The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort
Reserva Conchal Beach Resort, Golf & Spa(Playa Conchal)(Great Value!)
$280
Hotel Brasilito(Brasilito)(Great Value!)
$41
Hotel Nany(Brasilito)(Great Value!)
$83
Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa(Playa Flamingo)(Great Value!)
$240
$129
  • Pool
Guanacaste Lodge(Playa Flamingo)(Great Value!)
$75
$73
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel(Playa Potrero)(Great Value!)
$126
$118
Seis Playas Hotel(Huacas)(Great Value!)
$89
$73
Villaggio Flor de Pacifico(Playa Potrero)(Great Value!)
$106
  • Spa
4,547 results
All reviewsroyal beach clubroom serviceerik garciazip liningswim up barcosta ricaswiss travelpizzadinner reservationsour honeymoonitalian restaurantmain poolhot springspura vidaall inclusivesmake reservationshorseback riding
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Let me start by saying that I did a great deal of research for which resort to stay at before booking. And I read numerous entries on the westin. From my point of view this was the best resort we've ever stayed at. My husband and I pick a different location and hotel every year for our anniversary and this was the best by far.
From the start it was good. Our travel agent booked a shuttle for our pick up and we were the only ones on board. This worked great because it's like we had our own private guide who was telling us all about the region, what to expect, places to go, and we were able to make stops to take pictures and visit shops. Once we got to the resort, the look was amazing. This is a real exquisite resort. It was hard for us to understand the lady at the front desk because her accent was strong, so we were a Iittle confused at first but wanted to make the best of it, so we went to the bar and started enjoying our all inclusive drinks while we waited for our rooms that wasn't ready until 3pm. We figured out from other guests that to leave the lobby you take a shuttle. We took it and went looking for Eric on the beach, just like all the other reviews mentioned. We found him but was helped by Aaron, who was just a nice and informative. We immediately booked our excursion for the next day because we knew of course the hotel would be more and I trusted all the other reviews that spoke so highly of Eric.
When our room was ready, we headed over to the royal beach club suite which included our personal butler Bergen. He was amazing. He walked to the room with us, made sure everything was ok and working and asked if we needed anything. He made arrangement for our dinner that night. Also we were told about a local seafood restaurant, the golden shrimp that was suppose to be the best. So he arranged for us to eat there our second night. The room was great, clean, and had everything. We went to the royal members only pool which was nice because no kids allowed although there was not much kids at the resort. I cannot complain about anything with this resort it was great from start, although it was big and they had shuttles, we walked most of the time. There was not much guest because we were still in the rainy season so it was nice to enjoy some peaceful walks. (It only rained a little the first day we were there). My husband got sick from all the drinking the first night so we ordered room service. The meal was good, no complains there. And they had a good amount of English movie channels so we enjoyed a relaxing night in the jacuzzi and bed.
Our excursion was amazing. Once again we were the only ones to go ATV riding so it was like we had our own personal guide. His name was Jose and he was great. We learned so much about the country, and went into the towns and saw the locals, and animals, especially seeing the monkeys were great. How the excursions work is that Jose tells Eric his price for the various activities and then Eric charges whatever price he wants to make a commission. If you want to save extra money you can contact Jose personally his email is LeivaJose1@gmail.com. And his number is 8617-8224 locally just dial 9 from your room. You can dial 011-506 before the number if you want to call long distant before you get there. I love to budget and save money so I wish I knew about Jose before we got there. Trust me the more you save, the more excursions you can afford, and all the excursions are amazing. The only thing Jose cannot do is diving because he's not certified. But he is authorized to do everything else.
The restaurant we tried golden shrimp was ok. Basically it was a beach hut. The food was good but very expensive, a bill for two is almost $100. Not worth it if your at an all inclusive resort. We tried the Italian and Japanese restaurants and there were good. No complains about any of the food at the resort. Our last day we went walking on the beach and a local offer horseback riding to us for $20 each. Good deal so we did it. He was god, a little difficult to understand but was good for the money. We rode on the beach then went into the rainforest where we saw so many animals. If your interested in nature and on a budget, head to the beach and do the horseback riding from a local standing by his horses.
At the end of our vacation we were sad to leave so a beautiful resort. If you can afford it staying in the royal beach club is definetly worth it. Anything you wanted and needed was taken care of thought your personal butler.

Room Tip: Everywhere and everyone takes U.S. dollar. Make sure you bring plenty of change for tipping. Everyone went above and beyond there service, that you cannot help but tipping although it's not required.
2  Thank Lawed2010
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great all inclusive ..... Good food and staff... 90% or more of people at resort and town spoke English.... The room was extremely clean...the room service food was terrific. They take great care of the grounds and are fixing stuff around the resort since it is rainy season.(tile roofs, tiling out door bathrooms) staff take great care and pride in the resort. I have been to two other all inclusive places that included scuba ( couples and sandals). but if you want scuba you only need to meet Eric or the other guys on the beach from Conchal paradise. Very respectful and helpful. Never pushy!!!.. Got scuba and surfing lesions from them . did 4 dives and surfed for 3 hours !!!. Felt very safe and the two instructors where wonderful. I will be back, can't beat the price, and the people. The Resorts is beautiful, it was the rainy season but only rained two days but it was warm and mostly a soft rain. Not crowded thus got a lot of personal attention. This is my very first review on any place, just moved to tell others how nice it is.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Komacko
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This place was perfect for our honeymoon! We went for 7 days right after our wedding from 8/29 through 9/5/12. We couldnt have asked for anything more! It was a little bit of everything from beaches, pools, outdoor activities, relaxation and much more. I think its a place for everyone whether you are a couple, family, friends vacation etc. We were happy from beginning to end, despite the hurricane that delayed our arrival to the 7.6 earthquake that left us leaving with an excitement of something we would not forget! Being from CA, that was definitely something we ever felt before. Aside from the earthquake, we were so happy it didnt happen until we were about to leave for the airport, otherwise we wouldnt have wanted to do all that we were able to. I will try and be as brief as possible to summarize it all and give you reviews to each and every little thing we did:
- Flight: live in Philly and flew to Miami to get a direct flight to Liberia, which we recommend - its just easier. Flights to and from were great and we took American Airlines.
- Transportation - very easy. we recommend just call the hotel and they will make a reservation for you. they have your name at the airport and you just hop right into the van - private trip was $90 each way plus $10 tip - but well worth it
- The residents of Costa Rica are really nice from the moment we got there! It took about 1 hour and 25 minutes if I remember correctly. Ride to the Westin was beautiful and didnt feel long at all
- The entrance to the hotel was very pretty. they also have condos on site that looked really nice.
- Check in was very smooth - we were upgraded to the royal beach club and were given the honeymoon package - just a small touch of added enhancements which were very nice of the staff. If you are upgraded to the RBC, then they quickly get your name at the main lobby, and give you a ride on their cool little gold cart wagons and take you to the Royal Beach club (RBC) lobby area. that is where we were greeted with fresh amazing Mojitos, wet towel to refresh your self from the heat and a concierge lady that met with you to discuss the entire hotel accommodations of what we needed to know, etc. She took us to our building to introduce us to our personal building concierge who was just amazing!!! Don't know if you can do requests - but Bergen was awesome!!!! sweetest guy ever!!!! His customer service and professionalism was outstanding.
- From there on, it was perfect! We loved our room, the service, the food was great. Of course some buffet's were not amazing, but its a buffet. What else do you expect?! For being all inclusive, we were very impressed. We love food, and think the Westin did a wonderful job. I would say our least favorite was the Asian restaurant. but then again, some others loved it and it was our least favorite. Just keep an open mind. We were pleased with everything!
- Adult pool was so relaxing, the service was impeccable. Eric, the pool attendant was the nicest man ever! He was there all week and all day, and got you drinks to your lounge chair, he was so helpful with any questions you had, he took of care your needs and just went above and beyond.
- Shows lacked a bit but overall they were good. great staff and they kept everyone entertained. - they have ping pong, bike tours, and all kinds of complimentary activities for guests
- We highly recommend Erick Garcia at the beach outside of Westin for your outdoor activities. He and his team were very nice and trustworthy. We did the ATV to Tamarindo tour with Rigo. He was really nice and took his time to show us around and always made sure to stop at any scenic routes to tell us any history, or show us cool birds and anything that he thought we would appreciate. He took pictures of us when needed and made sure we didnt miss any kodak moments that he though we needed.
- We did do the big trip through the hotel though since it was further off site and just to be a bit safer. Nothing at all ever felt unsafe. the location, residents and places all felt very secure. we did the Buena vista tour through the hotel. it was a little of everything: horseback riding, zip lining, water slide that was scary but soooooooo fun inthe jungle, authentic homemade lunch, mud bath in the hot springs which was just amazing. it took a whole day but you didnt get home too late, so you were still able to go to dinner that night, and the ride was only 1 1/2-2 hours rather than 4 hours for other tours. we definitely recommend this trip. the tour guides name was Natalie who was with you all day and she was really funny and nice! we enjoyed her hospitality.
- If you do the bike tour, do not go the "hard" route, because we almost passed out! lol... you need to be in shape for that, unless we are just wimps!
- Weather was amazing! It barely rained, but when it did, it was only for 10-15 minutes and then it as gorgeous as of it never rained.

- When the earthquake happened early morning, the Westin was very professional to assist everyone and acted quickly. So in case of any natural disasters, you can be assured that they took great care of us! We had a Tsunami warning and they quickly moved us up the hill. It was scary but was a great story ending to our honeymoon but hope to never have to be in a situation like that again.

Westin will be highly recommended by us to anyone we know and we will definitely be back. The staff was amazing and we couldnt have been happier. Thank you Westin! :)

Room Tip: Royal Beach Club location was perfect!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alex S
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our wonderful honeymoon in paradise at the Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal. We stayed there 10 days, 9 nights (Oct. 18-27), and had a wonderful experience there. I am going to split up my review into portions (food, accomodations, service, tips, excursions, etc.)

Check-In: Poor. We arrived at the resort around 12:30-1 PM local time, after waking up at 2 AM EST to fly from BWI to Newark International to Liberia, and needless to say we were exhausted and wanted a quick check in process, not to mention I was still getting over a cold, and I could barely hear out of one ear due to the cabin pressure still wearing off from the airplane. Even after emailing employees at the resort a few days ahead of time to make sure everything was okay with our reservation (and the earthquake there in early September), my wife and I still had to an hour and a half to check into our room. Granted, they allowed us to have a few drinks at the lobby bar and go eat lunch, but even after drinks and food, our room was still being prepared by housekeeping. Finally around 3 PM our room was ready and we were allowed to go rest in there. I also requested a complimentary upgrade to the Royal Beach Club considering it was our honeymoon and I was a SPG Member and the resort didn't appear to be crowded, but was denied (I don't have Gold or Platinum status with SPG), but was given the option of upgrading for $40/person/day, which would have cost us an extra $800 for the entire trip, so we decided against it. We obviously didn't expect or demand that they upgrade us complimentary, but it would have been a nice added touch. After spending a few days there, I surmised that they probably didn't upgrade us because the Circle K Corporation invaded on Saturday and Sunday with its employees, and all of them were RBC guests.

Service: Excellent. The resort employees always have a smile on their faces, speak (at least) passable English (if not much better), and are always happy and willing to do whatever it is to make your stay and experience enjoyable. They kept the food and drinks constantly flowing, and complied with every request we made or question we asked. The bartenders at the pool bar were excellent and deserve special recognition. Go see them for your drinks and you will be happy the entire time! And yes, tips do make a difference - the employees do work very hard to make sure the guests are happy, so definitely do recognize their hard work and great drinks that they prepare.

Although the housekeeping was overall very good, there were a few days that we had to wait until the later afternoon for our room to be cleaned and to receive bath towels, which was slightly annoying. The shuttle bus service is a nice convenience, but unless you have mobility issues or the weather is inclement, it's not really necessary. There was one morning where it was raining heavily and we were due to meet up with our tour guide in the lobby at 7:30 AM and requested a shuttle bus, and one never came for us. But overall, the service was excellent, and top-notch all around.

Room: Very nice, although slightly odd in its configuration and layout (if traveling with children or non-family members, the bathroom/toilet/shower area only has a clear glass door, thus making it possible to view others showering or using the toilet, just an FYI). The bed is a slightly raised "level" (two steps) above the rest of the room, and was very comfortably and welcoming. The shower was a "rainforest" style with the high facuet-style shower head and marble walls on three sides that I personally love. Each room also has a large balcony area that is great for room service breakfasts, reading a book, or enjoying a pre or post dinner drink. There is also a small kitchen area with a sink and your mini fridge, and two desks as well which came in handy.

Food/Drink: Very good. I am not a big breakfast person, so the repetitive breakfast buffet at the Mitra Restaurant was not my favorite, but it was very extensive, and there was always something there that was delicious. It goes without saying, but be sure to try the fresh fruit (mango, tangerines, papaya), and also the local Costa Rican/Central American dishes. We also got room service breakfast a few types, which, while it had a somewhat small selection, was pretty good. My wife especially enjoyed the eggs benedict.

