This was a company trip my boyfriend took me on back in November. Since it was off season the resort was fairly slow except for the 200 or so people that were with this company from all over Canada. Its a smaller scale resort so you didn't have to take the shuttle every time you wanted to go some where depending where your room was located. We where in building 29 which was located fairly close to the pool, beach, restaurants and mini disco. Less then 3 minute walk to all these amenities, however a little hike to lobby where the free WiFi was located (10 min). The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The staff is very courteous but a little more reserved with their guests compared to other resorts i have stayed. There was no animation staff during the day to get the guests going which can be a hit or a miss. Daily activities at the pool during the day was to a minimum. However there is all kinds of basketballs and such available for guests to use. The staff however is definitely on "island time" expect to wait for some services or if your table needs salt pepper. Ask for anything you need right away.The food was typical resort food. The mirtra is the buffet, went there every morning for breakfast, served the exact same thing each day minus 2-3 dishes that they switched out daily. Awesome omelet station though. Went there for lunch once and it was fairly typical. Spent everyday eating lunch at the Caracola restaurant. Its located right next to the pool and you order off a menu they bring around on an isle - but its good. My favorite thing was probably the chicken wraps and they had this chicken breast dish with rice and black beans - also very good. The food at this restaurant is actually really good and its made to order. Im not a fish person but everyone was ranting about the sea bass. I would have loved to try the spirula restaurant (wood oven pizza) but it was under construction. Based on reviews I read before had it s amazing. We never did the dinner at the buffet, went to the restaurants every night. Mediterra was by far the best. Book this one in advance because it fills up fast! The veggie lazenga was amazing!!!!The Faisanela (Italian) was also very good as well as the Bamboo. Great pad thai and they are pretty accommodating to alter their dishes to meat your tastes. The Las Candelas (Latin) was our least favorite. Nothing on the menu really appealed to anyone. The room service is free and i am a little disappointed we didn't take advantage or this service until our last day. The breakfast that we order was great and within 30 minutes. There was much more variety for breakfast then the buffet. And we didn't have to stand there for 10 minutes for a table.
The beach was beautiful and i was a little hesitant about the local beach thing but no one bothers you. Some of the locals go up and down the beach offering foot massages and back massages for 20 dollars or less. If you are not interested they wont push which is great.
We did the catamaran snorkel tour which is pretty much a booze cruise. Unfortunately the ocean is far too murky with very little reefs around...not worth the tour. You are better off getting snorkel gear from the resort and using it on your own beach for free. I will have to warn you on one thing...sea lice. Its jelly fish larva and you cannot see it coming but it stings. I dont know if it was the time of year we went or what, but almost everyone on the catamaran got stung and they never warned us about it. As soon as we got back on the boat they had a bottle of vinegar ready for us and asked if we needed any, would have been nice to have known before hand. My boyfriend got stung while snorkeling on our beach, but someone brought a benadryl pen which took care of it instantly.
We did the horse back ridding tour with "eddie the cowboy" one of the guys on the beach. Just go directly to him and set it up. He was fantastic, he took our camera and took some of the most beautiful photos of myself and my boyfriend running on the beach with the horses. He must have taken over 100 photos. It was 50 dollars for the 2 of us for an hour and it was worth every penny and some.
As for night life there wasn't a lot. The abalone is a mini disco operating at night and is pretty much the only place to get a drink after 10pm. Music was pretty good and everyone tends to get a little dressed up. Girls with high heels beware! I destroyed a heel in the deck - I got stuck. Put a fair amount of bug spray on before as its by the water so there's lots of bugs.
Went into town for some shopping one day. Great place for surfing and there's places to rent some gear. The employees at the shop don't hassle you like other places i have been on vacation but you can barter with them a bit.
All in all it was a fantastic vacation, great place for some R&R. Great for couples and families. Would not recommend to go with a big group of friends if your wanting to party.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Playa Conchal is an All Inclusive eco-friendly retreat, located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera of Costa Rica. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. Our All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. The resort also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal