“Perfect family destination - Great trip!” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto
“Perfect family destination - Great trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This Westin provides an excellent all-inclusive vacation. The people of Costa Rica "Ticos" are kind and caring and the staff at the Westin embodied this. The weather was perfect and we had not a drop of rain and blue skis everyday. The accomodations are nice. Ours were clean and the housekeeping staff always tied to oblige. Food was better than good but not excellent. Everyone found something enjoyable to their tastes. Portions were small-ish but you could order as much as you wanted. Tables were cleared a little too hasty and some of the wait staff had challenges with English. The breakfast and lunch buffets were great and the wood oven pizzas till 5 ish were delicious. The pizzas were a great late afternoon snack. Wine by the glass was included and the chardonnay was very good however wine by the bottle carried a reasonable but extra charge. My kids each had about 12 fruit smoothies a day. Pina Coladas with rum were usually a little weak but when prompted the bartenders would add a bit extra rum to the drink.

The dinner reservation system needs some serious improvement. You had to make your reservations upon arrival and even then, were left with little options. The hotel would do well with an outdoor BBQ from time to time for dinner as well as hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill for lunch given the many kids at the resort. Getting chairs poolside at high season also posed some challenges. The photography staff at the pool were great, in particular Valentina who took a number of photos of my kids which we bought. There should be better communication about things available at the hotel to guests eg. the option to pay departure taxes rather than line up at the airport for an hour. This was my first all-inclusive holiday and the perfect trip with kids. I would return and recommend it highly.

We went to Canopy Cartegena for ziplining and to Palo Verde National Park and loved those tours. We ordered room service which was great. Staff don't look for tips but really appreciate them. One area that needs improvement is the sad excuse for a business center - all I wanted to do is print my boarding passes and this was a challenge. Wi-Fi carries a charge but I managed to pick up a free signal most everywhere, especially poolside. Rooms could use a bit more lighting though Costa Rica goes miles to be environmentally conscious. I wish our bellman showed us how to use the ceiling fan though the maintenance man did (despite no English) and did so promptly. Service was always good.

One staff member who merits a mention is Stephanie Gutierez, the concierge. Stephanie is not only kind, friendly but so competant. She is full of helpful information, polite and does her utmost to help. She is never flustered, even when things are busy and does her best to make each guest feel special. I feel that she does not get enough recognition for the role she plays at the Westin - who ever heard of a concierge without a business card? Its about time that Westin recognized what an asset she is to their operations in Costa Rica. A little more training for someone so caring and competant would go a long way too. Hey Westin...TAKE NOTE!
The other team that merits a mention is the team at the poolside and Mitra (evening) bars - what a great group of bartenders. I can hardly imagine how many drinks they make a day and never without a smile or a pleasant word. After a day or two, they even asked if we wanted our usual drinks - how nice.

I'd return to the Westin and recommend it!

Room Tip: Rooms near the main pool and restaurants for those with a family are a good bet. Rooms along the be...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wendal18

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,386)
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from this resort and wanted to post our thoughts as we used tripadvisor to narrow down the desinations and wound up at this wonderful resort in Costa Rica. We were lucky to be upgraded to 'the bungalows' in the 'Royal' section and thus were impressed with the reception immediately and were excited by our luck. The room was bigger than my first apartment and the seperate seating/living area was a welcome respite when we were in the room preparing for our next dinner or adventure. There was a great variety of restaurant choices with excellent food at all of them. There is also an optional restaurant on site which charges about 40 dollars each which is not included in this all inclusive resort (wtf?), but from the reviews received from the guests that we spoke to who tried it out, save your money for the tours and avoid this option. The staff were extremely friendly and every one of them spoke perfect english, so communication in this Spanish speaking country was not an issue at all. My husband played a couple of rounds of golf, and found the course to be an excellent layout, but extremely pricy at $ 170 USD once the motor cart was factored in (cart is essential in the heat). This price for the golf also assumes that you brought your own equipment. If you have to rent clubs/shoes, buy balls and a glove, you better allow about another $ 100.00 USD +/- to cover your round. Still cheaper than Pebble Beach, but that is a lot of money for most of us. We 'trip advisor' folks found numerous references to "Erik on the beach" for booking your tours. The tour company at the hotel tries to use 'scare tactics' when reviewing the various tours available and the question of booking tours with Erik comes up, but Erik is indeed everything you have read about him in the other trip advisor reviews and more. His honesty ('don't bother with the River cruise as the alligators and monkeys are not out this time of year') was a first for this writer. I have never been on a holiday where the folks tell you to save your money if the deal will not be as advertised. For this reason alone I would go back to Costa Rica in a New York minute and deal with Erik exclusively for all my tours. His wife and step daughter provide a fantastic deep tissue massage worthy of any RMT that I forked over much more money to for the exact same service. At the end of the day, if I can book this trip next year for the same price, same hotel, we have already decided that we will be on our way back to Costa Rica. One week only gives you a chance to scratch the surface of this wonderful garden of Eden.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the 'Royal' section if you can afford it. You get your own pool, pool bar and bre...
1 Thank Diane D
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

The resort itself is quite expansive. I liked the fact that they have a separate pool and area for adults. They had great food and a quite a selection of restaurants and beverages to choose from. The service was also very good for the most part.

For the tours, we chose a 20+ mile 4 wheeling trip to zip lines, which was absolutely incredible. The zip lining totaled 12 "zips" thru the trees which was extremely exhilarating. We also signed up for a 2 tank scuba dive about 30 minutes off the coast. It was great. We saw many manta rays, colorful fish, star fish, etc. The dive company (Brindisi) was no doubt the most professional and helpful outfit we have ever used. I brought my own BCD, regulator, etc. They were nice enough to setup all of my equipment and perform a thorough check on my gear even cleaning my O2 for me. While hesitant at first, we chose to sign up for these tours with a gentleman named ERIK GARCIA at the entrance of the beach. He was great!! He saved us some time and cost us a less money overall vs. booking thru the hotel where there was a line of people waiting to setup excursions and a premium price. The hotel even uses the same tour companies, but it would have ended up being a lot more hassle this way. We wIll definitely be back within the next 2 years!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Ryan W
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Playa Conchal for a week in Dec. 2012 and loved it. Our room was near the main pool which was very convenient - all of the activities and restaurants are very close. We took yoga and aqua-fit classes with Kenny- he has great energy and kept us fit during the week. Also, the coffee tasting class is fun with Laura. The photographers at the resort were surprisingly good- we never buy vacation photographs taken by others- and we ended up buying several (we looked better in the pics than in real-life!) We enjoyed all of the restaurants- our favorite was the mediterranean themed one. All in all, I highly recommend this property- rooms were spacious, clean and modern, resort grounds are beautiful and well-kept, food is excellent, fresh, plentiful, and service was superb. The only negative is that when you leave the resort to go on the beach (which is beautiful and calm, not alot of waves) you pass by alot of local vendors. They arent aggressive, but you do have to tell them once you arent interested- unless you want to be offerred tours/goods every time you walk to the beach. We did a scuba trip with Swiss travel which is on the Westin property- outfitter was great and water was warm. We did hear good reviews about Eric, who offers tours just outside the westin on the beach.
I wish there were more Westin all-inclusives!! we loved this one.

Room Tip: rooms closer to the beach and main pool are more convenient to activities and restaurants
5 Thank grey27
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I agree that the food and the liquor quality was good. The rooms were nice and the plus is that you can ask for room service without extra cost. What i consider it must be an improvement: a) The transportation services at night don't work. You have to wait a lot. b) I had a problem with the closet and I waited for the maintenance person for two hours, when i called back they did not know when or who was going to fix the door. I had to fix it myself c) You feel like the are two kinds of guess class A and class B. It is not acceptable if you are paying for the service and you ask the waiter in the main pool to bring you a glass of water that they answered :" sorry you have to do it by yourself because I only provide services for the Premium clients. So, i was thinking .. so why are you passing throught the pool? your CLASS A clients shoul be in another hotel. This kind of attitude makes me think do I want to pay $500 per night and I still being considered as Class B CLIENT?

This is very dissapointed. And there was only 1 person to provide services to ALL The class B clients that were in the pool. The same week i visited the Hotel Hilton Papagayo, they do not provide batches and you feel like everyone is the same.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We usually avoid all inclusives as the food and atmosphere becomes a little boring after a few days but the selection of restaurants and incredible service were a joy. The rooms were very comfortable and quiet. It is a big property but it was easy to catch a shuttle to get around. If you can stand the heat, golf in the afternoon and you'll have the course to yourselft.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have a view, so location doesn't matter much. I second floor room or one faci...
4 Thank c b
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

The staff is very nice and accommodating. The only slightly odd part is the room layout has a separate shower stall and toilet stall but doesn't have even a vanity curtain for the bathroom. It can be difficult to find a place to change clothes once the shower is wet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#2 of 3 in Sardinal
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,927 reviews

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!