This Westin provides an excellent all-inclusive vacation. The people of Costa Rica "Ticos" are kind and caring and the staff at the Westin embodied this. The weather was perfect and we had not a drop of rain and blue skis everyday. The accomodations are nice. Ours were clean and the housekeeping staff always tied to oblige. Food was better than good but not excellent. Everyone found something enjoyable to their tastes. Portions were small-ish but you could order as much as you wanted. Tables were cleared a little too hasty and some of the wait staff had challenges with English. The breakfast and lunch buffets were great and the wood oven pizzas till 5 ish were delicious. The pizzas were a great late afternoon snack. Wine by the glass was included and the chardonnay was very good however wine by the bottle carried a reasonable but extra charge. My kids each had about 12 fruit smoothies a day. Pina Coladas with rum were usually a little weak but when prompted the bartenders would add a bit extra rum to the drink.
The dinner reservation system needs some serious improvement. You had to make your reservations upon arrival and even then, were left with little options. The hotel would do well with an outdoor BBQ from time to time for dinner as well as hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill for lunch given the many kids at the resort. Getting chairs poolside at high season also posed some challenges. The photography staff at the pool were great, in particular Valentina who took a number of photos of my kids which we bought. There should be better communication about things available at the hotel to guests eg. the option to pay departure taxes rather than line up at the airport for an hour. This was my first all-inclusive holiday and the perfect trip with kids. I would return and recommend it highly.
We went to Canopy Cartegena for ziplining and to Palo Verde National Park and loved those tours. We ordered room service which was great. Staff don't look for tips but really appreciate them. One area that needs improvement is the sad excuse for a business center - all I wanted to do is print my boarding passes and this was a challenge. Wi-Fi carries a charge but I managed to pick up a free signal most everywhere, especially poolside. Rooms could use a bit more lighting though Costa Rica goes miles to be environmentally conscious. I wish our bellman showed us how to use the ceiling fan though the maintenance man did (despite no English) and did so promptly. Service was always good.
One staff member who merits a mention is Stephanie Gutierez, the concierge. Stephanie is not only kind, friendly but so competant. She is full of helpful information, polite and does her utmost to help. She is never flustered, even when things are busy and does her best to make each guest feel special. I feel that she does not get enough recognition for the role she plays at the Westin - who ever heard of a concierge without a business card? Its about time that Westin recognized what an asset she is to their operations in Costa Rica. A little more training for someone so caring and competant would go a long way too. Hey Westin...TAKE NOTE!
The other team that merits a mention is the team at the poolside and Mitra (evening) bars - what a great group of bartenders. I can hardly imagine how many drinks they make a day and never without a smile or a pleasant word. After a day or two, they even asked if we wanted our usual drinks - how nice.
I'd return to the Westin and recommend it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Playa Conchal is an All Inclusive eco-friendly retreat, located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera of Costa Rica. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. Our All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. The resort also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal