“The Historic stop-over with excellent service and a great POOL!”
Review of Hotel El Bramadero

Hotel El Bramadero
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Liberia
Toronto, Canada
“The Historic stop-over with excellent service and a great POOL!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Recently on my way to and from San Jose I stayed here.....two nights on the first go and one night for my return to Playa Negra. When I came back on the second run the staff were happy to see me, the owners saying to the staff that whatever I needed, please take care of me.

I like that.

The Hotel Bramadero has some interesting history behind it given that it was started 60 years ago as a rest stop, the last rest stop before the border crossing. For me, on this trip anyway, I needed a place to stay where I could rest.

I was given a room with a large bed, well-appointed bathroom (with one of those cool bowl sinks) and excellent HOT WATER. When one has been living in the boonies for awhile hot water is wonderful to have. And yes, they have air conditioning.

I slept peacefully. My only complaint would be the smallish TV.....too small of a screen for me to see well....maybe one day they will upgrade to LCD screens. AT the time of my stay they were experiencing net issues but that is to be expected down here.....so don't complain about it and instead just piggy-back off of Rotten Ronnie's unsecured net access next door.

The restaurant which fronts the hotel is a welcoming place with great service and wonderful food.....many of the tour buses stop here and the establishment does not mind folks taking up space waiting for the Tica or TransNIca buses going north.

One of their specialties is Parilla (grilled meats) and given the well-heeled locals that pop in for nosh that oughtta tell you something about this place.

Oh, and the pool, NICE......very nice indeed.

For $45 a night one cannot go wrong....cheaper than the BEst Western down the road and you would be supporting a long-standing "Tico" business.

Room Tip: If you need peace and quiet, let the front desk know. If you need laundry done they will do it for...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank RoZeeGee
Lali O, Gerente at Hotel El Bramadero, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you had a good time with us. Hope to have you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Czech first
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am a Costarican and "El Bramadero" is a very good place to stay the location is great (In the middle of Liberia near to every place you want to go) I went there when I was little and it was in a bad shape but they have make everything better new beds new rooms net bathrooms new windows all the other reviews are before the remodelations so listen to these review great hotel great place great food (great great food) Thanks for reading.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Mauricio1212
Lali O, Director de Recepción at Hotel El Bramadero, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thanks for your comment Mauricio. You are right, our rooms are remodeled and we work on getting better everyday, trying to keep the essence of our place. We hope to have you back soon !
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I have stayed here often while traveling for work around Guanacaste. The location can't be beat. The bus stops or bus stations to anywhere you would want to go are within walking distance from the hotel. After wandering around hot and sweaty Guanacaste for a while it is also nice to have an ok bed and A/C. However, the rooms are about $10 overpriced. The food at the hotel is very good, but also very expensive. Walk down the road to the central park and you'll pay half as much for a meal. Also, be sure to check your windows once you get a room. For some reason there seems to be several windows with the locks broken off in the rooms. Staff are very nice, and although there are some issues, the hotel isn't a bad place.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank k c
Moline, Illinois
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed here on our first night into Liberia and were given a room other than the one we were promised because they said they were full and we got the last room. I dont know if that is why we were given such a dirty, flop house of a room, but it wasnt a very nice room. It was more expensive than the Boyeros (which we stayed at on the last night of our vacation and found it to be very adequate) and not nearly as nice. I wouldnt stay here again and I've traveled to Costa Rica many times.

Room Tip: Dont take room #18
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bjpkzp

Travelers are raving about these Liberia hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Arrived late from the airport, staying across the street, but walked over for dinner.
I think we had the lomito and the churrasco. Medium rare. Simple yet superb presentation of perfectly grilled delicious Costa Rican beef.
Service was extremely swift and professional (there was only one other table seated, but it was quite late, around 9:30pm). Great price.
Can't wait to do it again...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We only stayed one night on our way from Nicaragua to other destinations in Costa Rica but this was a good place for a stopover. It's a very convenient location with restaurants, banks, shops and a good grocery store across the road. There's also American fast food (McDonalds, Burger King, Papa Johns, Subway) within a couple minutes walk. Our room was very clean - small but just fine for the night. We had a room towards the back of the property and had absolutely no problem with noise from the street. The pool was clean, wifi worked well and there were lots of TV channels. Dinner and breakfast at the hotel were very good and reasonably priced. Many locals eating there which is always a positive sign. We would stay here again if passing through Liberia.

Room Tip: choose a room towards the back of hotel to avoid noise from street
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank SawmillGolfTeam
Pleasant View, Tennessee
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We made this hotel in Liberia our “headquarters” for a few days, going out from Liberia to see several parks in this part of the country. The staff was friendly and helpful and the place was clean. The complaints some made about the rooms or pool not being clean seemed totally unjustified during the time we were there. The restaurant was convenient and had good food. Someone commented about the showers, but almost every place we stayed in Costa Rica was the same way, with the water oscillating back and forth between “too warm” and “too cool” as it passed its way through “just right”. The hotel was convenient to banks and supermarkets (and fast food places). It is located on a busy street and so is not in a scenic locality, but we went elsewhere on day trips for the scenery.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family