“Think before you go to this hotel.”

The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
“Think before you go to this hotel.”
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I was very excited to visit Costa Rica and stayed at this hotel. Honestly this will be my first and last visit to Costa Rica. The hotel is very beautiful spread out resort , restaurants etc are good , rooms are average nothing great.
Staff is not friendly at the front desk or service express line. Only staff working like servers , shuttle drivers are good are friendly.
It seems the front desk, room service helpline staff has a attitude problem (I wonder why)
Now listen to me. I got hurt at the hotel swimming pool no one came to my help, There are no signs about any warning at the pool side area about (caution stairs etc). I found my self dr on site who told me there will be a $85 fee to see me. I found it not humane as I am hurt and first thing doctor ask me is dollars.
Secondly I was recommended to use ice to reduce pain and swelling it took two hours for someone from the room service to bring me ice till then I was suffering. The excuse room service guys made was (we are busy delivering food to other guest )I asked the person what is more important medical attention or delivery to other guests.
Finally I got some Ice but it was too late..
I won't come back to this place , they have no security on site to help guest if they want medical attention which can happen any time..
I had to pay $200 taxi fare to travel one hour to the nearest hospital for check up and x rays.
Think again coming here.

Stayed March 2013
10 Thank Vick M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,420)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Fell victim to a chic, eco touristy hotel in the heart of Tamarindo. Big disappointment.

While on a Tamarindo Dreamers Adventure horseback ride, I fell in love with the Westin Playa Conchal. I can only say this as a passer-byer but if you want a true rainforesty/secluded beach/small town village experience stay at this hotel and don't even think about staying in Tamarindo.

Next time I'm in Costa Rica I will def stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MizWanderlust88
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary. We booked and stayed in the "club" area, which was nice with the private pool. Was it worth it? I am not sure... When we got there, it appeared that they overbooked the club towers and put us in one of the villas next to the ocean. I was happy that we were next to the ocean, but the first room that they put us in did not have a view at all. The room had rose petals all over the bed and the towels were made up to look like kissing swans. Very cool since they knew that we were there on our anniversary. When they moved us to the ocean view room, no rose petals, no fancy folded towels, just a room with a view. The room was very nice, so I cannot complain about that at all. The bad part was that it was a little bit of a walk to the club area. The main pool was right outside our room, but we did opt to go to the private club pool, since that is what we paid for. The food in the different restaurants was pretty good for an all inclusive resort. The club breakfast was very good. There were all of the typical themed places to eat. Of the four nights that we were there, we ate dinner off resort two nights. The local "typical" food in Costa Rica is so good, that we could not get enough of it. We ate at the Golden Shrimp, which has a shuttle from the resort, and La Palapa in Tamarindo. Both places had excellent food. My wife went to the spa, and she said that it was very nice. Overall, we had a very good experience at the resort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Greg D
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Westin has done a great job with their first venture into the all-inclusive market. The staff and service is great, the choice of restaurants and quality is very good and the rooms are very spacious. You are not ocean view but the set-up of the resort is very welcoming and relaxing! There is also so much to do in Costa Rica from beach to adventure. I would recommend this resort for anyone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rhonda B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

At a five star hotel there are various things you expect- a room big enough to enable you to get out of bed on both sides, a bedside table for each room occupant, enough space to store clothes for one week, use of a clean private beach, a bath, air conditioning that takes the temperature below 70 degrees, balcony chairs equivalent in number to guests in the room (3), a kids club staffed by more than one non-English speaker, and with a full programme to appeal to all ages, and the opportunity to dance in the evening at some point in a week long stay.
Although the staff are lovely, the resort well maintained and the restaurant meals of a high quality, there is too much missing. Particularly disappointed to find that the beach was more like a gipsy encampment, complete with horses, battered cars, stalls set up under trees shaded by scraps of cloth tethered to sticks, and litter. The beach is not maintained or cleaned by the Westin as they do not own it. The pool was huge and gorgeous, but spoiled by large numbers of guests standing in the middle of it all day holding a drink in each hand that they had collected from the all inclusive pool bar.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank aldonna
New Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Let me start by saying that we went during low season which may make a difference but I don't think it should. The grounds and facilites of this resort are absolutely beautiful. The rooms are great...very private without being private bungalows. They had a bottle of champagne and strawberries set up since it was our honeymoon.
The food was good but nothing increadible. You must make reservations or else you will not get seated for dinner...especially during low season not all restaurants are open on every night so they get kind of busy.
I wish someone had told us that the beaches are not private. It is very uncomfortable to go to the beach when not many people are around and be surrounded by people trying to sell you things or get you to go on their tours. It was unsettling. We did not spend much time at the beach....most likely better during high season when more crowded. This is not the resorts fault in any way. Just wish we knew earlier.
The most dissapointing part of this place was definitely the service. At the pool bar you were waiting for a while. The bartenders were all talking to one another and laughing. Not very friendly either. One would think that during low season there are less people, so service should be better, but it was absolutely the opposite. it was like the staff was able to slack off since not too many people were around.
I wish we had just stayed at the first hotel the entire time we were in Costa Rica. This place was beautiful but totally disappointing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stacey D
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 20, 2013

There were eight of us and we all enjoyed our trip. Having the four rooms together made it convenient for us. The choice of restaurants helps us to have a real variety in meals. The pool area is always clean and has enough seating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,999 reviews

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!