“Excellent service!”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Excellent service!”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Excellent food, plenty things to do at the resort, the spa, the gym, the bars and lounges, the room was clean, quiet (I was closed to the disco bar) and comfortable...the cleaning ladies were amazing...I was there for business & leasure and running in between meetings my room was a mess but they cleaned to perfection everytime! Staff really friendly and helpful. Very nice, I enjoyed it 100%.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,418)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband and I recently had our wedding at the Westin Playa Conchal. Overall the experience was great. The resort is beautiful and nicely kept. The staff is friendly and we only experienced a few language communication challenges with the front desk staff and the staff at the Spa. We had 20 guests stay at the resort as well and all seemed to have a good time.

A couple of things to note if you are going to stay at this Resort:

+ Make dinner reservations early (at 8 am) because by 10 am they say all restaurants are full so you have to eat at the buffet or order room service.
+ If the dinner reservations are full, show up to the restaurant anyways and see if there is a cancellation. We ate at the Mediterranean and a huge table for 10 didn't show up, so they split the tables up and no one sat at them.
+ Take bug spray! We didn't need it the first few days, but the last few days the bugs were out in force. The resort will charge you $12-15 for a can of Off.
+ Take Pepto and other stomach remedies. Several of our guests, including me, experienced stomach cramps and other bathroom issues after eating the food on the resort. I'm not sure if it was the water, fruit or what, so bring reinforcements.
+ Go to the free things the resort offers. Every day the resort offers free exercise classes and other casual social events (like tequila tasting). We went to a few of these and found them to be fun and the exercise instructor isn’t too bad to look at either ;).
+ Do not go to the Disco expecting a cool night club/dance club. I don't think the Westin is designed as a huge party resort, so the Disco was a little disappointing in that it was REALLY loud, there were only a few people, and for the most part the resort is quiet by 11 pm.

I would also recommend going to Tamarindo, which is only about a 25 minute cab ride from the Resort. It's a cool surf town and has shopping and restaurants. It will also show you a different side of Costa Rica that you will not get staying on the resort. We went for part of a day and felt completely safe and had a great meal at Walters.

Planning a Wedding at the Resort:

If you plan on having your wedding at this resort and choose to work with the Wedding Coordinator (Daniella), you will need to stay on top of the details. We had no major issues and as far as our guests were concerned, it was perfect. but there were a few things I would have liked done differently. If you would like more information about planning your wedding at the Westin Playa Conchal, message me and I'll tell you all about what we did and what I would recommend for you based on my own experience working with the Resort and Daniella.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the pool and food are more central and accessible to the things you will use most...
16 Thank Haney531
Toronto
Reviewed April 19, 2012

A group of 16 of us stayed at the Westin Playa Conchal from April 9 - 16, 2012 for our friends' wedding and it was a wonderful stay. The trip was booked almost a year ago and I've been monitoring reviews on Tripadvisor since. I was worried about some of the negative comments from months ago but I have to say most of the problems mentioned are non-existence anymore and it was a great vacation for all of us.

RESORT
It is a big resort but there are a lot of buggies to take patrons to wherever they want to go. We usually dial 0 (Service Express) before we leave the room for a pick up and never have to wait more than 5 minutes. Our room was located in building 17 which is close to the lobby and far from the pool/beach/buffet. To be honest, it's really not that far to walk anywhere in the resort unlike what other reviews said. Probably takes about 10 minutes for us to walk to the main pool which is not a big deal. But I suppose the pool does seem far when it's 37 degrees out there, so if you don't want to walk a lot, ask for a room closest to the pool.

Each building has 8 units and there are 40 buildings (Regular not RBC). Rooms are big and comfortable. Some of the buildings are renovated and some are not. Ours hasn't been renovated and it was perfectly fine. The bride and groom's room was renovated and it does look more upscale (marble floor vs. tile floor, no pee bowl, shower stall).

A little odd to have a "pee bowl" next to the toilet in the washroom. Bathroom has no vent/fan, so any smell lingers and no way to get rid of, not very sexy if you know what I mean lol. May be bringing frebreeze isn't a bad idea. Water from shower flies miles away because the bath tub glass only covers half way, so be aware of the slippery floor.

TV channels are not too bad, lots of movie & sports channels + the norms like CNN, but we are not there to watch TV anyways.

You can ask for additional day-to-day items by just dialing 0, might save you a lot of packing space. Curling irons, detergent, body wash just to name a few.

There are literally no nightlife because it's not a party resort. There were about 20 people at the disco on the "stag-do/hen-do" night. We ended up playing drinking games on the patio instead. Don't let the signs fool you, there is no casino. There are shops near the pool for souvenirs but arts from the Artisan Market (very close to the shops) have better selection and price. Artisan Market accepts credit cards but will give you better price if you pay in cash.

POOL/BEACH
Pool is nice and big with a swim-up bar. Water is warm especially in the afternoon, but no complains. There are nets to play volleyballs and hoops to play basketballs as well as pool table and ping pong table next to the activity centre. You have to sign out towels at the activity centre, not a huge inconvenience. We have no problems finding empty lounge chairs and shade.

Beach currently has red tide which means water is toxic and smells a bit like rotten fish. Smell is not too overwhelming while we were suntanning on the beach for a couple of hours but going in the water is not recommended. It's probably why the beach is always deserted when we were there. There's a nice breeze on the beach and it's quiet (unless if ATVs are going across) so it's still great for sunbathing.

DRINKS/FOOD
They have heavy-handed on alcohol at the bars, but drinks taste almost virgin in restaurant. Pina Coladas were my drink of the week.

We ate at the buffet, pizza place near the pool as well as dinner at Italian, French, Mediterranean and Latin American Restaurants. Buffet doesn't have an enormous selection but we never left hungry. Pasta station was my favorite. Food seems to be saltier all around and a lot of the meat are overcooked for my taste. Nonetheless it was still better than other all-inclusive we've been to, but not as good as food on cruises.

Mediterranean was unanimously our favourite. You'll love it if you like seafood, lobster, seabass, shrimp, mussels and scallops are all on the menu. Others aren't bad either, my lamb shank at the Italian Restaurant was delicious but my friends order pasta and they were less than impressed. My boyfriend ordered meatball spaghetti and he got 5 tiny little meatballs and we can honestly make better ones ourselves.

We ordered room service quite a bit especially for breakfast, food is obviously not as great as if we were to eat at the buffet or restaurant but it was convenient and reasonably good enough.

BUGS
Surprisingly we didn't have any bug bites until the last 2 days, they seem to come out of nowhere. They are vicious and I was out on at the Artisan Market for 2 minutes and got bites all over. Bring bug spray.

GOLF/SPA
The boys went to the greens during our vacation while the girls spend half a day at the spa. Boys said the 18-hole golf course is good and full of wildlife. They saw monkeys, lizards and other animals. Golf shoes not required, runners are ok. Collar shirts are standard like any golf course.

Spa is beautiful and treatments are up to par comparing to North American standards. There are hot tub, steam room and sauna at each of the respective boys and girls change room. There is also an outdoor hot tub for both sexes that is absolutely gorgeous.

EXCURSIONS
We took other reviewers' recommendations and went to Erick Garcia on the beach for our excursions. He is as good as everyone said he is so don't hesitate to see him and support the locals! Half of us went on the Volcano (not Arenal)/Hot Spring/Mud Bath/Waterfall trip and they loved it (group rate $90 each). The other half went on an adventure trip to Buena Vista that includes horseback riding, hot spring, mud bath, 400-feet water slides and ziplining (group rate $95 each). The drive was about 1hr 45 mins each way and it was worth it because it was fun fun fun. Just a note that the ziplines aren't very long on this trip. So we went on another ziplining tour to the Congo Trail which was only 45 mins away, this is a half day trip with only ziplines at $45 each. It was awesome because the ziplines are very long and we had a blast. Lastly, I highly recommend the ATV tour at $50 each, it was exhilarating and so much fun. The guides brought us to another beach which was about a 30 mins ATV ride and it was absolutely beautiful. No red tide and we were able to get in the water and enjoyed the scenary, so bring your swimsuit!

I'm not a person who can sit still and not a fan of beach vacations, but honestly we were having so much fun that I wish we stay for an extra week. Costa Rica is a great country and people are genuinely nice. We truly enjoyed every minute of our vacation. If you stay near building 17, please feed the kitty mommy who has 2 kittens for us!

Room Tip: Rooms close to main pool
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Peg630
Chatham, NJ
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Traveling from NJ with a family of 4. Food was excellent. Plenty to do at the resort (pool, Westin activities, live shows at night) for the kids. Rooms were nice. The only thing that was just ok was the beach. You have to remember that it's the Pacific vs Caribbean. Now, the most controversial thing on this board is to where to book the out of resort activities like zip lining, monkey feeding, horseback riding, atv etc. Go to the beach and ask for Erik. He will absolutely save you money and will be more in the know than anyone. There is a bit of tension between the resort and the vendor(s) on the beach which isn't great for guests (they try to hide it but it exists) but just go to the beach and ask for Erik. I learned the hard way by paying more at the resort and ended up comparing everything to the beach vendor. Erik was better every time and more trustworthy too. Plus the activities are amazing!

3 Thank Chris N
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This was the 6th all inclusive we have visited. We have stayed at the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall in Jamaica and the rest of the AI’s have been in Mexico - LeBlanc in Cancun 3 times, Iberostar Grand 2 times and one visit each to Secrets Silversands and Maroma. LeBlanc, in our opinion, is the gold standard in all inclusive. However, the Westin Playa Conchal holds its own with companies such as Palace resorts and Iberostar that have been doing AIs for a long time.

We upgraded to the Royal Beach Club. Was it worth it? Absolutely! It would have been worth it just for access to the adults-only pool and breakfast/lunch buffet. However, you do get upgraded liquor (try the Centenario 5 anos dark rum) and access to the Royal beach club and their specialty coffee in the afternoon, the 6-9 happy hour in the evening that includes hors d’ oeuvres, plus private check in and check out, and wifi. The butler service that was included is a nice touch as well. I do not know if the rest of the resort is on the towel card system but I can tell you that the RBC is not. You can get as many towels as you need at once without worrying about turning the old ones in. This was a big relief for me as I don’t want to mess with keeping up with a card.

We went to the RBC happy hour every evening. We really enjoyed sitting out on the patio enjoying the nice evening breeze, the great service and the upgraded liquors. The hors d’ oeuvres were very good most evenings and were really appreciated because we like to eat dinner late (8:30 – 9) on vacation so the appetizers were a very nice tide-me-over as we waited for dinner. The waiters are very nice and have really great information about the area. Because of talking with John, our waiter most evenings, we went to one of the most gorgeous beaches we’ve ever seen, Playa Grande. It’s about a 15 minute drive from the resort (we had a rental car). We loved it so much we went 2 days of our 5 night stay. Great waves for boogie boarding and surfing (board rental available on the beach). He also told us about the festival going on in a nearby town. It was a rodeo that moves from town to town. We are really glad we went to that as well. It was nice to see how the locals enjoy their weekends and get to eat some real Costa Rican street food.

We are the type of people that would rather hang out at the beach than a pool. The beach at Playa Conchal is very pretty. They do have loungers out on the beach. They are all by the entrance to the beach where everyone walks by and near the vendors. For any type of serenity you must move the loungers down the beach a bit and put them in the tree line for shade since they don’t have umbrellas on the beach. That’s not really a big deal since shade is plentiful. However, while we were there the tide was such that we had to leave the beach in the early afternoon because the tide would come up so high that you were prevented from moving back any more due to the thick underbrush.

There is no beach service to speak of. To us, this was the biggest negative about this resort. We were served bottles of water while out on the beach be there was no one coming and taking orders. It’s too bad because drinking a cold adult beverage and sitting on a beautiful beach is our favorite thing to do on vacation. We made due by filling our collapsible cooler with ice and putting the beer from the mini bar in it and hauling it to the beach with us. Our mini bar was supplied daily with 4 beers (2 Imperials & 2 Imperial lights), 4 bottles of water and soda. We also supplemented the mini bar beers with a variety of beers we bought at the Super Cindy in Brasalito. Our favorite was Tona from Nicaragua.

In the afternoon we would go to the RBC pool. It was nice and quiet except for the swim-up bar. You are either a swim-up bar type of person, or you are not. We are not. In fact, we will get out of the pool and walk to the back of the swim up to get our drinks to avoid fighting for a spot to order a drink from the pool, no offense to people who love the swim-up, it’s just not our thing. The 3 afternoons we spent at the pool, we found the service spotty. I think they definitely need more servers. They were working hard, they just seemed a bit understaffed at times. The first afternoon we were never approached for a drink order, the 3rd afternoon the service was quiet attentive and we even ordered turkey burgers for lunch which arrived promptly and were really delicious.

There’s a cute little orange tabby cat that hangs out near/under the pool cabanas at the RBC. We always pack cat treats when we vacation out of the country because we always encounter cats or dogs that could use a little snack. This little guy is very friendly. He responds to typical “kitty come here” type sounds and a shake of a treat bag. If you’re an animal lover give this guy a treat, he sure seemed to appreciate ours.

The food may be the biggest advantage of staying at this resort. Like others have said, it really is delicious and incredibly fresh and is overall the best food we’ve experienced at an all inclusive. The Mediterranean was our favorite. I had the daily fish special, a combo of fish and shell fish in a wonderful sauce over mashed potatoes. My husband had the shrimp over pasta. The menu had prices on it. Our entrees were in the $26 range if not on the AI plan. I can tell you that I would have gladly paid that amount, it was that good. It was an open kitchen and you could tell each dish was prepared individually and made to order. Simply wonderful. A close second was the Latin restaurant. We both got the black bean soup. It was served with a hardboiled egg. We’ve never seen this before but we are firm believers that egg makes everything better (if you haven’t tried egg on a pizza or cheese enchiladas you’re missing out!). It was really delicious and a great twist on a basic starter dish. The egg comes whole so if you’re put off by the idea of eating egg with black bean soup, you can eat around it, but we thought it was very good. For an entree I ordered the Costa Rican Chifrojo. It was incredible! It’s a layered dish with rice, beans, freshly diced tomato, and chicharones (fried pork rinds), served with tortilla chips. My husband got the chicken and rice and said it was very good as well. You’ve got to try the tres leches for dessert. It’s one of the best we’ve had and we’re from Texas where this dish is common. We also ate at the French and Italian restaurants. The French was very good. I got the sardines on toast and my husband got the goat cheese for an app. Both were fabulous. We thought the Italian was good, but nothing special. I know that practically everyone raves about it in the reviews. I think it may be the most popular because the food is the most familiar to people from the US/Canada. Or maybe we’re just weird.

We had a great stay at the Westin and we would definitely return. I think that the lack of beach amenities is the biggest drawback of this resort. Who wants to walk to the pool bar to get a drink while on the beach? We don’t, especially we you are willing to pay for upgraded services. It would be great if there was a beach butler that was there to help you move your loungers, set up an umbrella, and take drink orders. This is a beach resort! Another thing that drove me crazy was when you ordered a beer they poured it in a plastic cup. We bring koozies to keep our beer colder longer as they get warm in minutes when sitting out in the sun. When we asked them not to pour the beer in the cup they said they had to. This is an obvious flaw with the management, not the bartenders who were just following orders. Why can’t you serve the beer in the can? This is a country that is trying to be environmentally responsible and it killed me to see every beer poured from a perfectly good can into a plastic cup when that’s not even how we preferred it.

There are so many things right with this resort that the things that are wrong with it seem small in comparison. The people who work there are great. Please tip them. They work very hard. I hear people say that they go to an AI because they don’t want to have to keep up with money, think about money, blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile, you are keeping up with books, sunscreen, sunglasses, ect. Throwing a few bucks in your beach bag isn’t going to kill you. I’ve worked in the service industry and know how hard it is and how much it’s appreciated to receive a tip for good service.

And one more thing! Aside from the excursions we took on our own we also did a 4 hour private sailing trip with Sailing Flamingo. It was really great. We sailed around the coast while the boat owner, a Canadian ex-pat, showed us points of interest. We snorkeled and saw 2 sting rays, had all the beer we wanted and fresh guacamole and chips for a snack. The serenity of the sail boat away from the crowded catamaran tours was worth every penny. The sunset was beautiful and we learned a lot about the area. I highly recommend this tour.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank frojjy
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We were at the Westin from April 9 - 16, 2012. As it was only my wife and I, we stayed in the Royal Beach Suites section (adults only) and enjoyed the added amenities. First of all, when you arrive at the property, you are taken back by its enormity. Initially you might think you need a GPS to get around, but areas are grouped together, so you quickly learn the lay of the land. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. The Royal Section allows for a private concierge. Our concierge, Nelson, was unbelievable. He made all our reservations in the various restaurants (all-inclusive a la carte), took care of any in-room requests (i.e. extra drinks, towels, etc.) and supplied us with transportation around the resort, when asked. We, ofcourse, tipped him and he was genuinely appreciative.

I think the thing that separates this resort from most other all-inclusives was the quality of the food. There are a number of restaurants and each was excellent. You also could order as
much as your heart desired. There was no 'up-charge' for lobster. For lunch we had the option of a la carte, buffet or the wood-oven pizza restaurant. Outside of Italy, I don't think I've ever had a pizza as good. Dinner was also a culinary adventure. Whole fish, duck breast, mussels, crepes, shrimp, steak, asian - the list is almost endless. And the service matched the food...simply perfect.

The Royal Beach section also had a private pool with swim-up bar. It was immense and held over 600 people. We stayed away from the main pool, which was also humungous and was a little warm for our tastes.

If you read most of the reviews, everyone speaks about Eric Garcia and his great excursions. Well sign us up. We did 2 private excursions; 3-hour ATV and a 8 1/2 hour volcano, waterfall, mudbath, etc. experience. All were according to plan and and very reasonable, We both highly recoommend Eric.

We also did a day trip into Tamarindo (about 20 minutes by cab - $50 round trip) and it reminded us of a Hawaiian surf-side town. Great beach with surfing, nice restaurants and a bit of shopping. We had lunch at the Copacabana on the beach and highly recommend it.

We did 2 other 'off-site' restaurants - Lola's on Flamingo beach - great food and you can run in and out of the water. In Brasilito (5 minute walk from Westin on the beach), there's a restaurant called the Hungry Shrimp. Fabulous seafood - had a great lobster. Prices are reasonable. They will even give you a lift back to the hotel - gratis!

We've been lucky enough to travel quite extensively, especially in the Caribbean and warmer locales. In our opinion, you'd be hard pressed to find a resort as beautiful, well-run, with great food, rooms and service as the Westin Playa Conchal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank czand
NY
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This was the first time my family of four (two teenagers) went to an all inclusive. We have travelled extensively and were a little concerened about being tied down to the resort. Most of the other positive reviews are spot on so I will only add a few things.

Taxi service arranged by the Westin to/from Liberia Airport was $90 each way and took a liitle over an hour on a somewhat sceanic road. Check in was easy and I received the 2 rooms I booked right next to each other ( I sent an email request before departing) in building 31 which I thought was an excellent location within easy walking distance to everything. For a family of 4 with older kids this was a great setup. One room hand a king for mom and dad and the other 2 doubles for the kids. 2 TV's and 2 bathrooms make for smooth sailing. BTW, TV gets a bunch of english language channels including the major networks but ESPN wan in Spanish.

I wasnt expecting much food wise and thats what I got. Nothing was bad, it was all kind of decent. We got the hang of whats better than others after a few meals and just stuck to those items. I regret not venturing out to local places for at least a couple of meals. Its hard to leave when everything is paid for already.

Two of us played golf one morning for $400 which included club rentals. The course was enjoyable but not worth the price. Bring a lot of balls as its pretty easy to loose ball on this course.

We booked one tour with Eric (yes he is very nice) to Palo Verde for the boat ride, monkeys and crocs. It was a nice trip that lasted about 5 hours and we saw plenty of crocs but no monkeys as promised. I know its nature and there are no guarantees but not one monkey! I was envious of all those people who said monkeys were crawling all over thie boat.

The best thing we did as a family was sign up for surfing with Point Break. These guys are fantastic and had us surfing at a beautiful beach in minutes. This is a MUST do if you ever wanted to try surfing.

Pool at the Westin was great, didnt have to deal with getting up early to throw towels down. At 9am there was plenty of good seating still available.

Biggest dissapointment was the beach at the Westin. If you are beach people, I can not reccomend this resort. We had the mysterious red tide while we were there and it stunk. As others have said, there are cars, vendors and not soft sand on this beach.

One last thing to be aware of which I found hard to beleive but is true. At the Liberia airport on the way home, it cost me $58 for 4 slices pizza, 1 small fry and 2 drinks. You have been warned.

This is a beautiful resort which I will journey back to. My best recommendation is try to leave the resort and get out and experience the Country and people.

2 Thank raincheck10
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,994 reviews

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!