Lunch was either at the Mitra (buffet) restaurant, Spirula (pizza/pasta), or Caracola (right next to the pool/beach area, sandwiches, wraps, salads) each day. I would probably say that Spirula was my favorite, the pizza was excellent, made in a brick oven. The nutella dessert was also excellent, be sure to try that dish. My wife and I also really enjoyed the fact that the restaurants always put fresh lettuce/mint/other vegetables in the water pitchers in order to further purify the water and give it extra flavor and nutrients. It sounds (and looks) odd, but it is very good, and a very nice extra added touch that neither of us had ever seen before. The lunch buffet at Mitra was very good (and filling), but not the best idea if you're going to be laying out in the hot sun for the afternoon or swimming in the ocean/pool.

Dinner restaurants were also very good, for the most part. Over the 9 nights, we ate at each of the open restaurants, and we enjoyed the Mediterranean (Mediterra) and French (Cauri, in the lobby), the best (we ate at each of those 2x). Faisanella was also quite good (and certainly the most luxurious and beautiful restaurant), but the service there was mediocre at best. We also enjoyed the Asian Fusion restaurant (Bamboo), although the dessert was only okay. The Latin restaurant (Las Canales) was good as well, but not in comparison to Mediterra or Cauri. The Mitra dinner buffet was good, but again, the sit down restaurants were better; the buffet is best for your excursion days when you've been running around all day and just want a large, hearty, filling meal.

Also, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't try some of the local dishes and specialities while you are there. Be sure to go out and have a meal or two at the local restaurants in the area and try some BBQ chicken or breaded tilapia, rice and beans, and other dishes. We enjoyed local lunches on two of our excursions, and they were probably my favorite meals of the entire trip. Also be sure to try the local Costa Rican BBQ sauce, Salsa Lazion (sp). It is a sweet BBQ sauce that tastes amazing on EVERYTHING - chicken, fish, meat, potatoes, rice, beans, etc. You can buy some at grocery stores in the area and take it home with you, and be sure to do so! The local Costa Rican rum (I forget the name), and tequila/vodka (Cacique) are also very good, you can buy bottles at the grocery stores or duty free stores.

Excursions: Excellent! Like everyone else, we booked all of our excursions through Erick Garcia on the beach. You will meet him within 5 seconds of setting foot on the beach, he is impossible to miss. He is a local, very friendly, and more than happy to book you on any and all excursions that you are interested in. Tours booked through him are small and personal - 1 tour we booked through him (the Mega Combo tour - ziplining, horseback riding, rainforest hike, all-natural hot springs, mudbath, and waterslide) only had 1 other couple, another tour (Rincon de la Vieja Volcano), was just us and the tour guide. His prices are lower than the tour group on site, and his tours run no matter how many people are interested. He also helped you pick the right tour for what you want - we were interested in doing a day trip to Nicaragua, but, he said we'd have to leave at 4:45 in the morning, and wouldn't return until 9-10 PM at night, so we decided against that. We also were interested in going to the Arenal Volcano, but again, we'd have to leave at 5:30 and wouldn't return until 10 PM, not to mention that since Arenal is an active volcano, visitors can't even get close to it, let alone walk on/near it. So, we decided upon a day trip to Rincon de la Vieja, which allowed us to actually walk on an active volcanic crater, and see the bubbling mud and water, and smell the sulfur. Please be aware though that if you are worried about injury, insurance, or licensing, go with the tour company through the resort, or a larger/more established company. None of these things were issues for us, but, it is important to be aware of.

I also recommend purchasing a massage on the beach from Erick's wife/her friends. We got a couples massage (1 hour for both of us - $50 + tip!!!), and it was amazing. It was great to have a late afternoon massage right on the beach, with the waves crashing nearby. A massage on the beach is a MUST (my wife got a 30 mins. massage the Westin Spa, which she said was also excellent)!!!

We did our two tours mentioned above with the famous Rigo Sauve, and he was amazing! For our first tour (Mega Combo on Sunday morning), he greeted us in the lobby with hugs and high fives, and was very enthusiastic and knowledgable, and tons of fun. He truly loves his job, and enjoys meeting tourists from all over the world, and making sure we have a great experience in his country. He is a freelance tour guide as well, so you are welcome to contact him personally if you'd like to make arrangements through him. He was more than happy to take many pictures for us, and even took us to a grocery store on the way home from our second tour with him to buy some local products for home. He also loves American rock music, so be sure to bring your MP3 player and AUX cable and you can rock out with him while driving to/from your excursion!

