“Great Space, Gracious Host” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa de Papel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Liberia
Casa de Papel
You added Casa de Papel to your Saves list
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Liberia
San Francisco, California
“Great Space, Gracious Host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I very much enjoyed my stay at la Casa de Papel. I walked around the central square of Liberia and after looking at a number of options, I was attracted by its cool facade covered in old newsprint. When I entered they had a very gracious staff and they showed me around. My room was very cheap, only $20, and had a ceiling fan, standing fan, and lots of space.

Their common area is great! They have satellite TV with many English as well as Spanish channels. They have free WiFi. The furniture is comfortable and is old school "hacienda" style. They also have a wonderful pool for cooling off in with a few laps.

The owner is well educated, has a college degree from the US, and speaks English fluently. I am a big guy and broke the bed in the middle of the night and was immediately switched to a new one. He was apologetic and helped me feel comfortable and limit my "verguenza."

My breakfast the next morning was hearty and delicious. Gallo pinto, eggs, fruit, coffee and refresco.

The hotel is also very well located. Just two blocks off from the main square, it is easily accessible by bus or cab and is surrounded by a number of fun places to eat and drink (Café Liberia, sopas, chinese, a gelato shop and bars).

I met a woman from Spain and two well to do families from Costa Rica. It seems to be a favored option for comfort and relaxation at the right price! The owner (who lives here) kept telling me that this was my house, and I felt like it. I highly recommend you stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank SFNative88

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

What a wonderful stay we had at Casa the Papel, the room was basic but the hotel itself has a great value for the money we paid, breakfest include. The commun area is big, old school stuffs from the 50'-80', a check board for playing, and a nice POOL for cooling you down a bit! On our arrival we wanted to do some laundry and they let us use their washing machine, it was very appreciate. Liberia is a nice city to walk around, not like the crowdy Cartago or San Jose! The breakest could be better, we were a bit deceived because they have a very well-equiped kitchen, I mean for costaricain owner, and the breakfest was straight egg, 2 toast with basic fruit. We were expecting something more exotic! In Overall: a great stay nonetheless!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Guyl101
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

At the last minute, my son, his girlfriend and I decided to go to Liberia for the local Festival. There was only one chance... LA CASA DE PAPEL a small B&B in the Calle Real, a cultural and historic site 2 blocks away from the Central Park in Liberia, Guanacaste.

Since we called, Sirleny, the recptionist was very kind, she patiently explained to me that the only 2 rooms left were very simple, no AC, no TV and only one would have a private bathroom. despite the doubt, we took it!

This is something we will never regret because the place is very comfortable and even with no AC the roofs are so high that just a fan is enough to help distress from the heat. The living room is well furnished, the terrace is magnificent and the swimming pool is the cherry on top!

The next morning, a delightful breakfast was served: coffee or tea, bread, eggs and fruit, more than enough for the $30 we paid! we decided to name CASA DE PAPEL our home in Liberia. From now on, we will stay with Sirleny and Giovanni every time we visit Liberia. THANK YOU!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This is basically an old house, situated on a side street of Liberia. It is a nice place if you want to get a "town history and feeling" rooms are equipped with A/C, fans, TV , cable, Wifi.

I paid $70 for a big room that shares a bathroom with another room, this was not entioned to me prior to getting the baggage down from my car.

The air conditioner is a small 12k BTU unit for a 24m2 room with a really high roof. It took forever to cool down. TV was around 15 years old and small.

The lobby is nice, but considering the arid and hot Liberiia climate, you need a fan next to you.

The pool and jacuzzi are very convinient, nice garden area all around.

This is I guess, something very typical we have seen in Costa Rica, they charge a lot for something that did not take much investment.

The place has potential for a really nice boutique-antique pensione.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We spent a day in Liberia in May and stayed at the Casa de Papal. It was a great place to stay. Our room was comfortable and had everything that we needed. The staff's command of English was marginally better than our Spanish but we managed. The pool was lovely and the outdoor courtyard was exactly what we needed after a day of wandering through Liberia.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gambol17
Manuel Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Its a great little place to stay, our room #3 was great, had A/C, TV, hot water fan and hot water. The place has free FAST WiFi, nice pool with Jacuzzi, really nice lounge area where to read, check mails etc, very save parking, and breakfast was good too! I do agree with other posts here, maybe a little overpriced but, as we did, maybe after asking for a better deal you could be surpriced. Here is their contact info I hope in helps others as I couldnt find it: (506)2666-0626 E-mail posadadelacallereal@gmail.com

Additional notes:

If you are planning to visit Rincon de la Vieja and/or Santa Rosa this is a great option, not many places to stay neared to both parks, and the few there are very pricey. Casa de papel (AKA Posada de la calle real) is just 200m from the central park in Liberia, 600m from interamerican route. We made it in 1hr to Rincon and 40 min to Santa Rosa in a small automobile.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank looking4nature
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights. Huge, clean room, but overpriced for a shared bathroom (with one other room). Great location and breakfast. Staff not overly friendly, but satisfactory.

• Stayed April 2012