Hospedaje Dodero
$53
$50
$60
  • Pool
Congos Hostel Liberia(Liberia)(Great Value!)
$25
Villa Hermosa(Liberia)(Great Value!)
Hostal Nanku(Liberia)(Great Value!)
All reviewsoutdoor kitchenthe busother travelersshared kitchenprivate roomcosta ricanice gardencommunal areasa great place to meetring the bellensuite bathroommaxi paliplace is cleangarden areanoisy streetplace to staygrocery store
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place was one of the best places we stayed in all of Central America. Everything was on point, clean full kitchen, rooms tidy, prices were fine. The best part was the hosts were so knowledgable and told our group everything about everywhere we wanted to go. I can't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Greeted at the door by Shawn, and quickly met Jesus. Both these guys are super nice and accommodating as is the entire staff. The hostel itself is extremely clean, comfortable, attractive, SAFE, and enjoyable. The rear courtyard and kitchen area is GREAT... You can whip up some food, or sit back enjoy the landscape and listen to the birds. Their location is easily found, and really convenient to everything there is in Liberia, and really 2 minutes to bus station. They offered me a range of tours and adventures at very reasonable prices, and transportation to the airport. I have stayed in large resorts or hotels in Costa Rica, but never felt as much at easy and relaxed as I did here at Hospedaje Dodero I will defiantly return here soon, the place and the people here are a 10 in my book !!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. Liberia town is not very special... The nacional parc Rico Vieja is beautifull. The hostal arranged the ride to and from the parc. We really liked the hostal because the rooms are clean and comfortabel for a good price. It was very nice they had an outdoor kitchen and BBQ. Overall a very good hostal!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hostel is one of my favorites worldwide because of the atmosphere.
It was very clean and friendly.
It was very convenient to have airport pickup and a 2 minute walk to the bus station as well as a few minutes to the grocery store and market.
I stayed here more than once while backpacking around Costa Rica.
There is a little backyard social area with a covered kitchen, which is the best part of he hostel - the few guests and owners cooking together and chatting in the evenings.
I also did a waterfall tour through the hostel more than once and would definitely do it again, makes for a really amazing day and they show you places most others won't/don't know about.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were at the end of a 6 months in Central America and I was a little bit sick when we arrived there. We always take places where we can cook. With 3 kids that we home school at the same time, we stay more than 8 hours in a row in the hotels. The 2 owners really wanted us to leave all day long. The latino one was standing beside us, waiting for us to leave, but we were cooking lunch. He always add some other things that we visit and tells us things like : " Usually people can visit 3 waterfalls in the same day, but for that you should go NOW". Yes the hotel is secure, you have to ask to come in and out and they unlock the door. When you come back at 2 pm, thay are so disapointed : " ALREADY???".
We reserved a room with a private bathroom, and paid for it, but there is only a shower, no toilet.
They sell some tour that you can do with them. So they tell you how amazing are the places they can take you at, but they cannot tell you how to go with your car, it is too complicated, you won't find it.
We visited many countries, many places, hotels in north and central america for a total of one year on the road. This place is the worst we have visited.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank IsabellePage
HospedajeDodero, Owner at Hospedaje Dodero, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I must agree that your visit was a very uncomfortable, confusing and troubling experience. This began with confusion about which types of rooms you reserved and how many beds you reserved. While you had 5 members in your family, you only reserved 4 beds. Your explanation was that the youngest child would sleep in the same bed with you. Next, you stated that you had reserved two air conditioned rooms but, after I showed you your online reservations, you agreed you must have been confused. Next, you asked if i could rearrange other guests so that you could have an air conditioned room so that you could be more comfortable due to your illness. We accommodated you on all counts.

Once we had the rooms in order, we began an orientation to explain where markets, banks, etc are in the city and how to access attractions outside of the city such beaches, waterfalls, rivers and national parks. Since you had your own vehicle, we drew you several maps to find these attractions but it is true you were told a few places are complicated to find. This was not a ploy to sell you a tour (we never suggested a tour to you or provided pricing since you had your own car). This was simply experienced advice due to previous guests getting lost for hours trying to find the more remote attractions.

I can only assume your concern that you were constantly being rushed out of the hostel was due to language barriers. Repeatedly, you asked us when is the best time to go to the waterfalls and rivers and, repeatedly, we answered that the best time was in the morning due to occasional rain in the afternoon. You stated that your children needed to do their reading and studying in the mornings so you attempted to go one afternoon but returned almost immediately due to rain. You seemed very disappointed and next morning you wanted to try again. You were again reminded to go early. I am sorry if you interpreted this as rushing you out. We were simply providing the information you requested which was how to get to these places and the best time to go.

The final point of confusion is that you asked to stay one additional day beyond your initial reservation although you considered our hostel the worst place you stayed in a year of traveling through north and Central America. I have done the best I can to respond to this troubling review by simply stating the facts as I recall them. I apologize if you felt we did not meet your expectations and sincerely hope you find accommodations that meet your particular tastes in the future. Happy travels.