. After talking to several of these people our group chose a man by the name of "Dee" Didier Sanchez Lopez. He is a former employee of one of the larger tour companies who has decided to go out on his own with his father. He took 15 of us on a tour that included zip lining, canopy bridge walk, water slide, horseback riding, volcanic mud, hot springs pools and lunch with transportation included. He is a very knowledgeable and attentive guide and personalized the tour for our group. He even, at our request, had the driver make a stop at a grocery store (Jumbo) so our group could pick up a few things. The rate for the same tour on property was $40.00 higher per person and I'm sure they would have stuck to their itinerary and not customized for the group. Final Suggestion #3 Talk to Dee on the beach.
One last comment on housekeeping. The first day we arrived we found a hanger in the bathroom with a card attached telling us that we could purchase the robe on the hanger if we wanted. However, there was no robe and one never appeared. Also we never knew what to expect for washcloths and towels. Some days we got no face towels, other days no washcloths. We called once and friends in an adjoining room requested towels for us another day. I even happened upon the maid one day after she had just finished our room without leaving washcloths and after a little bit of pantomime she showed me that she had none in her cart. I guess we were the last ones to be done each day, but a minor annoyance that kept me from giving them a five.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort is an eco-friendly resort in Playa Conchal, Cabo Velas, Costa Rica located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. An All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. Our retreat also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, West Indies, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal