WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Super Cute, Good Price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa de Papel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Liberia
Casa de Papel
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Liberia
Merced, California
“Super Cute, Good Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

My favorite part about this hotel is the outside - the entire building is covered in old Costa Rican newspaper articles. It's really beautiful and fun to look at! As for the hotel, the prices are good and the service is great. The staff is friendly and able to speak English if needed. The rooms are a little small, but I felt that it was very fair for the price.
Our room didn't have air conditioning or even a fan, so this was my biggest complaint because it was HOT. Luckily, I was able to borrow a fan from Instituto Estelar Bilingue, an English / Spanish school that is directly across the street.
Inside the hotel, there is a small pool that is really pretty and surrounded by greenery and hammocks - a very relaxing place to be.
Overall, I enjoyed my experience with this hotel and I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharai K

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fort Collins, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Nice historic home with easy to find location,but disappointing in most other ways. Room was stuffy even with the A/C. Futon mattress on a platform. Pool was a bit cloudy and uninviting, but the setting was beautiful with lots of greenery and a large covered living space nearby. Breakfast was flavorless, dry scrambled eggs with dry toast, no butter or jam offered. Coffee was good, no juice or water offered.
Keep in mind this city has very few street signs.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Malaga, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I needed a budget place where to spend the night in Liberia before our departure to Europe. This place is a piece of art, beautifully decorated in a retro style. I loved the patio where guests could relax by the pool. The location is ideal: just a short walk the centre, and bus stop to the airport, although one of the staff offered us a lift in his car to the bus stop. Giovanni, the young receptionist, has been extremely nice and helpful.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

While I didn't actually end up staying overnight in Casa de Papel, I feel the need to express my gratitude to Geovany, who was on night duty and assisted me far above the call of duty. I arrived from the airport to Casa de Papel around 10pm to find it was fully booked (there was an issue with my reservation which was really nobody's fault, just sheer dumb luck). The house, by the way, looked wonderful. Although I was stranded, Geovany did everything in his power to help me find a new place, calling up other hotels and trying to negotiate discounts for me - he even personally accompanied me to a couple down the street to make sure I was safe, and offered to set me up with a bed in the office if I couldn't get settled elsewhere. In the end he found me a comparable hotel and I'm very grateful for his assistance, I will certainly stay here on my next visit to Liberia!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank julia c
SARATOGA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I loved the authenticity of this very original home of an era ago. Much of the architecture and interior design including furnishings and decor have been kept intact, so it was quite an experience to be in it. The very large bathrooms (we stayed in two different rooms during our stay), however, have had minor repairs (exposed pipes and tile work) that were done rather poorly - which was such a shame. The property has private enclosed parking behind the house and that was a plus for us. It's also in the center of the old (architecture) town with restaurants within short walking distance.

The inn keeper, Vladimir (Jose), was kind and responsive. When we told him our needing to leave by 5:30AM, he was quick to offer making us breakfast by 5.

Room Tip: The front street can get noisy in the morning due to car traffic.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JANE L
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Was just passing on the way to a museum and stumbled across this amazing building. Definitely on the list to stay here next time. Great atmosphere with a lovely pool. Was told that if you have lunch there, you can stay and use the facilities. Staff was very nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

I arrived in Liberia at 11pm on a Sunday night and wandered town for 30 minutes because all the other places nearby were full. When I finally found this place it was a relief that the young man who managed it spoke some English and was very friendly. The room was well priced at 25 for one person or 30 for two and it came with wifi, an air conditioner and breakfast of eggs, toast and fresh fruit. I met the owner the next morning who spoke fluent English and was extremely helpful in helping us plan a few things to do. One thing I'll always remember is when I asked him "is this your house?" he responded with "and yours". Both he and his staff definitely made us feel that way. We ended up deciding to rent a car and he used his connections to get us a rate over 30% cheaper than it was when I called them earlier. We were able to park the car inside his compound so we didn't have to worry about theft or damage. The location of the place is very central and easy to find. I can't recommend this place any higher - it was a great way to start my Costa Rica experience.

• Stayed December 2013