“Fantastic Resort! Watch out for pricey food at the Airport”

The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Just returned from The Westin Costa Rica and I have only one word to describe this hotel. EXCELLENT. When you arrive make sure and book a la carte restaurants the whole time you are there. We arrived on a Friday and went to the buffet and I can honestly say the food is really sub par. I don't drink so the food is really important to me. We went to the buffet on Saturday and the same result. When we went back Sunday it was closed and we ended up in one of the a l carte restaurants. The food was AMAZING! We ate at all the a la cartes for the rest of the week. I have been all through the Dominican, Cuba, Saint Lucia, Mexico and have never had food like I had that week. You are in for a real treat with the food(except buffet). if you want any excursion see Eric on the beach. We tried zip lining, scuba, and deep sea fishing. Zip lining combo $100,Scuba $135(no certification) and deep sea fishing $140 for 3 hours(find Black Sparrow on the beach). Book all excursions with the guys on the beach and you will save money. Staff are amazing and do not pressure you for tips but I tipped them well as they deserved every penny.We booked our scuba dive with PACIFIC DIVING and because we were there during the low season we were the only 2 that went on the dive. We went for a short training session and then I asked them if we were going to Catalina Island for the dive as I heard this is where the best diving was. They told me yes we were going there. We boarded the boat and they took us out 5 minutes and stopped at an island just off shore. i asked them if this was Catalina Island and they said yes. Until we went deep sea fishing the next day we found out that the island we went to was NOT Catalina Island. Catalina Island is the 2 islands directly in front of the hotel. I was upset about this afterward as it was one of my things to do on my bucket list and I felt as if we were cheated by this company. One last thing you MUST be warned of. When you go home and you are in Liberia Airport there are 2 restaurants in there. One is a Quizzinos sub shop and the other is the sit down restaurant. My son and I went to sit down restaurant and had lunch before we boarded the plane. We had 2 salads, 2 sandwiches, 2 diet Pepsi and one cappuccino. THE BILL CAME TO $98.45 US!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost died! The prices are in their currency and by the time you know what is going on you are screwed. i went and complained and he said everyone complains. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Other than that one episode in the Airport I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank nico b b
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear nico b b,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
We're glad to know that you had a great time with us and you enjoyed all our facilities and services.
We will love to have you back soon!
Warm regards,

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Just beautiful!! We had a very relaxing time!! We enjoyed so much on the Royal Beach Club. We loved the pool... People are very nice, always greeting the others very politely and smiling, food is healthy and delicious and coctails are the best!!! Our bedroom was confortable and I felt in love with the bed (now I hate my own bed). I hope we have the chance to go back pretty soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karla E

Dear Karla E,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
We're so happy to know that our resort meet your expectations and you had a renewal time at Westin. Also, we're glad that you enjoyed your heavenly bed! this beds are designed by Westin to provide you a renewal rest.
We will love to have you back.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

A big thank you to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal.

You treated Ameritel with such hospitality EACH AND EVERY DAY of our trip. Each and every one of us want to come back! A special thank you to Yasil Alvarado of the Westin for being so AWESOME! You really went out of your way to make sure all of the details were tended to and made sure our group was having the trip to remember forever. Swiss Travel and their staff were perfect to work with as well, thank you.

Each day the dining was reserved for our large group, accommodating us all at one table AND WITH GREAT SERVICE!!! Meals were fantastic with a good variety!

The rooms couldn't have been more lovely at the Royal Tower.

I can say that the SPA was heavily used by our group. Some of us with one visit, some two and I am a member of the x three visits club! SUPER, SUPER, SUPER!

What can I say... Costa Rica and the Westin gave us a taste of what we all want more of!

~Look forward to seeing you all again next year perhaps!

Room Tip: This was our second visit. The Royal Beach Club is definitely the way to go. Our first trip we sta...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear AmeritelCorporation Team,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, we loved having you here!
We're happy to know that you had a renewal and funny vacations with us, and enjoyed all the services of the Royal Beach Club and the Spa.
Thanks for your kind comments about our staff, especially Yasil, he's a precious piece of our team and we're proud to have him with us.
We will love to have you back!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a lovely place, but I did not feel like I was having a very authentic Costa Rican experience. Of course, I expected this, knowing I was going to a nice private, walled resort. My family went here because of a large family vacation--we did not choose this resort. Nevertheless, we had very much fun with our small children. The pools were wonderful during the hot days of summer when we were in Playa Conchal. The staff at the resort was really incredible, too. We felt so welcomed by the young, smiling staffers at the pool cabana who played games and did crafts with our kids. They were so friendly and approachable--their sincere enthusiasm was contagious. Also, so many of the resort's cart-shuttle drivers were very friendly, talkative, and kind. The bell-hops and all of the front desk staff offered A+ service. I want to thank especially Tri, who went out of his way to do a terrific job for the visitors at this Westin. Pura Vida, Westin!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Brandon C

Dear Brandon C,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our resort.
We're glad to know that you enjoyed the facilities and services of our hotel, but is regrettable that you feel that you didn't live the Costarrican experience, we try to provide our guests an authentic piece of our beautiful country with some activities like the coffee tasting, the costarrican cuisine class, the traditional dishes and drinks, the shows at nights, the typical day and, of course, the tours that offer our partners of Swiss Travel.
We hope that during your next visit you can explore a little bit more about our beautiful Costa Rica.
Warm regards and pura vida,

Things to believe:

This place is amazing.
The Royal Beach Club is worth it.
Go see Eric on the beach and book all your activities with him.

Ok, this was our first all inclusive experience and boy were we pleased. The grounds are amazing, the staff is so courteous, and the food was fantastic.

I am a loyal SPG Platinum traveler and being a road warrior we decided on this property because, to be frank, we wanted to use our points. Two things about this... First, we never felt like second class citizens because we were staying on points and secondly, platinum status makes a difference. For those of us with status, its nice being appreciated. The entire resort works on a class system of sorts, identified by the arm band you are wearing (we had to figure it out). The color of the band denotes access to certain areas i.e. Royal Beach Club pool and lounge and also the caliber of liquor used in drinks when ordered.

Things I would like to stress about this resort. Believe all the positive hype about this location, everything is amazing. The staff, the food, the beds, the rooms, the service, the location, EVERYTHING. Every request is accommodated, and it is just an amazing place. I cant stress that enough. The one thing that I can reiterate, make sure you do your homework before you get there, and plan on booking your meal plans when you arrive. We preferred some restaurants over others, but I stress that you try them all. They are all unique and worth enjoying.

Don't worry about the weather, even though they have their "rainy seasons" don't let it deter you from visiting during those times. The weather comes and goes quickly and still affords an amazing experience with little interruption. We were very concerned about how this would impact us, it didn't. Beautiful all day and daily rain between 1-5PM from 30 minutes to 1-2 hrs.

Lastly, Eric on the beach. What a trip... He knows he's famous, you cant miss him. We booked several outings (Mega Tour, ATV, Surfing, Scuba Diving, beach massages ((a must...really? $20 for an hour massage?))) and they were all fantastic, amazingly priced, and even though they might've started sketchy, ended amazing. Eric is just the middle man, working as a broker for other companies and their services. Again, his prices were significantly cheaper than the less friendly "Westin affiliated" organization located in the rear of the resort.

Starwood knows they have a winning formula here, I have spoken with their customer relations department and they have expressed corporate interest in deploying more of these types of properties.

A+ Westin...A+

We will return...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt A

Dear Matt A,
Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience and all your kind comments about our resort.
We love to have SPG Platinum in house, very important guests for us, and we're happy to know that your time with us meet your expectations.
Thanks for choosing us for your vacations, and we will be waiting for your next visit.
Warm regards and pura vida!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was a loyal Trip Advisor review reader before my husband and I went to the Westin for our 5th anniversary trip so I feel it is only fitting that I write a review for all the other OCD planners out there. We stayed 9/19-26 in the Royal Beach Club, Tower 1.

Resort: The grounds are beautiful and expansive. This place is HUGE! – Especially when you factor in the golf course. I had read other reviews that it was a pain to walk and that everything was far away – we have a completely opposite opinion. We loved that the resort was spread out. After all the amazing food and drinks it felt great to get in a little walk. Also, the grounds are so beautiful and full of wild life it was a great opportunity to take it all in. However, if you are adamantly against any form of exercise, there are drivers zipping around all the time. If we would have wanted, there was always an opportunity for a lift.

Food/Drink: All the restaurants are amazing. We especially enjoyed Spirula (pizza) and Caracola for lunch. The Asian and Mediterranean were our favorites for dinner. At the bar we drank Dirty Monkeys and ‘Gijuirros’ almost exclusively all week. Dirty Monkey’s are a banana, coffee liquor, chocolate frozen concoction. ‘Gijuirros’ – not sure if I spelled that right – is Costa Rican sugar cane rum and Fresca, it was perfectly refreshing for the hot, humid days. We even bought a bottle of the rum and have been enjoying a little piece of Costa Rica back home!

Excursions: Of course we went with Erik after all the rave reviews. We had massages on the beach with his wife Gigi – 20 mins for an hour -- and they were AMAZING! We also did the Mega Tour – horseback riding, zip lining, a crazy slide, mud bath, hot springs, and one of the best meals we had all week! The tour really had it all and was completely worth the full day! We also jumped on board a deep sea fishing trip that needed one more couple. This was through Swiss I believe. It was one of the most memorable experiences we have had. We saw whales, dolphins, and tons of sea turtles. We caught tons of Bonita, which we threw back. We caught Mahi Mahi and Wahoo that the guides fileted right there on the boat and bagged up for us. We took it back to the resort and the chefs prepared us dinner – with fish we caught just a few hours prior! It doesn’t get any fresher than that.

We had heard from almost everyone that it was safe to leave the resort unescorted and visit the neighboring towns. However, we were still a little skeptical, every other country we had visited it was strictly forbidden to leave the resort without a guide, etc. We finally worked up the courage the last day and walked just 5 mins up the beach to Brasilito. I really wish we had done it earlier in the trip! It was such a cool little town and everyone was so friendly. We ate lunch at the Golden Shrimp – which was amazing! The owner has a menu but really it’s just whatever they catch that day. We visited their little ‘supermercados’ and bought rum, coffee, and Lizano (very good Costa Rican sauce).

Unfortunately, we ran out of time and didn’t get to do everything we wanted. When we go back we will do the ATV tour with Erik as well as take a cab up to Tamarindo to explore, eat, and surf!

Royal Beach Club: Even though we went in the off-season and children were sparse; the extra to stay in the RBC was completely worth it in our opinion. We loved our concierges (John, David, and David), they were so helpful and we don’t know what we would have done without them. Nothing against children, but I don’t pay the big bucks to have them screaming and running around while I’m trying to relax on vacation. For this reason, we never did visit the main pool – even with only a few children there it was apparent there wasn’t much relaxing to be had there. Our quiet, calm RBC pool was perfect! The rooms were clean and inviting and had everything we needed for the few hours we spent in it.

Things to do: The resort has a daily list of activities that go on through out most of the day. There was always something to do. We did the tequila tasting, wine tasting, and coffee tasting. They also had group fitness classes, and plenty of other activities. Like other reviewers had said it does get pretty calm at night. We went during their slow season so it was even more apparent. However, this didn’t bother us in the least. After a day full of excursions and sun topped off with a big dinner we were ready for bed anyways. We did hear that Tamarindo is a good time at night and you can get a cab for pretty cheap – we had planned on going but we were always too tired!

I can’t complete my review without raving about the staff. Everyone from the RBC front desk, our concierges, bartenders, hostesses, servers, activity leaders, and even grounds keepers that we ran into were so nice, welcoming, and helpful. They really made our vacation perfect. We have raved about Costa Rica and the Westin ever since we returned home. We have recommended it to family and friends; and we are already looking to plan our next trip as soon as possible! Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Royal Beach Club, Tower 1. We were on the 2nd floor and had a pool view. We loved everything about o...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kendall K

Dear Kendall K,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us!
We're happy to know that your anniversary trip meet your expectations, and that you enjoyed your time in our Royal Beach Club.
Thanks for your kind comments about the food and services, also, it's good to you know that we have a daily shuttle service to Tamarindo for the next time that you come to visit us.
We will be waiting for you!
Pura Vida!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Westin does it right. Food was AmaZinG! The fine restaurants for dinner will not disappoint... This place is top notch. We stayed at tower 1, Royal Beach Club and our butlers, David and Nelson, did everything for us but tuck us in at night. I really wanted to zip David our butler up into my suitcase but was afraid he would get homesick. I cannot say enough about the level of service these sweet Costa Ricans gave us. They were fantastic. The resort was beautiful, pretty secluded, so if you are ok with just rolling out of bed, plopping in a lounge chair, bellying up to the bar, and coasting to dinner, this is the place to do it. We only stayed in CR for 4 days, and did the ATV excursion (which was money well spent, we actually did it twice) with Erik AKA "beach information" Erik with the blue and white soccer shirt on.. Btw, his wife's has a beach massage place on the beach that gives hour massages for 20 bucks. Not a bad deal at all. And they give a really good massage, trust me I am an expert in the subject matter of massages. Back on point, you cannot beat the Westin, fantastic place! I may visit CR again, but next time in the dry season, beautiful country and foliage but didn't pack for wet weather!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kgeles

Dear kgeles,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us,
We're happy to know that you had such a great time in our resort, and enjoyed the facilities, the culinary offer and the beautiful Royal Beach Club.
We will love to have you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Conchal
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Address: Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica
Location: Costa Rica > Province of Guanacaste > Playa Conchal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
Price Range: $370 - $1,214 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4.5 star — The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort 4.5*
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort is an eco-friendly resort in Playa Conchal, Cabo Velas, Costa Rica located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. An All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. Our retreat also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, BookIt.com, West Indies, TravelUp, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal