“great spring break destination”

The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
Montreal, Canada
“great spring break destination”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

we stayed for 9 nights with our 3 kids during their spring break. Our rooms were very nice, the pool exceeded expectations and the staff and locals we met were warm and welcoming. Eric and his team on the beach were a pleasure to deal with and organized two enjoyable excursions.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank William B
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear William B,
Thank you so much for share your comments with us, we're very happy to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our resort.
Hope to see you soon again.

Best regards,

PR Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,420)
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had a great week in Costa Rica at another site but we needed one more night at another place so we unforntunately chose this Westin based on reviews here Zagat and my experience with Starwood hotels (I am Gold status).

First problem was when I checked in that I was told I would have $180 extra charge because of the size of my party. (5 adults and 1 child) for two rooms. I decided to buy a third room to avoid the charges.

Next problem started when my rooms weren't ready when promised. I arrived at 11am and was told latest 3pm (contratual check in time) but room wasn't ready until 4 pm despite being told they would do everything they could to get us in before 3.

Upon riding to our rooms we met a nice couple from NY that were unhappy with their stay (bad food, poor quality rooms, etc). Our experience confirms the experience they described. Run down rooms, bad quality food and poor service.

The icing on the bad cake was served at checkout when I was told I would have extra charges for the number of people in the rooms. They tried to charge me for a party of eight when I only had 6 plus a higher rate for the extra room I purchased to avoid the extra person charges. After thirty minutes of explainations and almost missing my transportation I got it all resolved.

Now I spend my time upset writing this review as I head to the airport when I could be reflecting on my other wonderful experience earlier in the week.

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank Carl H
WestinConchal, Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Carl H,

We appreciate the time you took to share this review of your recent visit to our property.

We sincerely apologize for the confusion upon registration related to the extra charges; as you experienced and unlike most all other Starwood hotels & resorts, being an All-Inclusive property means that children incur a rate too, which considers the food & beverage portion of the stay. For seasoned Starwood travelers, this uniqueness might indeed become a disturbance.

Mr. Carl H, due to the vastness of our resort, the wide offering of gastronomic options and the array of available activities, one day might not be enough to fully enjoy the hotel. I hope that all other aspects of the stay were to your liking and that our staff proved to be helpful and courteous.

Victor Gomez
Hotel Manager
Ormond Beach
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Our first all-inclusive experiment turned out pretty good. Lovely huge well maintained property.
Room
Booked a junior suite in the Royal Beach Club (RBC) and was upgraded to a larger suite with 2 full bathrooms, a sitting room and a large bedroom with a kingsized bed. We also had an uncomfortable looking blocky jacuzzi on the patio that we never quite got to. The room was beautiful, spacious and luxurious. The bed was indeed heavenly as advertized. RBC pool area was nice, as was the private lounge and check in check out desks. In am they have continental breakfast with fancy coffee drinks available and evenings they put out premium liquors and snacks. We were there in June, which is off season so both pools were relatively empty.

The food:
Overall pretty good. Think Princess Cruise Line crossed with Bonefish Grill with tico paced service.
Cauri, the French place had a spectacular view overlooking the resort to the ocean during a beautiful sunst view with unremarkable food- rolls were stale, French onion soup was mediocre (how does THAT happen? bad French onion soup was a first for me...
Mediterranean place had better food
Italian place had the BEST food
Pizza place best for lunch
Food at beach cafe was terrible; had an indelible burger with stale bun
Breakfast buffet was good though service was a mixed bag. Of note RBC guests have access to an air conditioned room to eat breakfast which was my most treasured benefit of staying in the RBC

Activities
Erik Garcia is just outside the beach exit. His tours are significantly less expensive and more private than the hotel sponsored company. We booked a river safari in a nearby national park to see the migratory birds, howler and white faced capuchin monkeys and crocodiles and were literally on a private trip with our own excellent guide for significantly less money than the people on theloaded bus that went to multiple pickup sights crowded on an inferior boat. We also booked a private afternoon 42 foot sailboat with crew with captain Brad through Erik... Wonderful. His wife, Gigi has a beachside massage business that is both inexpensive and high quality. Erik can direct you there since her area is more secluded than some of the other massage vendors.
The spa at the hotel was much much more expensive but also had good quality treatments we did the shell massage, body wrap and facial combinations and enjoyed them immensely.

In summary, beautiful property with very luxurious and spacious rooms, good food but cheap house wine and liquor. It is located AT the beach but not ON the beach so therefore most rooms do not have any beach views and we did not hear the waves breaking on the beach from our room. The beach outside the hotel (as is the case throughout Costa Rica) is public so is not as posh and sanitized as other beach resorts in countries that allow the resorts to own their own private beaches. We enjoyed it but probably won't be back.. Too many other great beaches to explore...

Room Tip: I don't think they have any bad rooms!
2 Thank MarkOrmondBeach
Dear MarkOrmondBeach,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.
We're glad that you enjoyed your Up Grade to our Royal Beach Suite and the facilities of the Royal Beach section.
We appreciate your comments about the food, but is important to clarify that we have strict standard of food handling and control to ensure that our foods are fresh and good condition, and our management is very committed with this.
We're happy to know that you enjoyed our spa treatments and explore a little bit of Costa Rica.

St Louis, MO
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a one-week stay at the Westin Playa Conchal, and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute there! Our check-in went very smoothly. We were actually offered a room in the Royal Beach Club, but we preferred the bungalows, as we wanted more room. They did not have any king-size bungalows available, so they gave us one with two double beds, which they pushed together to create the largest bed I have ever slept in! The room was very clean and comfortable. I was happy to see a "real" hairdryer in the bathroom, and not one of those weak ones attached to the wall! The grounds of the Westin were very clean and beautiful. We kept commenting how nice Costa Rica smelled...all of the flowers and plants created such a nice smell throughout the resort! I constantly saw employees cleaning and maintaining the resort, and everyone greeted you with "hola"!
While we were in Costa Rica during rainy season, we did not experience any rain that impacted our days. The only time we noticed it was raining was when we were in bed. The weather was hot and humid, but that's expected! The pool was so nice and refreshing. It was not crowded at all, and we never had trouble finding chairs. We frequented the pool bar and enjoyed the different mojitos and the Dirty Monkey.
We found the food at Westin to be delicious! We actually ordered room service every morning for breakfast. My favorite breakfast was the blueberry orange granola pancakes with a fruit plate. So good! And Costa Rican coffee is fabulous! We enjoyed eating at Spirulo's pizza, getting pizza to go, for lunch and ate poolside. The pizza is made on a woodfire grill, and it is awesome. We tried just about every pizza on the menu. We were able to eat at each restaurant at Westin, with the exception of the buffet. (I am not a buffet person) My husband and I are both vegetarian, but we found plenty of different choices at each restaurant. The servers were also accommodating when it came to leaving meat off of certain items. Every item we had was delicious!
Since we wanted a relaxing vacation, we pretty much spent the majority of our days poolside or walking along the beach. However, we did book a zip lining trip through Erik, which was wonderful! Erik and his crew are very nice and helpful. They are not pushy at all, and they provided excellent service. Erik always greeted us by name when we walked on the beach. We booked the Congo Canopy Tour with Erik for $45 a piece. This was my first time zip lining, and I have major fear of heights! Erik assured me that I would be able to zip line with a guide, if needed, and I did just that on the first two lines. After that, I loved it and went by myself. If you are in Costa Rica, you have to zip line! It was amazing to zip right past monkeys high up in the trees.
I would also recommend getting a massage by Gigi, who is Erik's wife. My husband and I went twice and had fabulous massages right on the beach. We paid $20 (plus a tip) each for a 45 minute massage while listening to the waves crash. It was perfect!
Our week in Costa Rica was absolutely perfect. We loved the Westin and working with Erik....and we definitely hope to return. Costa Rica is a beautiful country!

8 Thank JulieSTL1978
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear JulieSTL1978,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
We are glad that you enjoyed our facilities, green areas and food, our commitment is to make our guests happy and bring them a wonderful vacations.
We're glad that you explore a little bit of our beautiful country, hope you can explore more in your next trip. We're looking forward your next visit!

Detroit
Reviewed June 14, 2013

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ALL this beautiful resort has to offer and more!! Book an excursion, with Erik Garcia, right on the beach outside of the pool area. Everyone here was super friendly and more than accommodating. Would recommend it to anyone! I WILL be returning! Thank you Scentsy for making it all possible!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank drestyl
Dear drestyl,
Thank you so much for let us your review.
We loved to have all our Scentsy friends in our resort!
Hope you all come back soon to visit us.
Pura vida!

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Playa Conchal during the first week in June. This is our 3rd all-inclusive resort; we’ve previously stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean and Secrets Maroma, however this our first Tripadvisor review. We had an amazing time!! The resort is much bigger than I expected, and there are shuttles that will take you wherever you need to go. The rooms are set-up as bungalow style, with 8 rooms in each bungalow. Before we arrived we had requested a room close to the pool and restaurants (which are all centrally located, except for Faisenella which is located in the RBC section). However, they didn’t have record of our room request and we ended up in Bungalow 16, which is pretty much as far away from the pool and restaurants that you could get! When we checked-in we were upset about this, but the concierge said that it would be no problem to change our room the next day if we wanted to. After the first night, we actually realized that our bungalow location was perfect for us because we were one of the closest bungalows to the lobby, so we would walk up to the lobby bar every night before going to dinner and have a drink while also using the free wi-fi. The wi-fi is free in the lobby area or if you are in a RBC room, otherwise it is $15 day. So even though we were originally upset about our room request not being on file, it ended up working out perfectly anyway!

We enjoy walking and only took the shuttle when we had our luggage and or if it was heavily raining, however the shuttles going by never bothered us and went an appropriate speed. If you need a shuttle, just wait at the end of your bungalow and a shuttle will be by shortly. We visited during low season, which is their winter/rainy season, and starts around mid-April and lasts until November. We heard that if you visit during high season everything is brown. We could definitely tell it was low season because the resort was at least half empty and we noticed at least 6 bungalows that were closed! This actually ended up being really nice because it made finding pool chairs and getting dinner reservations easy! The weather was perfect, about 85 degrees F every day and even though some days were pretty cloudy, it gave some much needed relief from the intense heat. The mornings were perfectly sunny and there were 1-2 light rain showers every day that only lasted ~30 minutes and you could just hop in the pool or put up your umbrella! The only thunderstorms while we were there happened in the evenings.

As other reviews have said, this resort is not beachfront and does not have ocean views, and the website does not say that it does, so people should not expect this. The beach is public, but there are lounge chairs that one of the Westin staff members will drag out for you if you want to sit on the beach. My husband and I like to spend our time at the pool (with the pool bar!!) rather than the beach, but we did take a walk on the beach every day and once you get about 100 feet away from the resort, it is very private and we probably only passed 5 people on our walk each day. All of the drinks at the pool bar are delicious, we tried most of them! – my favorite was the Passion Mojito and my husband’s was the Hurricane.

As soon as you walk off the resort thru the beach access, you will see local vendors. If you are not interested, just say “no thank you” and they will leave you alone. I really wanted to see a sunset while we were there, and although you can’t see the sunset from the beach at the Westin, you can walk 10 minutes down the beach road to Brasilito and see it there, or from Tamarindo. Brasilito is safe to walk to on the beach, and the night we walked to Brasilito it was very cloudy so we couldn’t see the sunset, but we did visit some of the souvenir shops. We also had dinner at Golden Shrimp in Brasilito one night, and the restaurant offers a free round-trip shuttle service to the Westin. Just make a reservation at the car rental desk below the lobby for the day and time you want to go. The food was good at Golden Shrimp, not excellent, and it was overpriced, mainly because it has now become a touristy spot, but it was nice to enjoy dinner off the resort one night.

Tamarindo is a surfing town with lots of souvenir shops, ~15 minute drive from the Westin. We actually only stopped in Tamarindo for 10 minutes when we were picking someone up for an excursion we were on, but the Westin has 2 daily shuttles for $10 pp to Tamarindo, or you can book a taxi which is $25 each way.

Our last day at the Westin seemed to be the least cloudy day so far, so we decided to book the Lazy Lizard Catamaran thru Eric Garcia right outside the Westin on the beach, and it was $15 cheaper per person than if you book thru Swiss Travel. The catamaran excursion started at 1:30 where a driver picked up at least 10 people from our resort (we booked with another couple and we were the only 4 that booked thru Eric while everyone else had booked thru Swiss Travel but we were all on the same boat). They drop you off just a short ride away at Playa Flamingo where you get on the catamaran. We had a blast from the moment we stepped aboard! We went sailing, snorkeling and got to see a beautiful sunset on the way back in at the end of the day!! Snorkeling was not the best as the water was murky, but it was still fun and one of the guides held a puffer-fish for us to see! We snorkeled for ~30 minutes then just floated in the water with some drinks near the boat. When we got back on the catamaran they had sandwiches and snacks ready for us to eat! Great people and service on the boat, constantly offering to refill our drinks!

The Lazy Lizard Catamaran was the only tour we booked thru Eric; the other excursions we planned and booked before our trip. Before we arrived at the Westin we visited Doka Estates and did the coffee tour (this is close to San Jose where we flew in to), an all day private excursion thru Go Tours to La Fortuna Waterfall, hanging bridges tour of Arenal Volcano and Tabacon Hot Springs – which is all a must-do (see my review for Go Tours) and while we were at the Westin (but also booked prior to our trip) we took an excursion to Ostional to see the Olive Ridley Sea Turtle arrival and did an ATV tour through Vargas Tours. I did a lot of research about what we wanted to see before going to Costa Rica and contacted multiple tour companies, and even though I booked most of our excursions prior to our trip, both Eric and Swiss Travel had a lot to offer. Keep in mind that most of the adventurous activities such as horseback riding, mud-baths, hot springs, ziplining, white water rafting, Monteverde, Arenal Volcano, etc. are anywhere from 2-4 hours from the Westin. So although it is very worth it to get out of the resort and see the ecologically diverse country of Costa Rica, it makes for a very long day! You should absolutely do some excursions to experience what Costa Rica has to offer because if you are just going to Costa Rica to stay at your resort on the beach the entire time, you mind as well be visiting any beach.

We were able to book dinner reservations for our first few days through email the week prior to arriving, and were able to make the rest of our dinner reservations the morning after we arrived with no problems. We were even able to call the morning of two of our reservations and change the times for the same day.

Overall the food was pretty good. Both Caracola and Spirula are open for lunch, and Spirula was our absolute favorite spot!! I think we tried almost every pizza at Spirula, and they were all delicious!! The pastas offered here were also really good, as well as the Nutella dessert and the hazelnut ice cream. Caracola has salads, ceviche, sandwiches and desserts, for lunch. We tried each of the restaurants open for dinner except for Las Candelas (Latin), as we were told it didn’t match up to the others. We looked at the menu one night and it didn’t appeal to us, as we had already had typical Costa Rican cuisine before we arrived at the Westin (see my review for Soda Viquez in La Fortuna). Our favorite restaurants were Faisanella (Italian) and Mediterra (Mediterranean), although at Mediterra one of the appetizers was forgotten and had to be brought with our dinner. Cauri (French) and Bamboo (Asian) were also very good and worth a visit, although the service was pretty slow the night we dined at Cauri. Feel free to ask for additional appetizers or dishes you wish to try and the staff will gladly bring you whatever you want.

We also had room service a couple times for breakfast and once for dinner, and everything was delicious. Call about an hour before you want your food; since it was low season while we were visiting they typically told us our wait would be ~45 minutes, but it was always delivered within ~30 minutes.

Another thing to keep in mind that some reviews have mentioned is the construction on the Westin property. We didn’t mind the construction at all, and it was actually nice to see that the Westin is continuously updating their property. I don’t know why people don’t understand that; it is their low season, when they have the ability to close those bungalows that are under construction. They certainly can’t do it during high season when they need every one of their bungalows open. And it certainly wouldn’t be affordable to shut-down the entire resort for a week because there wouldn’t even be enough constructions workers to complete the work in a week’s time.

All of the staff is extremely friendly and will gladly do anything you ask and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip!! Pura Vida!!!

9 Thank psustarrie83
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear psustarrie83,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, we really appreciate all your kind comments and we're very happy that you had a great time with us.
We're glad that you enjoyed our food and facilities, and also explore a little more of Costa Rica, we're totally agree with you, you have to live some tour experience for really live the country's spirit.
Thanks for your comments about our service, for us, our guests are our passion.
Hope to see you again when you come back to Costa Rica!
Pura Vida!

Zasha Pérez Gallardo
PR Manager.
Stockton, California, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We just returned from Costa Rica two days ago after spending 10 days at the Westin. This property was absolutely amazing and perfect in every regard for a couple on our honeymoon. From the arrival to the beautiful outdoor lobby setting down to the hotel shuttles, the room, the service, the setting, the food, the grounds, everything - absolutely WONDERFUL. We were a bit wary, after getting what we thought was such a cheap deal on the trip, we didn't know if we would be showing up to some place that posted all their best pics online, but we were so overcome with pleasant surprises at every turn - it was a total A+++ as far as quality vs. cost.

Also, we used Erik (on the beach - outside the resort) to schedule several excursions and were SO happy with the quality of the trips and the lower cost associated with them. When we arrived, we were planning to book all of our excursions through the hotel, but we were told by several other couples to talk to Erik and we are very happy we did. We did the combo tour - which was zip lining, horseback riding, a water slide, lava scrub and hot springs for an all day tour (including transportation) for $100 each - awesome! Also, we were able to ask Erik about other excursions or activities we were thinking about and his recommendations were spot on every time. I would recommend for anyone traveling there to see Erik for sure. Plus, his wife gives massages right there on the beach, which we did every other day the whole time we were there... can't beat the sound of surf while getting a massage :)

Also, I would definitely recommend taking advantage of the hotel shuttle in to Tamarindo - very cute town, lots of fun shops, cute beachfront restaurants and bars and fun places to party that are safe - lots of surfers and tourists all over and locals are very polite and pleasant to deal with - everyone I talked to spoke English well.

Near the end of our trip, which I think was when school was getting out, more families started showing up too and they all seemed to be having fun. I would recommend this property to anyone going on a honeymoon or romantic vacation, but we are planning to return with our families in the near future. It was a BLAST!

As a note - we were told there was some sort of stomach flu going around the entire surrounding area and apparently several nearby resorts had been hit with it so the hotel was taking extra precautions to prevent it, but I did hear of some people getting it, but I did not think it was related to the food or anything our hotel was doing... we didn't get ill the whole time.

Room Tip: We got the "normal" room - nothing fancy and it was perfect - VERY quiet, SUPER dark (so g...
1 Thank MonetJF
WestinConchal, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear MonetJF,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share you experience with us.
We're happy to know that you had a great honeymoon, thanks for choosing us to celebrate this special days. We're glad to know that you enjoyed the facilities and food, and also explored a little bit more of Costa Rica. About the flu, this situation has been controlled successfully in the region, but we must be cautious for your safety.
We hope you can visit us again to celebrate together your anniversary!

Zasha Pérez Gallardo
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,999 reviews

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!