The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Great value for the price! What I liked about the place was the all inclusive meal package. The food was excellent! Lots of choices. My family end up using their group excursion tour and we had so much fun! We did the eco tour (zip line) and the catamaran tour as well. The tour operators were courteous and the prices reasonable. The hotel staff were super friendly and they tried accommodating our needs to make sure we were comfortable

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank KP C
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear KP C,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
We're glad to know that you enjoyed our service, food and facilities, also that you explore a little more of Costa Rica.
Hope you can visit us again pretty soon.

Zasha Pérez Gallardo

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our 4th anniversary trip, and were very happy with the our choice to stay at The Westin Playa Conchal. Upon arrival, my husband and I were just taken with the beautiful property. It has a gorgeous open air lobby, sitting on top of an amazing hill, overlooking a massive golf course. The property is just fantastic! Our check in for most hotels out of The States never go as smooth as I would hope, but we were lucky enough to be upgraded to the Royal Beach Club. I would recommend a better training for the front desk staff..they are your first impression and are not up to the quality (SOME of the front desk not all) of the rest of the resort.

Keep in mind, I dont think this hotel has many King Sized Beds, and we went to great lengths to try and get one reserved in advance. Although a king sized bed wasnt available to us the first two days, we did end up switching rooms on our third night.

The main pool is simply STUNNING. Its HUGE. You will never have any trouble getting a solid yummy drink. The Pina Colada and Dirty Monkey were amazing. The food was a mixture of GREAT to Average...but I truly believe the value is there at this hotel. Room service was great. The pool by the Royal Beach Club is smaller, but very private, and is the only pool with a jaccuzi. I would say to be warned: stomach bugs are very common in Costa Rica, especially during rainy season. Although we washed our hands multiple times a day and were very careful, both my husband and I got a bit sick. Didnt stop us from having fun though.

This is a HUGE hotel, but truly beautiful. There is always a car/cart willing to take you wherever you want to go.

Shout out to Erik Garcia, the hardest working man in Costa Rica. We went with his company to springs/ziplining, horse back riding on the beach (we actually galloped at sunset!), massages with Gigi, and a boat tour that allowed white faced monkeys to literally jump on our boat and eat out of our hands. We saw Crocodiles eat meat right next to our boat..CRAZY! Shout out to Parrot as well, and our fav tour guide Rico Suave..they dont make guides like Rico Suave anymore---he truly loves his life and job.

Be warned, there are insects everywhere, so bring your bug spray and be prepared to be a little itchy...also wear lots of SPF as the sun is very strong. The roads in Costa Rica are VERY BUMPY so if you do rent a car...DEFINITELY GO FOR A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE--its needed. You will never be bored at this resort..so much to do! Water aerobics was probably the best Ive taken at any resort. The pasta and pizza were especially yummy.

Though some of this review may make it seem like we were a bit uncomfortable, the staff is so amazing and they truly live the Pura Vida lifestyle. You end up having so much fun, no matter what!

Costa Rica is a special place full of adventure at every corner. Highly recommend this hotel for a true getaway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SharaStrand

Dear SharaStrand,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
For us, was an honor to have you here, we're glad to know that you enjoyed your stay in our resort, the facilities, the food and the Royal Beach Club, also is nice to know that you explored a little bit more of Costa Rica.
We are looking forward your next visit.
Warm regards and pura vida!

Zasha Pérez Gallardo

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I had what i would call an overall bad experience at the Westin. First - on arrival they told me my booked room was unavailable - a suite - but would put me in a "private club area" that had its own pool and serviced top label liquor. Also - didn't have a king bed as reserved, but would push 2 queens together. Oh - and this was more expensive but no price increase - so great deal for us!!

Room was shoddy, 2 beds pushed is awful, bathtub never functioned and the top shelf liquor might as well have been magical invisible liquor because there is no way to know what it is or where it is available.

The ultimate insult to the trip however was the lengths that the staff went to making this trip unenjoyable. For an all-in-one property - the staff was throughly reluctant to provide anything to us. Our room was never stocked with any drinks or snacks unless we happened to see the cart outside and grabbed stuff or told the staffer to give us stuff. This isn't high end product either - sodas and crackers.

The best trick however was the inability to make a reservation in almost any of the hotel restaurants for dinner (all-inclusive remember!) and then the outright lying to my face at the restaurants when they told me they were all full and could not seat us. At most, no restaurant was 1/2 full on any night of my visit. Upon calling the reservation desk, all of the places were booked within 5 minutes of open on each day. This after the concierge pretty much declined to make reservations for me before we arrived.

I understand the math of an all-inclusive resort, but Westin seemed inclined to go out of their way to make our trip unenjoyable - so much that we had almost no desire to stay after 2 days and had to endure the lying and poor service for the remainder of the trip.

I'm guessing that the Coati like the place enuff to return - but i would never go back and have encouraged all others i know to skip it as well. Westin/Starwood should be embarrassed of this place...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank D L
WestinConchal, Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear D L,

Thank you for sharing this review of your February vacation at our resort. I sincerely apologize for the shortcomings encountered and for disappointing you in a number of ways.

Unfortunately, it is not always possible to accommodate bedding requests, especially in high season; our Front Desk staff strives to please most everybody and this sometimes entails changing the room on the second night of a guest’s stay. In some occasions and when a guest prefers not to change rooms —as was your case— we offer to put two double beds together, in an effort to please our customers. I am sorry to know that, though initially accepted, this solution was not finally agreeable to you.

Finally and as per restaurant reservations, we always suggest to book al dinner reservations upon arrival, directly through our Front Desk Agent.

Again, we apologize for these isolated incidents.

Victor Gomez
Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 16, 2013

we stayed for 9 nights with our 3 kids during their spring break. Our rooms were very nice, the pool exceeded expectations and the staff and locals we met were warm and welcoming. Eric and his team on the beach were a pleasure to deal with and organized two enjoyable excursions.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank William B
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear William B,
Thank you so much for share your comments with us, we're very happy to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our resort.
Hope to see you soon again.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had a great week in Costa Rica at another site but we needed one more night at another place so we unforntunately chose this Westin based on reviews here Zagat and my experience with Starwood hotels (I am Gold status).

First problem was when I checked in that I was told I would have $180 extra charge because of the size of my party. (5 adults and 1 child) for two rooms. I decided to buy a third room to avoid the charges.

Next problem started when my rooms weren't ready when promised. I arrived at 11am and was told latest 3pm (contratual check in time) but room wasn't ready until 4 pm despite being told they would do everything they could to get us in before 3.

Upon riding to our rooms we met a nice couple from NY that were unhappy with their stay (bad food, poor quality rooms, etc). Our experience confirms the experience they described. Run down rooms, bad quality food and poor service.

The icing on the bad cake was served at checkout when I was told I would have extra charges for the number of people in the rooms. They tried to charge me for a party of eight when I only had 6 plus a higher rate for the extra room I purchased to avoid the extra person charges. After thirty minutes of explainations and almost missing my transportation I got it all resolved.

Now I spend my time upset writing this review as I head to the airport when I could be reflecting on my other wonderful experience earlier in the week.

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank Carl H
WestinConchal, Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Carl H,

We appreciate the time you took to share this review of your recent visit to our property.

We sincerely apologize for the confusion upon registration related to the extra charges; as you experienced and unlike most all other Starwood hotels & resorts, being an All-Inclusive property means that children incur a rate too, which considers the food & beverage portion of the stay. For seasoned Starwood travelers, this uniqueness might indeed become a disturbance.

Mr. Carl H, due to the vastness of our resort, the wide offering of gastronomic options and the array of available activities, one day might not be enough to fully enjoy the hotel. I hope that all other aspects of the stay were to your liking and that our staff proved to be helpful and courteous.

Victor Gomez
Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Our first all-inclusive experiment turned out pretty good. Lovely huge well maintained property.
Room
Booked a junior suite in the Royal Beach Club (RBC) and was upgraded to a larger suite with 2 full bathrooms, a sitting room and a large bedroom with a kingsized bed. We also had an uncomfortable looking blocky jacuzzi on the patio that we never quite got to. The room was beautiful, spacious and luxurious. The bed was indeed heavenly as advertized. RBC pool area was nice, as was the private lounge and check in check out desks. In am they have continental breakfast with fancy coffee drinks available and evenings they put out premium liquors and snacks. We were there in June, which is off season so both pools were relatively empty.

The food:
Overall pretty good. Think Princess Cruise Line crossed with Bonefish Grill with tico paced service.
Cauri, the French place had a spectacular view overlooking the resort to the ocean during a beautiful sunst view with unremarkable food- rolls were stale, French onion soup was mediocre (how does THAT happen? bad French onion soup was a first for me...
Mediterranean place had better food
Italian place had the BEST food
Pizza place best for lunch
Food at beach cafe was terrible; had an indelible burger with stale bun
Breakfast buffet was good though service was a mixed bag. Of note RBC guests have access to an air conditioned room to eat breakfast which was my most treasured benefit of staying in the RBC

Activities
Erik Garcia is just outside the beach exit. His tours are significantly less expensive and more private than the hotel sponsored company. We booked a river safari in a nearby national park to see the migratory birds, howler and white faced capuchin monkeys and crocodiles and were literally on a private trip with our own excellent guide for significantly less money than the people on theloaded bus that went to multiple pickup sights crowded on an inferior boat. We also booked a private afternoon 42 foot sailboat with crew with captain Brad through Erik... Wonderful. His wife, Gigi has a beachside massage business that is both inexpensive and high quality. Erik can direct you there since her area is more secluded than some of the other massage vendors.
The spa at the hotel was much much more expensive but also had good quality treatments we did the shell massage, body wrap and facial combinations and enjoyed them immensely.

In summary, beautiful property with very luxurious and spacious rooms, good food but cheap house wine and liquor. It is located AT the beach but not ON the beach so therefore most rooms do not have any beach views and we did not hear the waves breaking on the beach from our room. The beach outside the hotel (as is the case throughout Costa Rica) is public so is not as posh and sanitized as other beach resorts in countries that allow the resorts to own their own private beaches. We enjoyed it but probably won't be back.. Too many other great beaches to explore...

Room Tip: I don't think they have any bad rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarkOrmondBeach

Dear MarkOrmondBeach,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.
We're glad that you enjoyed your Up Grade to our Royal Beach Suite and the facilities of the Royal Beach section.
We appreciate your comments about the food, but is important to clarify that we have strict standard of food handling and control to ensure that our foods are fresh and good condition, and our management is very committed with this.
We're happy to know that you enjoyed our spa treatments and explore a little bit of Costa Rica.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a one-week stay at the Westin Playa Conchal, and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute there! Our check-in went very smoothly. We were actually offered a room in the Royal Beach Club, but we preferred the bungalows, as we wanted more room. They did not have any king-size bungalows available, so they gave us one with two double beds, which they pushed together to create the largest bed I have ever slept in! The room was very clean and comfortable. I was happy to see a "real" hairdryer in the bathroom, and not one of those weak ones attached to the wall! The grounds of the Westin were very clean and beautiful. We kept commenting how nice Costa Rica smelled...all of the flowers and plants created such a nice smell throughout the resort! I constantly saw employees cleaning and maintaining the resort, and everyone greeted you with "hola"!
While we were in Costa Rica during rainy season, we did not experience any rain that impacted our days. The only time we noticed it was raining was when we were in bed. The weather was hot and humid, but that's expected! The pool was so nice and refreshing. It was not crowded at all, and we never had trouble finding chairs. We frequented the pool bar and enjoyed the different mojitos and the Dirty Monkey.
We found the food at Westin to be delicious! We actually ordered room service every morning for breakfast. My favorite breakfast was the blueberry orange granola pancakes with a fruit plate. So good! And Costa Rican coffee is fabulous! We enjoyed eating at Spirulo's pizza, getting pizza to go, for lunch and ate poolside. The pizza is made on a woodfire grill, and it is awesome. We tried just about every pizza on the menu. We were able to eat at each restaurant at Westin, with the exception of the buffet. (I am not a buffet person) My husband and I are both vegetarian, but we found plenty of different choices at each restaurant. The servers were also accommodating when it came to leaving meat off of certain items. Every item we had was delicious!
Since we wanted a relaxing vacation, we pretty much spent the majority of our days poolside or walking along the beach. However, we did book a zip lining trip through Erik, which was wonderful! Erik and his crew are very nice and helpful. They are not pushy at all, and they provided excellent service. Erik always greeted us by name when we walked on the beach. We booked the Congo Canopy Tour with Erik for $45 a piece. This was my first time zip lining, and I have major fear of heights! Erik assured me that I would be able to zip line with a guide, if needed, and I did just that on the first two lines. After that, I loved it and went by myself. If you are in Costa Rica, you have to zip line! It was amazing to zip right past monkeys high up in the trees.
I would also recommend getting a massage by Gigi, who is Erik's wife. My husband and I went twice and had fabulous massages right on the beach. We paid $20 (plus a tip) each for a 45 minute massage while listening to the waves crash. It was perfect!
Our week in Costa Rica was absolutely perfect. We loved the Westin and working with Erik....and we definitely hope to return. Costa Rica is a beautiful country!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JulieSTL1978
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear JulieSTL1978,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities, green areas and food, our commitment is to make our guests happy and bring them a wonderful vacations.
We're glad that you explore a little bit of our beautiful country, hope you can explore more in your next trip. We're looking forward your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Conchal
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Address: Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica
Location: Costa Rica > Province of Guanacaste > Playa Conchal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
Price Range: $379 - $1,212 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4.5 star — The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort 4.5*
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort is an eco-friendly resort in Playa Conchal, Cabo Velas, Costa Rica located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. An All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. Our retreat also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with West Indies, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotwire, Travelocity, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal