“Very disappointing!”
Review of Hospedaje Dodero

Hospedaje Dodero
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had chosen this hospedaje because of the reviews on tripadvisor, but it was very disappointing. Yes, we had a/c but the noise was very very loud. Yes, there is a little garden, but it was full of laundry, and just one hammock and 4 plastic chairs. Yes, it has a kitchen but not very clean. Besides, we had a room and I think that the family was sleeping just at the other side of the thin walls, we heard a baby child crying half of the night... And, worst of all, when we have been in the room for one hour or so, there was a black cat jumping on our bed, it appears from under the bed!!! Ackward! That's too unhygienic. I'm nog allergic but imagine you are...
There is a much better option in the city, we slept there the other nights. Very clean hotel in the middle of the centre and very nice staff. A lot of travellers there. See my other review for that hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pick the room next to the kitchen because of the noise
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Myrte7
HospedajeDodero, Owner at Hospedaje Dodero, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. We make every effort to give our guests a positive experience.

I would like to address your issues:

Kitchen cleanliness and noise seem to be an ongoing battle in a hostel; some guests want a hostel to be a frat party and others want it to be a refuge. We like to allow our guests to enjoy themselves but not at the expense of other guests. This is certainly a balancing act and one we seemed to fail at during your visit. Our kitchen policy is that staff thoroughly cleans the kitchen once a day and spot checks it afterwards but that dishes are the guests responsibility which is standard in most hostels. Our quiet time policy is in effect from 11pm-6am and includes reducing TV volume, speaking in lowered voices and refraining from slamming doors

Our public areas include a front porch and back garden area. The front porch has a bench and hammock for relaxing or waiting for your ride. Our back garden has the kitchen, a counter with 4 bar stools, two tables, 8 chairs and a hammock. Between the front porch and back garden, there is sufficient seating for a full house of guests.

As for laundry in the back garden, yes, there is occasionally guest laundry hanging to dry. We offer laundry service to our guests and in an effort to be enviromentaly green, we use a special washer to save water and hang clothes to dry. The hostel laundry is done during the day to avoid utilizong public space but guests can do their laundry at anytime. I apologize that this interferred with your stay.

Again, I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and hope you enjoy your travels. Happy travels!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We passed one night at LIberia at Hospedaje Dodero. We used 3 private room. The place was clean and safe (the main gate is always lock). It's really closed to the bus station. Free Wi-Fi was appreciated, The Room with no A/C had a fan. We were able to park our SUV inside the gate for a small fee.

The hosts we're friendly are really helpfull and give us really good advice for our trip in Costa Rica. Ask about he Llanos de Cortez Waterfall (20 min from the Hostel in car). The kitchen is modest in the backward but it did the job. Good place to stay for one day when arriving or before leaving.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. Happy travels!

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

these guys take safety seriously, things are really clean and there are towels and a well stocked yet small kitchen. The range is top notch but only two burners. They are responsive on email and always around to help. One thing they could easily fix is to ads more seating in the cozy backyard. Even though there is more room in the front yard, there really isn't enough space to seat a full house. I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Quality Excellent Facilities Excellent Service Excellent
I spent two nights with Hostel Dodero back in January. The accommodations were exactly what I was looking for, clean, modest. The hosts and managers, Jesus Dodero and Shawn Smith were cordial, friendly, helpful and were very efficient at running this hostel which was busy, busy, all day long the two days I was with them. However both gentlemen have a calm, welcoming demeanor and at no time did the busy comings and goings affect the quiet atmosphere within the hostel. I really enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend them.
The accommodations are neat and tidy, the bathroom very clean, the back yard/common area has a nice hammock and some small table and chairs for sitting in the evening or day.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was my 6th time in Costa Rica. Previously I had never found Liberia to be anything other than a bus station to get to the other good places. Owner Shawn showed me there are many things to do around Liberia. Besides the rodeo was in town. It is one of the biggest events in Liberia.The bull fights are very exciting with spectators taunting the bulls and sometimes getting mauled.
I met a couple other travelers and we booked an all day trip (around $40 each) with Shawn that included 4 different locations with waterfalls. Shawn and his friend Jesus acted as local guides and are very knowledgeable about the local flora and fauna. We picked local fruits from cashew and mango trees. We finished the evening with a dinner on the side of a mountain that was very scenic.
Shawn arranged for a taxi ($20 each) to take us to Rincon Volcano for a day of hiking with more waterfalls and good scenery. Then it was off to party in Tamarindo, zip line in Monte Verde, La Fortuna for everything touristy and see Arenal Volcano. Then to Nicaragua.
The hostel is clean and cheap ($14) with shared bathrooms and shared kitchen out back with patio and small yard. I enjoyed this place so much I stayed another night on my return from Nicaragua. Only 2 blocks south to the main bus station. I got up early in the morning to catch the local bus to the airport. It is only a couple dollars but doesn't operate at all hours so Shawn picked me up as my inbound flight arrived too late for the bus. After this trip I no longer dread the stay in Liberia, in fact I look forward to it.

Room Tip: The rooms in back are quieter than the ones in front on the street.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for writing a review and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We are particularly happy we could change your mind about Liberia and some of the wonderful things it has to offer. We are always happy to give all the tips we can on how to enjoy the city and its surrounding natural wonders. Come see us again soon!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed 1 night here in a private room, shared bath. Beds were comfortable. Very quiet location. Super close to bus terminal, easy less than 5 minute walk. Shared bath was clean. Liked the outdoor courtyard and hammock for relaxation. Close to supermarket and restaurants. Owner was nice and very helpful in figuring out how to get to next destination by bus. Wifi was one of the best connections during my Central America travels. Offered pickup for my travel partner from LIR airport for $4 cheaper than a taxi as well. Felt very safe with locked gate.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

This was our first stop in Costa Rica and Shawn and Jesus were very knowledgeable and helpful with all the details of organizing our stay. The hostel has a great garden/sitting/kitchen area, perfect for meeting other travellers and exchanging stories. And it is very convenient to the bus terminal.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Lindacoss

Thanks for the review and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We are also happy we could help with your sight seeing and planning. Helping folks get the most out of their time here is the best part of our "job". (How can living in paradise and hanging out with world travelers be considered a job???) Happy travels!