We just got back from a week at the Westin and it was definitely the place you want to go in Costa Rica. Let me say we've done All-Inclusives all over the South, so we have a pretty solid baseline. We would go back tomorrow, and frankly regretted not booking 2 weeks.
Service: Okay, this is the point that I want to make. I know I rated excellent overall, because really it is excellent overall, but the service was not great. Please read the full review though, because you will see why overall it is excellent. I think it is possible that there is a cultural thing here, because no one there seemed to be in a rush to serve us. Whether it was in the morning at breakfast waiting for water, coffee, juice, or getting the rooms cleaned, or getting drinks at the bar; it just seemed quick/efficient service was not their thing. Don't get me wrong everyone was helpful and super nice, it was just somewhat difficult to get them to pay attention to you. I even tried overt tipping, but that didn't seem to help either, which was odd. I actually started bringing water bottles from the room as well as other drinks so I wouldn't be half done my meal before I could get something to drink.
Food: By far the best Breakfast and Lunches of any place I've been to. Ever. Hands done. Amazing quality vegetables and fruit, might sound weird, but usually some fruit is ok and the vegetables at resorts (even 5-stars) leave lots to be desired, but with Westin it is great. Also, they have "Superfoods" dishes highlighted, so it makes it easy to eat yummy, but healthy food while away. Dinner was great at the Mediterrean and Italian restaurants. Dinner at buffet was so-so, as well as other restaurants, although I did have this absolutely amazing crepe at the French restaurant Cauri. Friends we were with got amazing pasta dishes at the buffet with the make your own pasta option, so maybe try that. It wasn't bad at all, it was just that we found Breakfast and Lunch so incredibly good. Turkey Burger and Market Salad on room service is great btw! Pizza by the pool for lunch is good.
Hotel and Rooms: Beautiful x 100. If you are adults only the Royal Beach Club is worth it. So worth it, both pools are gorgeous, but Royal Beach is just even more relaxing for adults only. We were in Royal Beach 2 and the concierge guys David and (maybe Jonathan or Nelson) were so helpful.
Excursions: Book through Erik Garcia and John on the Beach. Better deals, smaller groups, more flexibility. We did major research beforehand and these guys were awesome. Conchal Adventures, we did 2, they were great! If you are going to Costa Rica it is a huge waste to not do excursions, it is an absolutely beautiful country, and safe, safe, safe! We did a river boat tour and saw 2 different kinds of monkeys, macows, crocodiles, iguanas, lizards, geikos, so many birds, it was awesome. Then ATV-ing for Ziplining, which was great too.
Beach: Not the resorts fault, but the beach is public so it is not like other countries where the resort can own the beach. Plus there were a number of trees so it wasn't what I was expecting. Having said that the water was nice and if you walked north or right out of hotel on beach for 10-15 minutes there were even nicer beaches... Playa Flamingo literally took my breath away (I think that's what it was called, beware of the tides though).
Costa Rica: In the Guanaste province basically between December and March, it does not rain. At all. If you need the sun and you want a guarantee of good weather, then visit Costa Rica. Plus it is SO safe (a great place for kids) and you can drink the water, it is the first place I haven't gotten GI symptoms despite always staying at 5-stars and being careful. People are super nice too!
Gym (Westin Workout): By far, hands down, the best gym I've ever seen at a resort, and even most hotels (including 5 stars) in the US, Canada, and Europe. Plus the instructors/trainers (especially Kenny) were AMAZING! If you want to stay in shape while away, Westin Workout makes it easy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Playa Conchal is an All Inclusive eco-friendly retreat, located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera of Costa Rica. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. Our All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. The resort also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Media 8, Inc., Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal