“Average price, average stay”
Review of Las Espuelas Hotel

Las Espuelas Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Liberia
Toronto, Canada
“Average price, average stay”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on the way out of Costa Rica after our holiday. To be fair this review is going to be biased by a previous hotel stay in San Jose that was so wonderful, this BW was like coming back to reality.

It's an average stay, rooms are older, beds are old, big hard pillows and you just feel like you don't want to put your things on the surfaces - not that it was dirty, it just showed its age. Ok shower but again aged. The best thing going for it is the pool which was great and relaxing. The breakfast was standard fare- eggs, cereal, fruit, gallo pinto, salami, cheese and toast. The reception staff was friendly and efficient.

In terms of location, it's 2km to downtown Liberia along a busy highway so walking especially at night is not the safest option. It cost about 2,000 colones ($4) to go with a taxi to town.The airport cost $20.

Not sure I would return just because I would want something newer and closer to town.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Martina S, Front Office Manager at Las Espuelas Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Mr.Ciru,

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry if your experience was not impeccable.
Our hotel is more than 30years old but we work very hard to keep it efficient; Only 1 month ago we renewed the pool and we're refurnishing all the rooms, we have brand new beds, mattress and sheets, I'm sure for your next stays you will appreciate them!

I sincerely hope to welcome you back
Warm regards

Martina Sacchi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our family of 5 shared 2 adjoining rooms, and we enjoyed our stay very much. The rooms were spacious and clean, with comfortable beds and air conditioning. The service was very friendly. We loved the beautiful outdoor pool, and the generous free breakfast was perfect for our crew. We appreciated the proximity to Liberia and the cinema in the nearby mall. We will come stay again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Erica R
Dear Ms.Erica,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am happy to hear that your stay was perfect and I have already shared your kind words with all the staff.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back very soon.
Warmest regards,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We came to this hotel with a wedding in progress -- blaring loudspeakers, bad music, so loud all you could hear was thumping in the room. It felt as though you were plopped in the navel of a really bad Latin club. They said that the music would stop at 10 or 10:30 pm (!). They lit super-loud firecrackers (should not have been allowed). I complained at 10:40 (a man Named Noel at the front desk said it would be 10 more minutes). It did not end till 11 pm at night, and only after my threats to write a letter of complaint to Best Western. This was badly managed, and completely unfair to all the other guests as the hotel. The manager didn't bother to come and speak to me afterward. Get this: then they began dismantling the tent (could be heard well after 1 am). Super-stressful beginning to my trip. Far enough away from the airport to be a $20 cab ride, and another $20 cab ride to the rental cars.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank O M
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for writing us about your recent stay at our property.

Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. I'm sorry to ear that you've been so disappointed from your stay due to the wedding that we host in the gardens, I truly apologize. We're already organizing better next weddings and make them finish no later than 10pm to guarantee a nice rest to our guests; at least you have lived a truly tico experience!
We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me

Martina Sacchi

Travelers are raving about these Liberia hotels

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I enjoyed this hotel for a one night stay on the way to Tegucigalpa. Service was friendly and warm and all questions pertaining to Liberia and the route were handled well. Security is excellent. The rooms are semi-quiet, but still you are able to hear through the walls with ease.

Hotel is clean and comfortable and priced right.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr.Baird,

Thank you for sharing this review about your recent stay at Hotel Las Espuelas and for your kind comments.We truly wish to welcome you soon

Kind regards

Missisauga, Ontario
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The hotel is close to Liberia airport, has beautiful grounds and a pool. We stayed 4 nights at this hotel.There are a lot of trees and flowers all around.Free WIFI and excellent internet connection.I had sent an email to the Hotel regarding transportation from the airport.I received a quick response from Maureen. We really appreciated Maureen's assistance and she was the only bilngual person at the Hotel. She provided us tips to different tours, and recommendations on beaches.She was very quick to call various personnel for our day tours, interpreted with the kitchen staff as to our needs.
Maureen, thank you so much!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shobc
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to write this nice review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and in particular our employee Maureen.

We sincerely hope to see you again soon

Best regards

Playa Potrero, Costa Rica
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here to catch an early morning flight. We found the hotel, though the sign was not lighted. We got our key, and drove out for dinner. Upon our return, we went to our room. As we opened the door, I heard the tv, and the lights wer on. Imagine our surprise, as well as the rooms other guest, who was in bed! How did that happen! Anyway, after getting another room, it was comfortable, but there was no toilet paper, and I the morning, I discovered there was no soap or shampoo either. Luckily, having done much traveling in Costa Rica, I was prepared, but this room cost 60 dollars! I am pretty sure the person I startled as I entered their room would also give this hotel a bad review!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LeslieMcCain
Martina S, Front Office Manager at Las Espuelas Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Ms.McCain,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am sorry about your latest experience at the Hotel Las Espuelas and please be assured that this is certainly not representative of the usual service we provide to our guests. Please rest assured we are taking this matter seriously in order to improve our service.
We hope to have the privilege to welcome you back at the Hotel in the future.

Best regards,

Goes, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The hotel is nicely located, close to the main road, beautiful grounds, seperate hotel blocks, a huge pool with nice chairs and trees/flowers around. The room is okay, basic furniture, large tv-screen, good hot water and excellent internet connection at all rooms/pool. Breakfast is nothing to write home about but sufficient and with fresh fruits and juices and good coffee, buffet. All in all a good price/quality (we only paid 55 USD including taxes and breakfast for 3 persons).

Room Tip: If you want a room away from the highway choose 30 and above.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnLindhout
Martina S, Front Office Manager at Las Espuelas Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guests,
thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us and for chosing Hotel Las Espuelas for your stay in Liberia.
I’m glad you’ve enoijed your stay, our hotel was proudly estableshed 50 years ago but as you could see we take care of the maintenance of rooms and public aereas, we’re also proceeding with the renewal of the hotel in order to offer functional and modern rooms.

I hope to have you again soon as our guest

Warm regards