The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 13, 2012

i went all inclusive, opted for the non-adult accommodations though. I've noticed that nobody has made mention of the armbands. The goldish ones are all inclusive, and include services of a butler, and the adults only zone - the pool bar is open quite a bit later, and it tends to be much quieter than the other pool. it's also an average of an extra $200/night in slow season. I was informed by the staff that when there's a lot of europeans staying, there is a large possibility of adults only becoming topless.

Personally, i was very happy with the junior suite and my green armband. i got kicked out of the adults only section regularly while visiting people that i met on the resort. i found that even traveling solo, it was quite easy to meet other guests, and the staff was extremely friendly, most can speak at least basic english, fluent in spanish, and about half are fluent in Portuguese as well. While i was at the coffee shop (a serious addiction of mine) the general manager of the hotel came up and introduced himself and his daughter to me (she's 3 and very cute), he also gave me his card so that i could make any requests to his private email, for my next trip.

The resort is situated next to a wildlife refuge. As such, there are a ton of animals that you can see on the property. They just wander around, great for pictures. The coati-mundi (a raccoon with a long nose and a long tail) are extremly good at distracting you so that they can steal your drink...drunk raccoons are funny, anyway, so, it's all good.

The hotel is a bit secluded, but there is a village nearby, and Tamarindo is a short cab ride away. I'm coming back to Costa Rica in about 6 weeks, and I will be staying here for sure again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Blair F
Write a ReviewReviews (4,273)

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel is amazing! My husband and I recently stayed for our honeymoon and couldn't have asked for a better experience. The staff is truly incredible and consistently goes "above and beyond." I highly recommend the Sunset Cruise - you can always book these through the Concierge.

Room Tip: The Royal Beach Club is amazing! Rooms are extremely quiet and the pool is very relaxing.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Amanda D
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I just returned a couple of days ago from my week at the Westin. It was as great as all the review say. Most everything was wonderful.

THE RESORT is large and beautiful, this was my 3rd trip to Costa Rica, I believe I seen more animals & birds on the property than my entire previous two trips to the country. It was wonderful and exciting. Even if you don't golf like me, you can still take a golf cart tour around the course. You have a tour guide, & you drive your own cart its only $15. Only negative to that is it's only 1 time a day at 3:00p, most wildlife is out early a.m. or late evenings so we really didn't see much. It was still worth it though. The pool is large, was very clean, and uncrowded but, it was the off season, their really weren't many people at the resort. I had booked a Jr. Suite room, I was lucky enough to be upgraded to the Royal Guest status, which was great, it comes with a adult royal member only pool, & other great ameneties. Although after only 2 nights, I asked to be "downgraded" back down to the jr suite rooms, these are small buildings through the property, they are larger, but best of all for me was the fact they are surrounded by flowers/trees/wildlife/quite nature sounds as opposed to the pool party loundness, etc. It just depends on the person which type of vacation you are looking for. But you almost feel not worthy enough if you are not a royal guest & only a regular guest. It is a larger property & they have shuttles (actually normal size trucks basically) that can transport you around. But I actually found walking to be much more enjoyable and it's not so large as so you can't walk everywhere easily. Rooms are amazing, nice, clean, look new and up to date (perfect actually). Very great daily maid service. Got checked in immediately, quickly & was given room right away even though actually earlier than check in time. EVERYONE working there was polite, friendly, professional, a great, wonderful staff I could not say enough about how great they all were! My one NEGATIVE OF THE RESORT WAS:: They have signs throughout that say "Do not feed the wildlife" Which i 100% agree with and understand but does that actually have to include the poor starving cats/kittens you see throughout the property. They are all so friendly, and sad, skinny, starving will even eat just bread. I was reprimanded by one worker for feeding the cat, He said at the "Westin Resort we do not feed the animals!" Yea i got that from looking at them, maybe if they used some of all that wasted left over food they have to feed the poor cats, the guest wouldn't feel sorry for them and feel the need to do it!!

THE FOOD was to me basically maybe a little better than most all inclusive resorts. The service was excellent. They have mabe 4-6 restaurant choices, due to it being the off season, usually only 1 sometimes 2 were open a nite. I was disappointed the buffet was only open for dinner two nights i was there. I prefer to go to buffet, after a tour/trip due to the fact your tired and you can't really make reservations without worrying if you'll be back in time or not. Room Service is included and 24 Hours a day which is unheard of. The menu choices aren't many or that great but its anytime. But with room service make sure you ask for each and every condiment you want because for some reason otherwise you don't get
any at all.

THE TOURS yes, like everyone else, i did read the reviews here before I went so i had to go check out Eric Garcia, at the beach. He is right there at the gate like it says you cannot miss him. I found him to be great! He was informative but, not at all pushy. He was there everyday, I don't think he takes a day off. He remembered me everyday by name and greeted me. I was traveling solo so most of you may not know it's hard to get tours like that sometimes, I told Eric the trip I wanted to take and he found other people wanting to go and set it up (we had a amazing group of people on the tour). It was great! Had a wonderful time, went to a waterfall, then to volcano, hiking, mud baths like a $100 a person (cheaper than others). He really tries to get you want you want, and wants you to enjoy it. I also did the at tour with his company (just me solo two hours only $50) it leaves from right there on the beach, we went to two other amazing beaches, took me down to see the howler monkeys in the trees which totally made the trip. You should at least check him out and the options & prices he has before booking anything else.

Thanks Westin and Eric & Company it was a great vacation. Recommended for sure!!

Room Tip: The Royal rooms are smaller but more ameneties, in more happening area. The standard rooms are large...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
12  Thank CarribeanBound1
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Everything about the Westin Playa Conchal was extraordinary, from its luxurious facilities to its location in one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica.
However, what made our stay unforgettable was the incomparable personalized service we received from the hotel’s forthcoming staff. The welcoming attitude of every single person working at the hotel made us feel like royalty since the moment we walked in to the moment we left.
Some of the most remarkable aspects of the service at Westin Playa Conchal included the availability of our concierge, who was always a phone call away, ready and willing to help us in any possible way to make our stay pleasant, and the proactiveness of the royal-beach-club representatives, who made the necessary arrangements to let us check in into our room prior to the check-in time and leave past our check-out time. Another feature of the hotel that we found extremely valuable was the timely manner in which our requests were met. Small details such as how fast we received a club car every time we needed to be driven somewhere within the facilities, and how quickly room service was at our door when we ordered food, made us feel like the staff at the hotel valued our time and our comfort, and that they truly were there to help us have the vacation of our lifetime.
Lastly, I would like to mention a noteworthy characteristic of this hotel that differentiates it from all other all-inclusive hotels we’ve visited and that made us fall in love with it: its food. Each restaurant at the Westin hotel was a culinary journey that made us travel through our senses to the best gastronomic spots in the world. And though each restaurant offered a distinctive menu and a unique ambiance, they all shared a common denominator: all of them offered an out-of-this-world experience, not only for their exceptional food, but also for the professionalism and the kindness of the personnel working in them.
All I have left to say is… If you want your next vacation to be a memorable one, the Westin Hotel at Playa Conchal is the place for you.

Room Tip: Royal beach
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank derek s
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We went to Costa Rica to celebrate our anniversary. We stayed at the Westin and had an incredible trip. The staff was incredibly accommodating, the beach was gorgeous, and we couldn't have asked for a better experience.
We booked several tours with Eric Garcia after reading the comments on this website. We found him immediately (actually, he found us) after we arrived and asked what we were interested in. We told him, and he made several recommendations. I actually went back and priced the same tours with the hotel's company, and the same tours were significantly more expensive when booked through the hotel. We booked with Eric and were very pleased. Don't hesitate to use him - it's the same service for much less $$, and we were happy to support a local business. He's out on the beach all day every day, and he works hard to earn your business. I wish every resort had someone like him! I highly recommend the catamaran tour on a boat called the Lazy Lizard. The snorkeling was great, the sunset was stunning, and the crew bends over backwards to make sure you have a good time.
Some people have complained about the lack of a private beach, but we liked it exactly as it was. It's nice to be able to step out of your resort and meet some of the people from Costa Rica. Presumably you go on a trip like this to learn a little about Costa Rica, and if you never leave the property, you're missing out on a great experience.
Overall, we had a great trip. It's a beautiful country, and the Westin is a beautiful place to stay. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the main pool! The pool is located by the beach and many of the restaurants, so if...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Meri T
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Lengthy review so please bear with me! My fiancé and I stayed at the Westin from October 1-7 to celebrate our engagement and my birthday.

It was seriously one of the best and most relaxing vacations we've had in a long time. It's considered the rainy season right now in Costa Rica and the forecast said rain every day that we were there but it sprinkled only one day for literally 3 minutes while the sun was still out and we were already taking a dip in the pool so it wasn't even an issue.

We stayed in the adults only Royal Beach Club towers which has its own private pool and breakfast area if you choose to you it but you can use all the facilities on the beach. There's also concierge service at the RBC and I can't say enough great things about John and David. They were the best and such a delight to be around! Couldn't thank them more for help with restaurant and spa reservations and calling us a ride when we were too lazy to walk.

Unlike other reviewers we didn't find the beach vendors to be too pushy or aggressive but we did choose to book our activities with Swiss Travel who is affiliated with the Westin. We did the two hour beach tour in jet skis which was pretty cool because we rode in the open ocean and visited the beaches around our side of the area. My fiancé was driving and he had such a good time speeding in the open waters that I had to hold on for dear life.

The other tour we did was the Mega Combo which is 9 zip lines through the forest (one upside down!) and a horseback ride to the hot springs where you can rub mud all over yourself and soak in 5 pools with different temps of water. Definitely an adventure because the horseback ride is intense. You're going up and down rocky hills and paths... such an experience.

Other things you can do:
-Golf cart tour through the golf course ( you drive the golf cart :) ). A guide will show you all the views and cool flora and fauna.
-Eat at the Catalinas Steakhouse on the property not part of the Westin.
-Upon entering the beach area, take a right and walk to the small seaside town of Brasilito and eat by the sea but remember to ask for the price of everything. We (unknowingly) ate a $71usd lunch of ceviche, shrimp with rice, langostinas and two drinks!! He called it a "special just for you) but its worth checking out and the food was good.
-Watch monkeys-- monkeys on the property can be seen from the outdoor pools at the spa.
-$50 round trip taxi ride to Tamarindo, a surf town

There's sooo much more to say-- we love Costa Rica and the people and will miss all of it.

Mauricio at the front desk was so helpful a

• Stayed: October 2012
15  Thank MissYLeo
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I just arrived back home today and never have I wanted to write such an amazing review of a resort so quickly! My friend and I signed up for an all inclusive 4 night/5 day stay at The Westin Playa Conchal. I was actually quite hesitant at first to book an all inclusive hotel stay, as I've had friends and colleagues who have had nightmare experiences at other hotels - ie. poor cuisine, inadequate service, undrinkable cocktails, awful hotel rooms, etc. But our stay here quickly showed us that the Westin Playa Conchal must be the only exception to the stigma of an all inclusive. It is truly a rare find and quite a jewel in resort hotels!

The resort itself is beautiful, situated in a breathtaking part of Costa Rica, and every part of it is well taken care of. From the lobby, to the array of restaurants, shops, gym, pool, and landscaped grounds. The service was impeccable (better than the other 5 star and 5 diamond hotels I've ever stayed at). The staff both at the hotel and the restaurants were so warm and inviting.

We had the most standard suite and it was just perfect. Clean, spacious, and beautifully designed as "bungalow" style living. The only minor con (and this was the only remark I have) is that I wish there was more privacy between the bathroom and the living/bedroom area. Since I stayed with a friend, a frosted door as a separator for the shower and for the toilet from the rest of the suite, was just a bit challenging ;-). Otherwise, the rooms were a delight to come home to after a relaxing day.

The pool was enormous and the grounds were well maintained. There is a great "island" area in the middle of the pool you can lay on while still being in the water, and of course, the pool bar was fun. The beach was just steps away and offered breathtaking views.

The restaurants were the best parts! There is a handful of different international cuisines. And we had a difficult time trying to decide which one was our favorite as our stay went on. The buffet was well done with a mixture of local and international offerings. And every restaurant we went to had 5 star quality dining - and this is coming from New Yorkers. We were pleasantly suprised that a resort could offer such amazing food at ALL of their restaurants. Needless to say, we left a couple lbs heavier. The French, Latin, and Thai restaurants were our favorite for dinner. And the lobby bar is spectacular at night!

Also, I would suggest to speak to the travel and tour offices at the lobby. Depending on how active you want your vacation to be, you would regret not signing up for at least one tour so that you can take advantage of the surrounding area. We went on an exciting Mega Combo pacakage by Swiss Travel, that included zip lining in the forest, a water slide adventure, a locally grown and prepared lunch, horseback riding, and ending at the warm springs. I again do not like tours, but I had the best time, seeing how majestic Costa Rica and it's people are, and it was great to meet a lot of the other guests of the hotel that we saw everyday.

There are plenty of shops at this resort as well. The gift shop is well stocked with everything your need for your stay, and there are many other stores that will cater to your souvenir needs. There's even a local crafts pavillion with handmade gifts. So convenient!

I can honestly keep on going on about this resort. So I truly recommend the Westin Playa Concahl. And I thank Jovan, the front desk manager, and the wonderful concierge staff as well as the entire hotel team for helping us have a wonderful stay. I cannot wait to come back and that's a promise!

Room Tip: As for a location that is central in the resort. The resort drivers are great and there's always...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Address: Playa Conchal, Bahia Brasilito, Playa Conchal 232-5150, Costa Rica
Location: Costa Rica > Province of Guanacaste > Playa Conchal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Playa Conchal
Price Range: $380 - $1,213 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4.5 star — The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort 4.5*
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort is an eco-friendly resort in Playa Conchal, Cabo Velas, Costa Rica located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. An All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. Our retreat also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, West Indies, TravelUp, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal