“Wonderful Resort, Great Food and Great People !!!!”

The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wonderful Resort, Great Food and Great People !!!!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at this resort in October 2012. it was a lovely resort, great food, great people, and best of all, we lucked out on the great weather. It was hot and sunny every day. The morning buffet was so well presented, most of the dishes had the pretty silver covers on them, so no birds would get at them. All the food at this resort was very delicious. We did the buffet and A La Cartes, and loved all of them. Our room was very modern, spacious, almost like a small apartment, i could have lived there forever and ever, really. We stayed in one of the Deluxe suites. There is a lot of wildlife at this resort, especially coati's. They really are cute, we took a lot of pictures. There is a monkey there too, and we could hear him at night but never got to see him. We did one one excursion in a van which was a lot of fun. the driver stopped on the side of the road where we took a lot of pictures of monkeys (my favorite animal) and then we proceeded onto a small boat where we saw Alligators, and the white-faced monkeys as well as different species of birds. The pool was my favorite, as i would just walk in on a ramp going down, and the water was just so perfect. The only downfall of this resort was the beach, when you first walk in there is a big drop. My husband went in but i was afraid as i am not a swimmer and don't go past my waist in water. Other than that, we both absolutely loved this resort, lots of golf carts to take you around, great service. We really hope to be visiting this resort again some, but this time with more family members on board !!!!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the apartment villas and you will feel like a King and Queen !!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear chumzy,
Thank you so much for your kind comments.
We're very happy to know that you enjoyed fully your time in our resort, our facilities, service and food and that you saw some monkeys and wildlife!
They and us will be waiting for your next visit.

PR Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great resort! Customer service was excellent. Love the activities, Kenny, Jorge and Daniel were great! They brought so much energy to the resort. Thanks guys for making our trip that much better! Food was above average, room was nice and beach was very nice. Highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Shannon O,
Thank you for choosing us for your Honeymoon! We're honor, and also thanks for leave us a review.
We're very happy to know that you had a great time with us, thanks for your comments about the resort, facilities, food, service and the activities staff, they will be happy to read this.
Hope to see you again soon!

Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We spent the last week of June at the Westin. Overall we had a great time. As for the highlights:
- The property is beautiful, a great view from the lobby, we enjoyed the sunset during dinner time
- Lots of wild life, you are surrounded by nature everywhere you go
- So much to do - we got great deals from Erik Garcia - right outside of the entrance to the beach (Hi from Eva :) - all excursions were excellent: zip-lining, ATV, combo trip to waterfalls / volcano / hiking / hot springs and mud bath. Rico Suave is such a gem - he made our private trip so special!
- Massages on the beach - look for Gigi
- Food was fine, we liked the Mediterranean and Italian restaurants the most
- There is decent snorkeling from the beach - on the right side by the rocks (we did get stung by jellyfish one evening though during high tide)
Things to watch out for:
- Area around the pool gets slippery when wet - so watch out
- Bug repellent is a must
- Some rooms do not have an open balcony (it is closed in) - so if you like to sit outside with a cup of coffee you may want to ask for a room with the open outdoor space
Overall this is an excellent all-inclusive option especially if you like to explore the nature and look for activities outside of the resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear I_and_E_NJ,
Thank you so much for your kind comments.
We're glad to know that you had a good time with us, enjoyed our facilities and food, and explore a little bit more of Costa Rica.
About the rooms with closed balconies or terraces, we also have this option because some guests prefer to have it closed, but you can ask in the front desk if you have one with balcony or terrace outdoors, we will work to please you.
We hope you can visit us again soon.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2013

In case anyone is looking for a specific category...I am going to break my review up into sections so you don't have to read the whole thing to get one piece of information you may be looking for. Overall, the people and the hotel were wonderful. We were lucky enough to get out of the resort and experience other parts of Costa Rica as well. We definitely recommend trying local cuisine for lunch if you're out. Just stop somewhere on the road (Toad Hall was amazing) and you'll be surprised. Some places we stopped weren't so tourist friendly...but they were just as good. It was also fun to shop in the local grocery stores. There is a ton of local stuff that was pretty tasty (Tona beer from Nicaragua is awesome). If you don't want to leave the hotel...that's great too...it was awesome.

TRANSPORTATION: My husband and I chose to rent a car and had the rental company pick us up from the airport. We loved having our own car at our disposal but don't recommend this option for people who aren't comfortable driving out of the US, don't have experience doing it or can't drive a manual. We were able to drive ourselves on our own excursions which saved us time and money and let us have freedom to come and go from the resort as we pleased (which we did to visit nearby towns). We purchased a decent map off Amazon and were good to go. We paid $10 for the map and found the same one in Costa Rica for $20...so buy one prior.

CHECK-IN and ACCOMMODATIONS: We flew into Libera and flew through the airport...plane to rental car transport in literally 10 minutes. Super fast, it was awesome. Very nice airport. Check in at the hotel was easy and quick. We were told to bring our marriage license if we were on a honeymoon so we did. We did not get upgraded to the RBC (like we had read so many couples had) but we did get champagne service, chocolate strawberries, turn-down services and what not. We were ok without the upgrade, the junior deluxe suite rooms (standard version) are nicer than the RBC standard. The rooms were constantly filled with towels...this hotel loves to give you fresh towels. The hazelnut chocolates they leave are delicious too. The water does not get hot...barely lukewarm. You have to barely turn on the faucet to get warm water (the cold side) and if you want cold water, turn it all the way to hot. Not a big deal once I figured it out...I just love HOT showers and would have preferred the water to be warmer.

RBC- we concluded that it wasn't worth the money. We decided that we would have taken an upgrade, but we wouldn't pay an extra 100 something a night for an adults only pool...we would just go to an adults only resort.

POOL- No trouble finding chairs, they were comfortable and it was a nice temperature of water. It was refreshing, but not cold. The pool area was clean, they are constantly coming around and picking up people's trash (which I found kinda sad...throw away your own trash...there are recycle bins and trash containers EVERYWHERE). They were only out of towels twice and both times were right after a huge rainstorm when everyone's towels were soaked. No big deal, we came back 5 minutes later and they were there, nice and warm.

ROOM SERVICE: Pretty decent. We wish there were a few more small portion/snack options (guacamole and chips, cheese plate, etc.) to snack on...we sometimes got hungry between lunch and dinner but didn't want to lose an appetite on the huge club sandwich (we loved that one). The blueberry orange granola pancakes were awesome and my husband enjoyed the American Breakfast. Sometimes they forgot to give salt and pepper...so if tis is hugely important to you...make sure you ask. They always quoted 40-45 minutes...we typically got it within 30 minutes.

RESTAURANTS: If you love seafood...you'll be in heaven, I was. My husband can't eat it and his options were very limited. We had no trouble getting reservations for 8pm. The hotel gives you a list of which place is closed each night (off-season) so you can just figure out what you want and go. We were able to walk-in to restaurants as well. It wasn't a big deal.
Bamboo-Asian Fusion: We went here twice. I enjoyed the pad Thai (I asked them to make it extra spicy...and it was really good this way) one night and the green curry chicken another night. My husband swapped chicken for shrimp in the pad Thai one night and didn't ask for it spicy and it was good but slightly underwhelming. Spicy is the way to go. He got the vegetarian fried rice another night and felt the same way. The spring roll appetizer is decent. You MUST get the friend pineapple and fried banana desserts...so delicious.
Faisanela- Italian: We ate here 3 times. The third time was because we ran out of options we were interested in trying at the other restaurants. I had the chicken pizzaiola (pretty good) the green tortellini (yummy) and the lasagna (just alright). He had the pesto pasta (twice, it was better one time than the other) and linguine carbonara (good but heavier than we are used to). The tiramisu was alright, but the strawberry ice cream thing is delicious.
Cauri- lobby bar restaurant. I had a delicious tilapia. My husband's steak was cooked more than he preferred. It was good...but not good enough for us to walk all the way there again.
Mitra- buffet: we never ate here for dinner but did do breakfast here most mornings and were always happy with it. I loved the beans and rice with corn tortilla and hot sauce. They had an egg bar which my husband enjoyed, but, I'm really picky about my eggs so I just got the pre-made ones and put them with the beans and rice so I couldn't feel the texture as much. They are quick to fill your coffee and water/juice.
Spirula- pizza by the pool- YUM. The diablo pizza was my favorite. My husband liked the buffalo chicken.
Las Candelas: Latin cuisine: It was decent. I had empanadas for an appetizer and my husband had something with guacamole (soooo much guacamole). I enjoyed the Mahi-Mahi (it says sea bass, a typo, on the menu) and my husband's meat was slightly overcooked. The desserts here were the best in the whole resort. I had ice cream on a fried pastry and he had a cookie looking thing with ice cream. Amazing.
Caracola- poolside bar. We ate here once when it rained (perfect timing). He had a chicken wrap and I had the tuna salad sandwich...this is not canned tuna salad...this is a hunk of legit tuna. It was good. The guacamole is just alright.
Mediterra- Mediterranean restaurant- I had something with shrimp which was alright and my husband had the spinach ricotta lasagna...which was really good. We didn't do dessert or apps here.

WEATHER: it was in the low to mid 80's while we visited (June 19-27th). It rained maybe 5 times...short shower in the afternoon then a couple longer evening ones. No big deal. We live in Florida so it was actually refreshing.

EXCURSIONS: We did not buy any. Everyone swore by Eric Garcia and we definitely saw him standing on the beach asking us if we wanted to purchase something... each time we walked by. We just aren't really the let's make new best friends with strangers on our honeymoon type of people. We wanted to spend time with each other and explore the area together. Which is why we rented a car and did it all ourselves for a WHOLE lot cheaper. Renting the car let us take our time and stop and see things along the way. We took a day trip to the Hanging Bridges, La Fortuna and the waterfalls near the Arenal Volcano. It was amazing. We didn't have time for the hot springs, but heard good things. We also drove over to Tamarindo and took surfing lessons at Tamarindo Surf School. Gerald was our instructor and he was awesome. It was $35/pp for a group lesson...we were the only ones in the group. This was cheaper than purchasing a 2 person private lesson. We reserved this online prior to our honeymoon (I think it was a web rate). We got up on the boards right away...a totally great experience in a famous surfing location. We both loved it. We chose to go back to Tamarindo two days later and just walk around and visit local bars and the beach. The hotel has a shuttle that will take you, but you have to wait about 6 hours for it to pick you up...another reason to drive yourself. The main strip isn't THAT big. So make sure you want to be there for 6 hours...or hire a cab to take you back.

COMPLAINTS:
-I love hot water. The water in our hotel room only got warm. My husband thought it was perfect but I didn't like it. The faucets got hot though...
-Kids in the pool. It's not that there were kids in the pool...it's that their parents didn't monitor their kids to make sure they weren't cannonballing right next to people who were on the quiet side reading books. Parents...seriously, watch your kids. Everyone wants to enjoy the pool.
-Toilet paper. Sounds silly but when I asked my husband of things he'd change, it's the first thing he said. "You'd think the Westin would have better toilet paper".
-Overcooked meat- This isn't really a complaint because I understand it. We have read of people complaining of getting sick so they are probably overcooking things to avoid any kind of food illness possibility.

ETC: People have been writing about becoming sick in a lot of reviews and blaming the staff (it couldn't be that you drank too much at the hotel bar...could it???). We always witnessed staff in gloves, masks, sanitizing and washing. We were perfectly fine. We ate at local places on the side of the road (like...not tourist local, but local people local) and we were fine.

ANIMALS: There are beautiful animals everywhere, by the pool, in the trees, in the restaurants (birds fly through the open ones sometimes), outside your room door, EVERYWHERE. Don't feed them, and don't leave trash around and they will leave you alone. It made me sick when we were there and people would swat them with their towels or throw cups at them to get them away. Guess what, you're in Costa Rica, the hotel is on a Reserve and the animals live there. It's quite clear when you read about the resort. If you don't like it...go somewhere else, don't be mean to the animals. You're on their turf. With that said. And Iguana did jump onto my lounge chair by the pool to take my lunch. Took me by surprise, but I got out of my seat and let him go about his business. He wasn't after me.

Enjoy your stay! It's totally worth it :)

Room Tip: We stayed in 4382. Building 38. Right next to the pool and restaurants. It also had a glass enclosed...
1 Thank sz_ski
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear sz_ski,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review and share your experience with us.
We're happy to know that you and your husband had a great time with us and enjoyed your honeymoon, thanks for choosing us for this special dates.
Also, thanks for your suggestions, we will keep it in mind and we're very glad to know that you enjoyed the facilities, the food and the wildlife.
Hope to visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I came to Playa Conchal for the first time together in late June 2013. The Westin was far more gorgeous than the Starwood website could even illuminate. It is a massive resort nestled Into he rainforest and you are showered with warmth and hospitality upon our arrival. We were upgraded to a beachfront suite in building and the room was AMAZING! The food was delicious, except the Asian fusion was kinda wack. The drinks were great but it was bottom shelf liquor. We ordered room service every morning for breakfast and ate in our robes in the entrance room to the suite. The service was great and the weather was perfect. It didn't even rain during rainy season despite the weather report which called for thunderstorms everyday.

During off season the room was only $279 on the government rate! Great deal for a suite and all you can eat and drink!

I would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2013
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear DistinguishedVP,
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review.
We're happy to know that you and your girlfriend had an amazing time with us.
We hope to see you again soon.
Best regards,

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just returned from the Westin for a family vacation for our daughter's wedding. Exceeded our expectations, and hers. The staff at the resort is friendly and genuinely upbeat, very helpful at all times. Food was wonderful and available no matter what your schedule. The guys went on a fishing excursion, all caught Mahi and Tuna, that they brought back to the resort and was prepared by the Caracola staff that was SUPERB!! Rooms were beautiful, clean, spacious and well stocked. The wildlife is all around. Beach is beautiful. Used the resorts Kayaks for a beautiful look at the coastline from the water. Booked a few AWESOME excursions with Erik Garcia right on the beach such as ATV ride, as well as a custom excursion for our group that included zip lines, waterfalls, volcanos (ask for Rico Suave' as tour guide-made the trip a blast). Also used him for trips to local "super"market for Costa Rican coffee, and trips to neighboring beaches for surfing. There is so much to do and see...but also just enjoyed the pool, swim up bar, and beautiful grounds filled with birds, monkeys, kota mundi, iguanas. Wedding was pulled off well, even though it rained their back up plan was wonderful, minister made it special, the reception was beautiful, and the photographers Gogo and Alex did a FABULOUS job. Pictures are beyond gorgeous! Wedding planner was a little less communicative before she arrived at the resort than my daughter would have liked being an anxious bride, but overall everything turned out fantastic and the whole group had a splendid vacation. Use tour guides whenever possible, as they give you so much info about this beautiful country of Costa Rica. Cant wait to return!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Peggy S,
Congratulations for your daughter's wedding! we're honor that we have been chosen by you for this important celebration! Thanks for all your kind comments and we're happy to know that Daniella made a good work with you, she's very professional.
We are looking forward your next visit.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had an absolutely amazing honeymoon at the Westin. The staff from the second we got off the airplane to the second we stepped back on the airplane was ready to help us any chance they got! The food was fantastic, with several different restaurant options. We went to bed full and satisfied every single night. The pool and beach were also amazing. Our favorite part of the trip were all of the excursion options. We booked all of our excursions (Adventure Tour and Catamaran) through Erik. He stands right outside the entrance to the beach. He set us up on both of these amazing trips. The adrenaline tour was awesome (only 4 people). We drove up to the volcanoes and went zip lining, rafting, rock climbing, rapelling, and rope swinging with the best guide ever, Rodrigo (Rigo Suave). Rigo was fantastic, knowledgeable and fun. We also took an amazing catamaran tour setup by Erik with Jesus. We went out for a sunset sail and got to go snorkeling in an amazing secluded location. We also got beach massages from Erik's wife Gigi. He told us that she had hands of an angel and i would definitely agree after having two massages. It was very private and intimate with the sounds of the waves, and very affordable. Best massages i have ever gotten, including at spas.

All around it was fantastic and would like to thank the hotel staff, Erik, Rodrigo, Jesus, and Gigi for an incredible trip!!!!

2 Thank Jcooper616
Dear Jcooper616,
Thank you very much for your kind comments, we're happy to know that you had a fantastic honeymoon with us! We love honeymooners and the resort by itself is very romantic.
We hope to celebrate with you your anniversary! we will be waiting.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Conchal
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!