“Amazing place to stay!”

Hospedaje Dodero
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing place to stay!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hostel is one of my favorites worldwide because of the atmosphere.
It was very clean and friendly.
It was very convenient to have airport pickup and a 2 minute walk to the bus station as well as a few minutes to the grocery store and market.
I stayed here more than once while backpacking around Costa Rica.
There is a little backyard social area with a covered kitchen, which is the best part of he hostel - the few guests and owners cooking together and chatting in the evenings.
I also did a waterfall tour through the hostel more than once and would definitely do it again, makes for a really amazing day and they show you places most others won't/don't know about.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Sainte-Marie
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were at the end of a 6 months in Central America and I was a little bit sick when we arrived there. We always take places where we can cook. With 3 kids that we home school at the same time, we stay more than 8 hours in a row in the hotels. The 2 owners really wanted us to leave all day long. The latino one was standing beside us, waiting for us to leave, but we were cooking lunch. He always add some other things that we visit and tells us things like : " Usually people can visit 3 waterfalls in the same day, but for that you should go NOW". Yes the hotel is secure, you have to ask to come in and out and they unlock the door. When you come back at 2 pm, thay are so disapointed : " ALREADY???".
We reserved a room with a private bathroom, and paid for it, but there is only a shower, no toilet.
They sell some tour that you can do with them. So they tell you how amazing are the places they can take you at, but they cannot tell you how to go with your car, it is too complicated, you won't find it.
We visited many countries, many places, hotels in north and central america for a total of one year on the road. This place is the worst we have visited.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank IsabellePage
HospedajeDodero, Owner at Hospedaje Dodero, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I must agree that your visit was a very uncomfortable, confusing and troubling experience. This began with confusion about which types of rooms you reserved and how many beds you reserved. While you had 5 members in your family, you only reserved 4 beds. Your explanation was that the youngest child would sleep in the same bed with you. Next, you stated that you had reserved two air conditioned rooms but, after I showed you your online reservations, you agreed you must have been confused. Next, you asked if i could rearrange other guests so that you could have an air conditioned room so that you could be more comfortable due to your illness. We accommodated you on all counts.

Once we had the rooms in order, we began an orientation to explain where markets, banks, etc are in the city and how to access attractions outside of the city such beaches, waterfalls, rivers and national parks. Since you had your own vehicle, we drew you several maps to find these attractions but it is true you were told a few places are complicated to find. This was not a ploy to sell you a tour (we never suggested a tour to you or provided pricing since you had your own car). This was simply experienced advice due to previous guests getting lost for hours trying to find the more remote attractions.

I can only assume your concern that you were constantly being rushed out of the hostel was due to language barriers. Repeatedly, you asked us when is the best time to go to the waterfalls and rivers and, repeatedly, we answered that the best time was in the morning due to occasional rain in the afternoon. You stated that your children needed to do their reading and studying in the mornings so you attempted to go one afternoon but returned almost immediately due to rain. You seemed very disappointed and next morning you wanted to try again. You were again reminded to go early. I am sorry if you interpreted this as rushing you out. We were simply providing the information you requested which was how to get to these places and the best time to go.

The final point of confusion is that you asked to stay one additional day beyond your initial reservation although you considered our hostel the worst place you stayed in a year of traveling through north and Central America. I have done the best I can to respond to this troubling review by simply stating the facts as I recall them. I apologize if you felt we did not meet your expectations and sincerely hope you find accommodations that meet your particular tastes in the future. Happy travels.
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

When I flew in from Liberia I had arranged for transportation from the hostel. Shawn was at the airport waiting with a sign and my name on it. It was very convenient to have transportation, although the cost was very pricey and I am sure even a taxi would have been cheaper.

The hostel itsself was very basic, but just what I expected for my first night. There were two beds, a fan, and one outlet in the room. It was, like i said, basic. The bathrooms were pretty well kept and fairly clean.

The hostel had a table in the back where guests could socialize which was very nice. The owners also took some time to socialize.

The only bad customer service was dealing with the security. It felt very safe to have the owners let you in and out whenever neede. However on the morning of our departure, we wanted to get up early to catch the first bus out of town but the owners had not woke up yet and therefore, we were locked in the hostel waiting for about an hour and a half.

Overall, the hostel was a good price for the room, a steep price for transportation, a great atmosphere for socializing, and a frustrating experience for security gates.

