Overall, this was a pleasing resort. The highlights are the staff (--very well-trained--they are there to please), the location and the security. The junior suites were spacious and nice.The grounds are beautiful. the beach is fine--a little pebbly and it is public.
The food could use a little improvement. We are vegetarian and the food was not properly labeled. Also, there was a lot of meat in the buffet line which I noticed went, for the most part, hardly touched. Most of the staff did not know whether the food had chicken or beef broth in it. For others, not just us, who have allergies or are looking to reduce their animal fat consumption, this is not acceptable. We would suggest having one interesting vegetarian item each night since the population being served is multicultural. Also, for the vegetables or bean/lentil dishes, there is no need to season it with bacon or animal fat. Serve some soups that are not cream base and are vegetarian.
Poolside massages would be great as well as some sort of snack bar with quick but not sit down food near the pool. There seemed to be an awful lot of carbs--pasta, pizza and bread. It would be nice to have a juice bar or an ice tea juice infusion drink. Poolside chairs seemed old or dirty or just in need of a good cleaning. A salt water pool would be great especially in an eco-friendly country. More recycling containers.
The hotel guests need to be warned about the racoon animals. The Westin needs to clearly state on the room service trays that the room service dishes should not be put outside the doors. The animals break the dishes and go after the food aggressively. People understand living with nature and the hotel needs to be swift about picking up the dirty room service dishes.
More communication is needed upon check-in. Our bill was different than the price that was quoted. we had to show our daughter's departure itinerary from the airline to get her off the bill. The reason was we did not get her bracelet clipped before she left earlier than the rest of us. No one told us. Also, upon check in the hotel should tell the guests that there are on site excursion packages. We were very pleased with the on site excursion tour which was the same price or cheaper than the Pappagayo tour recommended by others. A weekly activities page or booklet should be provided for each room that explains dinner, with menus, and activities available. Spa appointments were tight.
The grounds are pretty, but hard to get around. A lot of walking was needed which is good for us. There are taxis--luggage carts--available but the timing is not always right. The resort is spread out. It needs a good power washing on the pathways and on some of the tile roofs.
Overall it was fine and some of the complaints are nothing to stop me from going back. It can be a great resort and I think for just having opened and reorganizing the staff--they are doing fine.i
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Playa Conchal is an All Inclusive eco-friendly retreat, located between the exotic forests and unspoiled beaches of the North Pacific Riviera of Costa Rica. Our secluded vacation spot is a perfect balance between unrivaled luxury and local culture, giving our guests an unforgettable vacation experience. Our All Inclusive experience includes all meals, drinks, use of our fitness center and kids club as well as entertainment options including non motorized water sports, daily activities and nightly events. The resort also offers an adult only all exclusive experience at the Royal Beach Club where guests have access to a private pool with concierge service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Media 8, Inc., Travelocity, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal Hotel Playa Conchal
- The Westin Resort And Spa, Playa Conchal