Stopped over here on a road trip from the beaches to La Fortuna. Looked okay, nice pool, signed in and headed out to the town. Returned later and then started to notice a few things. No ice machine on the property. Pillow cases were filthy ... black smudges on ALL of them. Air conditioner was very loud, but I didn't worry about this since we usually just use the ceiling fan during the night. Ceiling fan didn't work.
I should have left the a/c on, the noise would have muffled the noise from the room next door. The adjoining doors had a huge gap between the door and the floor... could hear everything over there ... toilet flushing, shower going, bed rattling....
Finally got around to having a shower. No hot water, just a bit warmer than cool. Called the front desk, and they sent in a maintenance man. He stuck his hand under the tap and said that the water was hot. No, that's not hot water I said. It's what you get he said.
Morning and time to pay up and head out. We had one other couple in front of us checking out, and they were complaining about the bill. We joined the chorus as well, when we saw ours. The $75 all in was suddenly plus tax etc. If we paid with a travellers check there was a surcharge. If we paid with colones there was a surcharge. By the time we worked out the differences and paid and got our stuff into the car, there was a lineup of people complaining. The joke was circulating that this was the deception desk instead of the reception desk. Poor girls running the desk were taking all the flack for the company policies. Learned later that this is pretty standard with the Best Western chains in CR. Breakfast was included and served in an area that wasn't connected to the main restaurant. Scrambled eggs and hot dogs. A skimpy selection of fruit and some cold cereals. Coffee and juice and some toast. Better than nothing. The first table we sat down at was totally infested with ants. Second table we had to ourselves.
The pool was large and clean, water was cooler than average which made it very refreshing. Restaurant on site was darn good, beer was cheap and cold, food was inexpensive and tasty. Would have rated the hotel terrible if it wasn't for the restaurant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino offers 52 standard rooms, complete with 2 queen-size beds, air conditioning, cable tv, coffe maker, hot water showers, hair dryer, safe box and closet. Our hotel site is beautifully landscaped with jungle flora surrounding two shimmering pools... One for adults, one for children. We also have tennis courts, a gymnasium and play areas for kids. In addition, we have facilities for meetings and events with capacity for 300 guests.Located in Liberia, capital city of the Guanacaste region, Best Western El Sitio stands adjacent to the Panamerican Highway, just 30 minutes from the beautiful tropical beaches of the Pacific. Visitors have easy access to a myriad of activities including surfing, sailing, fishing and SCUBA... And close proximity (25 minutes by car) to Costa Rica s national parks with waterfalls, bike trails, capony tours and more ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western El Sitio Hotel And Casino
- Best Western El Sitio Hotel Liberia
- Best Western Liberia
- Liberia Best Western
- Best Western El Sitio Hotel & Casino Costa Rica/Liberia