“Great if you're travelling through Liberia”
Review of Hospedaje Dodero

Hospedaje Dodero
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The location is perfect if you're travelling by bus through Liberia and need a clean and quiet place to stay for the night. It's only 100m away from the bus station so catching an early bus is no problem. The rooms and bathroom are basic, but very clean. There is a supermarket very close and it's an easy walk to the shopping areas of Liberia.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hospedaje Dodero

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I visited from Indiana and found Hospedaje Dodero from the website. Took a chance and was very pleased. It is within walking distance to the bus station, was very clean and comfortable, and has a great garden area to relax in. The price is very reasonsble. The owners, Shawn and Jesus, were very helpful and friendly and offer drives to the beach as well as tours of rivers, waterfalls, and hot springs in the area. I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in Costa Rica!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My friend and I traveled to Liberia for the weekend to see Rincon de la Vieja and we we lucky enough to get a room at this great hostel. First off it is super close to the bus stop, and the downtown area for bars, restaurant, etc.. The room we had was super clean and very affordable ($10 a night!). As soon as we mentioned we wanted to go to Rincon the staff was on top of assisting us with a shuttle, and suggestions on some of the better hikes to take there. In the night we had drinks at the hostel with the rest of the guests and the staff, there was a strong connection to all work together. For example although some of us already had dinner there was an offer to jointly buy and cook dinner together. Later that night the owner of the hostel gave some of us ladies a dance lesson (salsa, bachata etc...). Then he proceeded to take us out dancing for the night (although we were all too embarrassed to dance). Once we were tired and wanted to go home he personally escorted us back to the hostel. If given the chance I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! It is hard to find hostels with such positive energy and togetherness. Great place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SarahMarie16o8
Reviewed October 19, 2012

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!! The owners were gracious, welcoming and knowledgeable. They were both bilingual (Spanish and English) and helped us plan the remainder of our trip throughout Costa Rica. The hostel is clean, tidy and quiet, has a shared kitchen, TVs in every room and is located JUST 1 block from the bus depot and market. Backpacker's paradise if you are looking for a cheap, clean, comfortable and convenient place to stay with staff that go out of their way to help.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

shawn and jesus are super nice, friendly and helpful people. liberia is not that much of an interesting town, but if there is something to know or explore, they will tell you. not that much of a hostel character though so don´t expect to meed many people there. but i really recommend this place. simple but useful and friendly. they have a little nice backyard with a kitchen area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Have stayed at Dodero many times. This is owned by a Costa Rican guy, who co-runs it with an American guy. The single room rate was cheap, wi-fi available, and it was within walking distance to a bus station to go to the airport. The room was small and basic with a bed, TV, chair, and a fan (as it's really hot there). It had been okay until they lost my reservation this last trip.

The Costa Rican is usually a sweet and nice guy, and had shown some concern and tried to come up with ideas on where to place me. The first solution was to have me share a room - well I didn't sign up for that. The second was a friend's place nearby but without wi-fi. Seeing that I didn't have a choice, I could only accept it. But we went back to the hostel first so that I could send some emails to let people know that I would be offline. I wasn't happy about it though. On the way back he thought maybe another girl who was away mostly could swap with me, but would need to see if she was willing to.

As I was typing away my email the American asked the Costa Rican what happened and was told that I needed wi-fi. The American, who could be chatty and friendly one minute and turn mean the next, blew up on me. He basically told me that mistakes happen, and that they tried everything, and that I needed to accept the reality of the only choice unless the other girl would swap with me.

I was appalled. First of all, not once was an apology ever provided to me. Second, to be YELLING at a customer when it's their error was just ridiculous and terrible business practice. Third, as a frequent guest and a grown adult I wasn't looking for the royal treatment but did not deserve the crappy attitude. When the business fouls up they need to own up and try to appease the customer, and not say "my way or the highway." I know this is no hotel, but, still, you don't abuse your customers.

A person's true character and how well a business is run is shown by how they handle extraordinary circumstances. A HUGE fail here. FYI - at regular hotels when they overbook you, they pay for you to stay at a COMPARABLE hotel nearby, PLUS refund you and offer you extra perks, and always say SORRY (at a minimum!).

In the end the Costa Rican was able to put me in his family's other hostel with wi-fi. At least he was sincerely concerned.

5* for the Costa Rican, 0* for the American, and 3* for the hostel = 2* overall.

Room Tip: Triple confirm to make sure you have a room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank sfdoggie
HospedajeDodero, Owner at Hospedaje Dodero, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

I must agree that this experience was a disappointing end to a 10 month relationship. I am further disappointed by this very slanted review. The issue was simple. This guest circumvented our reservations and deposit process to save a few dollars in booking fees. Perfectly acceptable if the guest complies with our request to email 24 hours in advance of arrival to confirm the reservation. The guest provided 24 hour confirmation on all previous visits but forgot on their last visit. Unfortunately, this was also the busiest day of the year due to a large festival in town.

Upon arrival, this guest was given an available dorm bed to rest in while a staff member scoured the city for two hours looking for a room. A room was eventually found that was an upgrade to the room they expected (private bath) but the wifi was not working at this establishment. This was a real sticking point for the guest and I offered all our facilities for their use since we were only 2 blocks away. The guest stated that they wanted to be able to "lay in bed and use wifi". They also asked if I could move a guest already checked in to the other location so they could have a room here. At this point, I stated that we had done everything we could including finding her an upgraded room and that I would not dislodge another guest. This certainly is not "my way or the highway" as she stated in her review. This was two hours of finding the guest an equal or better accommodation. Eventually, we were able switch a guest from a friend's hostel that was not checked in yet to the room we had found and the guest was able to have a room with wifi.

I think the TIP to triple confirm reservations is not fair considering this guest did not confirm their reservation even once, as agreed upon. I also think it is unfair to claim it was "my way or the highway" when I was forced to say we had done all we could when the guest was requesting I dislodge other guests. I also find the review conflicting since in the beginning she claimed to not want any special treatment but then questions why she was not given perks. Finally, if the manager was moody as she suggested in her review, why did she return to the hostel over and over, 8 times in total. I find this a personal attack and illogical.

Rest assured, if you make a reservation with us, your room will be waiting for you and you will receive kind and courteous attention as stated in every other review on tripadvisor. Cheers and happy travels!

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have so many great memories at this place but above all: greatest hosts ever!
Sean and Jesus are super nice and fun, they give you great advice on transportation/local tours. and after a long day with touring, they're cool people to hang out and have fun :)
The rooms are basic but very tidy and comfortable. Shared bathrooms are also very clean and well-maintained, I was rather impressed!
Not to mention, location is awesome as well. Only a minute walk from Liberia's bus terminals.

ONE tiny thing that upset me were ants in the room. Thankfully there were none in bed but we had to keep our eyes on foods and stuff. Jesus told us he's working on pest control though.

But nevertheless, a great place to stay in Liberia!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends