“Lovely Resort, but be prepared for long excursions.”

The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
San Antonio, Texas
“Lovely Resort, but be prepared for long excursions.”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We just returned from six days at the Westin. I have no complaints about the facility. It is clean, rooms are spacious, and the food was very good. I echo other people's comments about noise from the rooms above when they are being cleaned - no afternoon naps for me! We ate at the main (buffet) restaurant only for breakfast, and made reservations for each of the specialty restaurants each night. I recommend that you do that ASAP, unless you want to eat at 9:00. The resort is quite spread out, but walkable, and the shuttles run constantly. Everyone (except the people taking restaurant reservations over the phone) was incredibly pleasant and accommodating. There are vendors on the beach but I did not find them to be overly aggressive.
My one caveat is this: The resort is on the Pacific side, in the "dry tropical forest". I was aware of this prior to booking. if you are looking for an authentic Costa Rican rain forest experience, you can have it, but be prepared for a very long excursion. We did book on excursion through Swiss Travel, a half-day tour to Palo Verde National Park. Our guide was excellent, went beyond the call of duty to make sure we didn't miss anything, but even the half-day tour involved at least three hours of driving and got us back to the resort about 2:30. To actually get to the rain forest is perhaps three to four hours in each direction. But if you don't do the excursions, I think you could get bored (as we did) and not really have any feeling of being in Costa Rica. If you are happy eating, drinking, and laying about the pool, you will be quite content.
On another note, if you are a tennis player: Yes, they have three courts. They are not in good shape, and there is no pro shop. You can get equipment at the activities desk (free) and use the courts during the day at no extra charge, but there was not much appeal. Would be great if they could offer a few clinics, even for a fee.

Room Tip: I would get a room (as we did) closer to the restaurants and pool rather than closer to the lobby...
2 Thank nysatx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,451)
Trois-Rivières, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I made a trip from 14 to January 21, 2013 at this hotel. It is very safe and we were 2 girls alone, it's my most beautiful trip, I loved the place, I even fell in love with the country, the decor, the staff and the people. The hotel is very nice and clean, quiet... I had seen on the garden near the beach and all services. The Westin staff is courteous, always smiling! If you want to do the activities, will see ERIC GARCIA and his team for a horse on the beach, the zipline ride, 4 wheels, etc... Eric is very nice and will make your stay very pleasant! There is also the DORADO WATER sports team, the team is super dynamic for rent is a seadoo, the bananaboat, see Walter and Rafael, the boys are very nice... It is a beautiful place and I go back but next time for longer! PURA VIDA!!

Chantal V

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chantal V
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a very nice and relaxing vacation in January at the Westin. The resort is fairly big so there were shuttles to transport you around. We walked most of the time because we enjoyed the atmosphere and huge iguanas walking around! We only took the shuttle to the lobby as it was a big hill to walk up. The rooms were nice, clean and spacious. My only small complaint is the furniture makes awfully loud noises when you move the chairs. If you are on the bottom floor you can hear the people above you or housekeeping moving the bed and chairs around. So I'd recommend staying on the top level. The pool was amazing, bartenders at the swim up bar were great! Good alcohol brands such as stoli, Bacardi, Smirnoff, sauza. Mojitos were fantastic!! All made with fresh fruit. The local rum is sweet so it may not taste like there is a lot of alcohol but they pour a decent amount. You can always ask for more! Not to many activities around the pool, but servers were very accommodating as far as offering drinks and pizza from the awesome brick oven!

Food was awesome, from buffets to lunches and restaurants. Recommend stopping in all of them if you can. We left tips at every meal,even though they are included, they work hard and they appreciate it very much :) I highly recommend ordering room service for breakfast a few times. It was delicious and they set up the meal in your room where ever you want it!

I read so many reviews on Erik Garcia I had to meet him. He was the first person to great us on the beach. Very polite and knowledgable about Costa Rica and what it has to offer. We booked zip lining through him and are so happy we did. Great experience and I would highly recommend booking through him, we felt very safe booking with him. He wants to make travelers happy so they give him good reviews and therefore he receives more business. His wife Gigi gives fantastic and cheap massages on the beach! Well worth it, you may hear people on the beach but for a great one hour massage for 30 dollars who cares! He also provided a driver for us one day when we went to Tamarindo for a good price. Thank you Erik for your hospitality!

If you like local food and seafood head to Tamarindo for a few hours. The hotel offers a shuttle but there must be at least 5 people signed up for the shuttle to go and it is at specific times. There are shops, restaurants, surfing and good people. We had a blast. Recommend Patagonia (I believe that is the name). It is an awesome beef and steak place of Argentina descent. Also there is a seafood place across the street from that restaurant called Nibbana with fantastic seafood and wonderful sangrias! Both of these restaurants were recommended by a Canadian women that lived there. El coconut was great too!

This is not a "party" resort, it is very relaxing. If you want a night out head to a local town. The sports bar only has one tv and a projector but has a dj, pool table. It's the only bar open at night so your bound to talk to others staying at the resort which we enjoyed.

Overall good experience. If we go back we would probably stay in the rainforest for 2 days (which is a few hours away) and then head to the resorts for the rest of the trip. Pura vida!!!

Room Tip: Select a room on the second level as to not hear the furniture moving around above you.
4 Thank Tammy B
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed at the Westin this past week (Jan 21-28, 2013). Great service, Great food, everyone was really nice and never lost their smile. The only downside was that the hotel has setup a service for excursions which are overpriced and don't really offer what the real costa rica is all about. We read reviews of how people were impressed by the service offered by ERIK GARCIA and JOHN RODRIGUEZ (these are the guys that are outside the hotel at the beach) The hotel warned us about taking a trip with these guys and said our safety was not guaranteed. Well since there were so many reviews that were good, we decided to take a chance and see what they had to offer, and let me tell you all who are reading this. This is what made our Costa Rica trip worth while, CARLOS & CARLOS were our tour guides and they were just AWESOME !!!! we would have never gotten a personalized service like that with the hotel. These guys were funny, patient, took the time to stop the car on multiple occasions to let us take pictures and show us animals that were around. I can never thank them enough for their professionalism and kindness. Safety was actually their number 1 priority. I just find it shameful on Westin's part to invent lies to steer people away from the hard working people that are ready to do everything to please their clients.

Thank you once again Erik, John, Carlos, and Carlos.
Pura Vida,
Sarkis.

4 Thank Sarkis S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Well....learn't a lot here. Don't buy beer and leave it out in the room, cause if you have more than what they stock your fridge, they take.!
If you want more then they bring each day, you have to buy.
The beer at the bar's , not very cold. They do have ice you can get, just outside near the villa to place what ever you want cold, if a large group of 300 don't show up all in one day and drain it.
Don't want to sound negative, but this is the first time I have complained on Tripadvisor..
No shade on beach for people who need it, didn't bother me. We walked down the beach to better sand, and took our beer on ice from the room cause, they don't come out off the resort to offer any.
Walk down to the right to the local bar, and stores before 6pm if you want to buy things, so much cheaper than the resort or even Tamarindo beach 30 min away. Surfing is good at that beach.
Totally trust Erik Garcia Alvarado for a great excursion. Cheaper and more private four our group..
We did 5 things in one excursion about an hour and 15 min from resort, and so happy with all of it.
When you get there off the bus....get the right line to check in. 3 lines first one is money exchange and you can only get their money there, but there is a ATM machine that you can get US money.
Second line for Royal club members only
Third is the check in
If their signs were up higher people in line wouldn't block them.
Order food to your room is a very big plus. My kids in their villas loved it, a little too much.
Book your dinners from your room RESERVATIONS early and enjoy the best food!!
Breakfast opened at 6:30, just in time for us to catch our excursion,others not so lucky.
Love the coffee!!
Love the weather, hot, hot, hot.
I took a float to relax in the pool, great plus.
Tip bring a little cooler to keep drinks cold when you go to the beach or to town.
Airport going home $ 8.00 a beer $ 5.00 water, pizza $ 14.00 a slice. Not many shops and way over priced. Duty free at the end had water for $2.00 and booze not so bad..Must drink liquids before getting on plane.
Have any question just email me.
I will not return at that price for what they offered. I never wanted to leave either...
Hope I was helpful
There is a shuttle to Tamarindo beach both ways at 10:30 and returned at 3:00 and 4:15 and return 9:pm best way for your buck...Pre book it a day a head.

Wished I new what I know now at the start it would have been so much better.
Bugs come out on the beach at dark too.

Room Tip: Well it all depends on what you want. pool is close to the beach. Lobby is way out of the way but sh...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York

Things to note:
the bathrooms don't have doors and the room doesn't offer a chest of drawers for folding clothes. We used the desk instead but the closet space wasn't great.
Food was decent, loved the idea of having a bunch of restaurants to choose from.
Book all activities on the beach with Eric. He's well-priced, efficient, and can do anything from surfing to finding someone to take you to the airport. He stands right outside the hotel on the beach so you literally can not miss him.
Not a luxurious place, but the best of it's kind of the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank millie023
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I (early 20's/late 30's) stayed at the Westin Playa Conchal in June of 2012. Overall we were pleased with the resort. However, the service we received was top shelf. Our personal concierge was knowledgeable, attentive, and most of all, went beyond the call of duty. He made this stay top shelf. The resort is not without its faults but its a solid option.

Pros
-Superb personal concierge service
-Quality room decor
-Westin quality beds
-Overall good food for an all-inclusive
-Shuttle around the property ran very regularly (never a long wait)
-24-hour room service was timely and pretty good

Cons
-Dinner reservations at the "nice" restaurants creates a rat race to secure and fills up quickly
-Small dinner portions at said restaurants
-Restaurants often remix lunch/dinner from other parts
-Masseuses need a bit more training.

We split our stay between Playa Conchal and a hotel actually in Tamarindo. Because we are DINKs, we really enjoyed staying in town. However, the Westin did exactly what it was supposed to do: provide a hassle free, restful get away. The service overall was great and I would go back to the Westin at Playa Conchal!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raven D
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!