All reviews wet deck plunge pool lower pool spectacular ocean view reserva conchal chef roy treehouse suite azul pool blue zone seating options hobbit house feel extra special living room bar beach level beach club top floor platinum member
Selected filters
Reviewed April 28, 2019

We spend 4 days at here and it feel liked you had two weeks holiday.
First of all staff was very super friendly and warm. They make our dream days of paradise wonderful experience.
It tells a lot, when get know staff by name (they did not wear name tags on shirts). Barmasters Hugo, Edy and Carina. Driver Eric. Chef Franco. Receptionist Ana. Waiters Irinda, Jose and many others.
Our room was very pleasant, nice colorful design, Fantastic twin shower with window wall to the nature.
We spend lot of time at the pool and did some activities like snorkeling, canyoning and sub-boarding. All activities were short distance from pool. Nature was beautiful and hotel restaurants were same level with wonderful Costa Rican nature.

We got some flight difficultes, they changed our reservation flexible at same price. Staff was always checking our experience and they kindly and fast helped every needs that we had.

Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

We stayed at the W for 6 nights with our 2 kids, and met up with my sister and her husband. The hotel was magnificent and the service made it even better. Friendly service and everyone was ready to help in any way.
The food was amazing in all the restaurants, even the pool side food was great. The level of detail in the service made us feel completely spoiled. The food at Latitud 10° Norte was to die for.

The hotel is beach front and we felt like we had the whole beach to ourselves. The beach is so clean with white sand and clear water. It’s breath taking.
We never had to wait for chairs at the pool or try to hold seats. We were always able to get a spot by the pool any time of the day.

Everything was clean and new, which we loved. And I really appreciate their efforts to be green and respect for the environment.

We were told this was one of the hottest days of the year but it was dry heat so when you’re wet it actually feels a little cool. We didn’t mind it at all.

Definitely need to bring the bug spray. It wasn’t horrible but we did get bitten.
Would recommend to anyone and definitely plan to go back.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2019 via mobile

We stayed at the W in April and it was truly awesome. Not just the hotel itself which was very stylish , classy and modern and beautiful designed, but what impressed us most was the STAFF. They are so friendly and helpful and fun and go out of their way to make you feel at home. You can feel that all of them enjoy their job and have fun at it and that is making a stay at the W a special experience. I can’t list all the names, but from the Ana at the Welcome desk to ALL the staff at the Wet deck and the lady who mixed the cocktails at the Wet deck to the staff in the restaurants or the spa everybody was very attentively and amazing. Gina the Insider even looked after us when we were already in San Jose. And the little things like cool towels or homemade fruit ice when you are at the pool make such a difference to most other hotels. We stayed at a treehouse and my mother who travelled with us, stayed in one of the towers and both rooms were special, beautifully thought through and a pleasure to stay in, not to mention the cool shower. The view to the ocean in both rooms was terrific as well. There is a pool at the beach, one at the hotel and one at the Spa and we struggled to make up our minds which of the three to go to each time as even though they were all different they were all very nice and relaxing. We ate at all the restaurants and even though the fine-dining Latitude 10 ° north was our favorite we liked all of them. Only con was that the description on the menu rarely described the food properly and it was a mostly a surprise what you would really get, the staff explained if you asked. I am not an early morning person, but our day rhythms completely adapted to the sun times and climate, we got up early when it was less hot and played Golf (at the nearby beautiful golf course) and enjoyed the afternoon at the hotel and early dinner. And it seems most people who stayed there did the same, if you are looking for a party destination this is not the right hotel, but it is lot of fun and the staff organizes nice parties during the day as well. We definitely plan to travel there again, this hotel really is pura vida.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I were at the W from 4/6 - 4/13 and it was an amazing experience! I have read many a review mentioning the great staff and I kind of read over those...BUT....the staff IS great! They learn your name after your initial meeting, they are social, kind and really do go out of their way to ensure you are getting everything and anything you desire....they have “whatever/whenever” which is exactly that, dial 0 and ask away! The property is beautifully maintained but a bit spread out. It was nice we were near the lobby. Everything was spotless, no really. They have 3 pools, the main pool is beautiful and you may even see the howler monkeys lounging in the trees!. The pool by the beach is a small infinity pool that overlooks the ocean, truly an amazing experience. Never went to the spa pool but it looked beautiful. If you are looking for a major party palace this place in not for you. I’ve been there done that. But...they do make things fun and lively if folks are up for it. We had a “fantastic” suite with plunge pool (small but its a plunge pool!) the rooms are modern, whimsical yet classy. Comes stocked and with espresso maker. I would have preferred a coffee maker instead. The shower was very cool! And the lighting in the room was very modern and energy efficient. Most views from the rooms are of the ocean with unobstructed views. The ONLY con is the limited choices at the restaurants. The food is good just not many choices. The servers at the restaurants are top notch! I had a bad cough during my trip and on 2 occasions, unprompted our server whipped me up a special tea...no charge. Thats just how they are! I highly recommend the W and we have full intentions of visiting them again...maybe not in April when it is so hot! A special shout out to a special individuals that you may want to seek out: Ana (welcome desk), Gina, The amazing Johnathon (beverage Mgr.), Diego and Rayna at the pool and ALL the guys at valet who give rides to the beach, all super friendly and truly give 100% everyday. Pura Vida and book this place!!

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2019

This newly opened hotel is beautifully designed. When the new landscaping ages it will be more lush and tropical feeling, but the architecture of the hotel is really special. The two pools are unique and each have their assets. One is up high on the hill overlooking the ocean and is very open to lots of sunshine. The pool by the beach is more shaded and really tranquil in its natural beauty. Loved sitting in the pool and watching the iguanas and birds in the trees! The rooms were terrific, spacious and colorful in a fun way. Large bathrooms which was great traveling as a family. Loved the balcony off the rooms! My only complaint with the property is that while the W playlist can be fun sitting by the pool, I was very annoyed when I went on the balcony early morning or middle of the night to listen to nature and instead heard the pounding beat of the music coming from the lobby area of the hotel. This is a place to enjoy nature, so at some point they should turn the music off or down at night. Also, on the negative side, the hotel is completely remote! Unless you have a car, and I recommend having one if you stay here, you are stuck. It was $80 each way via taxi to Tamarindo and for that reason we stayed at the hotel. The food at the hotel is hit or miss and the chefs really need to iron out some kinks. Lobster tacos were okay by the pool but not much flavor. I'd love to see more fish on the menu and more locally inspired foods, so I feel like I'm in Central America and not in New Jersey! The fine dining restaurant was so pricey and the food really just didn't match the price of the meal. Very disappointing. Zona Azul restaurant was good and we ate dinner here 2 times and lunch once or twice. Although one or two things were so-so. Pool attendants are so eager to please and very wonderful. We applaud the friendly staff! Spa is very pretty inside! I recommend this hotel but do rent a car while in the area!

Room tip: Get a balcony and ask to be in one of the buildings closer to main lobby area!
  • Trip type: Traveled with family