• Stayed May 2013
HospedajeDodero, Owner at Hospedaje Dodero, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It's the best way we have to see what we are doing right, what we can improve and explain any misunderstandings.

We are so happy you enjoyed the cleanliness and friendly atmosphere of the hostel. While the accommodations are kept basic to keep the prices low, we try to maintain the essential qualities of a great hostel; location, cleanliness, security, comfort and affordability.

We are concerned about the confusion regarding security and airport transportation. For security, the gate remains locked and only staff can permit guests to enter and exit but reception is 24 hours and there is no curfew. We regularly have guests arrive late in the night and depart very early in the morning so a guest can ring the bell to enter or exit at any hour. We apologize that you felt you had to wait until you saw a staff member in the morning to depart. As for private airport transport, we feel the price we offer this service for is very competitive. For transport from the airport to Liberia, our competition charges $25 and a taxi charges a flat $20 while we only charge $18.

Happy travels and keep those reviews coming!
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights in the ac room and we really enjoyed our stay. It is a really clean and nice place. Also very safe: The front gate is always locked and you always have to ring the bell to get in and out. There is a kitchen in the garden, which is also very clean. The owners are both nice and helpfull, they can give you lots of advice. The supermarket and the busterminal are only one block away.

• Stayed June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Hospedaje Dodero is definitely a decent lodging option in Liberia, where the options are scare, but I have to say that it is not as nice as some of the older TripAdvisor reviews have made it seem. Here´s my rundown from our three-night stay on the property:

ROOMS: The room we stayed in was clean and had an average amount of space but no storage capacity for luggage/clothing such as a dresser. There was a small place to hang clothes, but only two hangers. The air-conditioning unit that our room was equipped with was quite powerful, and we did have a working cable TV (which we, of course, didn´t use much). The biggest problem with the rooms here are the exceptionally thin walls. The person next door to us was evidently watching a horror movie, and we (sadly) heard every bit of it. The manager and some people who seem to be "regulars" also gather around a little table in a grassy area outside the rooms and chat over beers. We could hear bits and parts of their conversations, though they were in no way rude, nor did they continue late into the evening. The other problem is the mattresses, which were quite basic and which I found it very hard to be comfortable sleeping on. Finally, the room only had ONE OUTLET (two plugs) in the entire space and it was not anywhere near the beds, making it hard to connect a phone for charging during the night, for example.

AMENITIES: THE SHOWERS DO NOT HAVE WARM WATER. (For me, this is a big pet peeve.) Both bathrooms and the property are clean, however. There is wi-fi, but it is quite slow. There is a kitchen, but it is outside and really quite basic-nothing I would want to have to use to cook in.

SERVICE: Excellent. The manager was extremely helpful, as were staff, in terms of getting us situated in our room, helping us plan our time in Liberia and Rincón de la Vieja, and providing us with lots of "insider tips" that you would not glean from a guidebook. The hotel also provides a small range of tours and arranged transportation for us at a reasonable price to Rincón de la Vieja National Park. The room was exactly what we had requested, and the information they had provided us with previously on the phone was completely accurate.

LOCATION: Average. On the one hand, it is right near both of the bus stops in town (within three blocks) and near a major supermarket. On the other hand, it is fairly far outside the center of Liberia, which puts it in an area that is not the safest in the town at night. Still, the property itself is exceptionally safe. (You have to be let in by staff every single time you either want to enter OR leave the property, which can become slightly irritating in fact.)

VALUE: Excellent. For about $13 per night for a room with air conditioning, you are definitely getting your money´s worth here.

Overall, this is a hostel that is doing a lot of things right, but just doesn´t seem to truly understand what a backpacking traveler needs. Small inconveniences like no outlets by the bed seem minor, but when there are enough of them, they really add up. I would definitely not say to AVOID Hospedaje Dodero, but just be aware that, for the great prices they offer, you are going to get a decent (but not GREAT) experience.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, I highly recommend paying the extra few bucks per night and getting t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
HospedajeDodero, Owner at Hospedaje Dodero, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry you felt we were lacking in some areas but are happy your overall experience with us was a good one. We, my staff and I, take great pride in our positive reviews and like to do what we can to give each traveler a good experience.

I would like to address some of your concerns:

It did not occur to me that we needed additional outlets in some of the rooms but now that you have pointed it out, I see the need so travelers can keep their electronics charged up and ready for use. Most of the rooms have two outlets (4 plugins) but some, like the one you were in, only has the one. We can easily remedy that!

Our kitchen is outdoors (but covered) which is typical for this area of the country due to the heat. The average daily temperature in Liberia is +90 F (+32 C) so indoor kitchens are not practical due to heat. Most of our guests find the outdoor kitchen charming and fun to cook in but I can see how it could appear odd to those unaccustomed.

Speaking of heat, that is one of the main reasons we allow our shower temperatures to remain "au naturale". With the high temperatures dof Liberia, most guests find the cool showers to be refreshing. Of course, this is also in an effort to be enviromentaly green.

Our security policy of requiring a guest ring the bell to be let in and out of the property is always a hot topic, some love it and others hate it. Frankly, I am always surprised since I have found it extremely common at hostels around the world, especially in Latin America. I want to take a moment to explain why it is necessary and so common. First and foremost, security. Security from people on the street and security from fellow travelers. Lets face it, travelers are targets. By monitoring and controlling who enters and exits, we reduce the chance of one of our guests having a security issue. (Knock on wood! We have not had a single one to date.) The other main reason is keeping down prices. Hiring a guard or replacing keys and/or locks would significantly raise costs. It also allows us to know who has just left and ensure their TV, fan or AC is off. Another key way to keep prices affordable.

You mentioned being able to hear other guests from your room but stated it ended at a reasonable hour. I think this is normal for communal living which is what staying at a hostel is all about and I am happy our "quiet time" policy is working well. Our quiet time is from 11pm to 6am. We want everyone to enjoy themselves but also be able to get a good nights sleep.

Again, thank you for your review and we are making improvements due to it. We strive to give backpackers and world travelers what they ask us for the most, clean, conveniently located, safe and affordable accommodations. Happy travels!
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had chosen this hospedaje because of the reviews on tripadvisor, but it was very disappointing. Yes, we had a/c but the noise was very very loud. Yes, there is a little garden, but it was full of laundry, and just one hammock and 4 plastic chairs. Yes, it has a kitchen but not very clean. Besides, we had a room and I think that the family was sleeping just at the other side of the thin walls, we heard a baby child crying half of the night... And, worst of all, when we have been in the room for one hour or so, there was a black cat jumping on our bed, it appears from under the bed!!! Ackward! That's too unhygienic. I'm nog allergic but imagine you are...
There is a much better option in the city, we slept there the other nights. Very clean hotel in the middle of the centre and very nice staff. A lot of travellers there. See my other review for that hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pick the room next to the kitchen because of the noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Myrte7
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. We make every effort to give our guests a positive experience.

I would like to address your issues:

Kitchen cleanliness and noise seem to be an ongoing battle in a hostel; some guests want a hostel to be a frat party and others want it to be a refuge. We like to allow our guests to enjoy themselves but not at the expense of other guests. This is certainly a balancing act and one we seemed to fail at during your visit. Our kitchen policy is that staff thoroughly cleans the kitchen once a day and spot checks it afterwards but that dishes are the guests responsibility which is standard in most hostels. Our quiet time policy is in effect from 11pm-6am and includes reducing TV volume, speaking in lowered voices and refraining from slamming doors

Our public areas include a front porch and back garden area. The front porch has a bench and hammock for relaxing or waiting for your ride. Our back garden has the kitchen, a counter with 4 bar stools, two tables, 8 chairs and a hammock. Between the front porch and back garden, there is sufficient seating for a full house of guests.

As for laundry in the back garden, yes, there is occasionally guest laundry hanging to dry. We offer laundry service to our guests and in an effort to be enviromentaly green, we use a special washer to save water and hang clothes to dry. The hostel laundry is done during the day to avoid utilizong public space but guests can do their laundry at anytime. I apologize that this interferred with your stay.

Again, I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and hope you enjoy your travels. Happy travels!
Montréal
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We passed one night at LIberia at Hospedaje Dodero. We used 3 private room. The place was clean and safe (the main gate is always lock). It's really closed to the bus station. Free Wi-Fi was appreciated, The Room with no A/C had a fan. We were able to park our SUV inside the gate for a small fee.

The hosts we're friendly are really helpfull and give us really good advice for our trip in Costa Rica. Ask about he Llanos de Cortez Waterfall (20 min from the Hostel in car). The kitchen is modest in the backward but it did the job. Good place to stay for one day when arriving or before leaving.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. Happy travels!