Tips:
-Bring insect repellant, and lots of it (you WILL get bit up regardless)
-Do the golf cart tour on the Westin property, you'll get to go to areas of the property that you normally wouldn't get to see, it runs at 3 PM every day
-Do the guided bicycle tour offered by the Activities Center (it runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9 AM) - it is a workout with a few steep uphill climbs, but you'll see some beautiful areas of the property and some amazing views
-Rent (it's free) an ocean kayak for an hour and go out and paddle around; it's a lot of fun and you'll get to see other areas/beaches bordering Playa Conchal
-Bring a few large clear plastic bags, and order pizzas from Spirula the day before you leave for lunch at the Liberia Airport on your departure day; there's only 1 food option there, and it's very crowded and expensive
-BUY SALSA LAZION FOR HOME (sp)!!!
-Bring plastic insulated cups/coffee mugs with you for your drinks; the bartenders are happy to put your drinks in them rather than the regular small plastic cups, and they keep your drinks colder longer
-Best drinks: (frozen) mojitos, in a variety of flavors; Miami Vice; Rum Runner; Mai Tai; and any number of assorted flavored fruit daiquiris
-Neither my wife nor I play golf, so we can't comment on the golf course
-Bring a rain jacket and cap (duh) if you are traveling there during the rainy season
-Bring a pair or two of pants that convert into shorts
-Bring $ for tips; the staff here works very hard, and even though it's an all-inclusive resort, doesn't mean they shouldn't receive tips for their efforts!

Room Tip: Request a room in a Buildings in the low to mid 30s (32-37), those buildings have the best location to the restaurants (except for Faisanella), the pool, the pool bar, and the beach. I read that Buildings 1, 2, and 3 are good locations as well. Also, request a room on the upper (second) floor; although you do have to climb a flight of stairs (which is annoying when you are with luggage, although the bellhops will obviously take it for when arriving and departing), during the rainy season, you will be happy when your room doesn't get (potentially) flooded.
13  Thank AriS269
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was our honeymoon trip! We were married 10/20/12 and flew out of Miami on 10/22/12 and left on 10/27/12. Honestly 5 days is not long enough if you want to see the country like we did. The first day they greeted us and took us down to the royal beach club lobby. They gave us a refreshing Asian mojito which ended of being my favorite drink of the week. Couldn't get enough of it and highly recommend. We stayed in a regular room with no fancy hot tub but we met someone who did have it and I would recommend getting that room on your honeymoon but we ended up keeping our room which was still nice. We did so much that we were barely there. The private pool was awesome and of course the swim up bar is the best. As everyone has said, it is crucial to get dinner reservations. This was difficult for us because we were always too late to make a reservation, we either forgot or had left too early for a tour. We ate at the buffet once for dinner but was very good. We ate at the Italian restaurant 3 nights and was amazing. We were there for the earthquake which was not a big deal for us just startling but went on with the night. It made for a good story. We had done some research about the tours and we will also highly recommend Erick Garcia. You will find him down at the beach. We booked three tours through him and highly recommend them all. We first did the ATV tour and zip-lining in the canopy. The ATV action was intense but very enjoyable. Went through some rough terrain and on the beach. The zip lining was a great experience. Lots of monkeys and wildlife. We even held a baby monkey. I even hung upside down on the zip line. The second tour was a Nicaragua tour. I do highly recommend this. Louis was a great tour guide and really does care for your safety. It was VERY reasonably priced, as were all the tours. We left very early and come back a bit late but I'm telling you, it was quite the experience. The total amount of time was about 16-17 hrs. You want to see culture and eat great food? Go. You experience an active volcano and go on a boat tour and also another volcano crater. We got up the very next morning to squeeze in another tour. We went to Miravalles with Rico Suave! You are awesome!! He took us up a mountain to experience a gorgeous waterfall in the rainforest. Then to the hotsprings and another crater that you actually are walking in. You see the boiling hot mud and water and the steam and gases. You the. Get to do the mud bath and it was actually very nice. Also the exceptional lunch with a beautiful view!!! I am very paranoid about rating bad foods especially out of the country. But I'm telling you the food was awesome on both tours. The resort had great food as well. Amazing fruit, I wish I could get it shipped! My only wish was to have more time to spend at the resort to relax and enjoy our time. But I do not regret the tours because it was amazing and why go to a different country without experiencing their amazing food and culture. Bergen and Jonathan were our awesome butlers. Thank you all for your hard work. It was an amazing experience that we will not forget and would love to re visit. I used trip advisor to read about others before we came to help us out, so I hope this helps you!

Room Tip: All rooms are great. I wish I did get a bungalow or a room with a jacuzzi on the balcony. If you can afford it, do it.
8  Thank Charity_and_tj