“Sweet staff and lovely space”
Review of Hotel Liberia

Hotel Liberia
Ranked #1 of 14 Liberia B&B and Inns
Dhaka
“Sweet staff and lovely space”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I'm not sure why all the negative reviews I thought the space was pretty. The entry way has rocking chairs leading to the the outdoor eating area with a mosaic floor opening out to a garden.

Also the location can't be beat. It's right next to the main road by the large church great for people watching at night and exploring restaurants. Definitely go to the fruit place across the street. I had the best fruit salad of my life! The boy cut it with so much care, huge and tasted amazing, I had to eat it with my eyes closed for $2.

The staff is so sweet, polite and friendly. They helped me with my bag and gave me a first floor room, which was nice and clean. Two beds for $20. I'm attaching pictures, it's such a nice spot.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MarketingHL L, Manager at Hotel Liberia, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear friend,

Thank you for your sincere comments, we are continuosly working to make our guest feel like home during their stay in Hotel Liberia. We have received a lot of nice opinions personally or through websites as this one, and these are a great way to keep improving.

We truly hope you enjoyed your trip around Costa Rica, wish you Mery Christmas and a wonderfull new year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am giving this hotel an excellent rating, not because it's 5 stars or anything, but because it is an absolutely excellent budget option. Very friendly and helpful staff, small but very clean rooms. Perfect location right off the town square. I booked it through hostelworld.com and got a private room for 17 USD. Granted Liberia is not the most thrilling town in Costa Rica, but if you need to crash for a night here (as I needed to) then, this is a great option.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our trip ($32 per night). We had a twin room with private ensuite on the second floor. Tiny bathroom, but everything was clean and tidy. No safes available. Very pleasant, friendly, and helpful staff. Breakfast is reasonably priced, but nothing special - continental breakfast ($3) includes sliced white toast, dollops of jam and butter, a small fruit plate, juice (not fresh), and coffee. Great location on the historic Calle Real near the central park, restaurants, and supermarkets, and walking distance from the bus station. I'd recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed one night in a private room at Hotel Liberia. The features of this hotel include: well priced, friendly staff, very clean rooms and great location (right close to the central square). The area surrounding the hotel was very quiet (even being a Friday night). I would recommend staying at Hotel Liberia.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Nicaragua
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here to nights. Hotels in C-R can be expensive, but $35 a night for a spacious room with two double beds and a private bathroom is a good deal. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are basic, but clean and the beds are very good.
Situated in a quiet street only 50 yards from the Central park it is highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Arnold_Jensema
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Clarification: Dormitories 2 stars. Private rooms 4 stars. Hence the 3 * rating.

Ourselves and another couple checked into Hotel Liberia and being on a budget, opted for the cheaper dorms on the 3rd floor. The beds were bunked (we're married couples) and the mattresses were a little thinner than we'd prefer, but for $20/night we had no complaints. The rooms were clean enough, yet the shared bathroom was pretty ickky. No worries. Don Flip-flips and all will be well.

BUT! I was returning from a shower and my husband was in the common area below. Our door was locked, and it took me about 2 seconds to realize I could just reach my hand in the window and unlock the door.

After dressing I consulted my husband and we closed the window and locked the door, only to find that the horizontal window slats opened from the outside with no effort and the door was once again easily unlocked.

If we weren't carrying laptops I wouldn't have cared. Who would want to steal my nasty old clothes anyways? But lap tops are another story. My husband told the manager and he didn't seem to care.

(It should be noted that the manager told us they had a night security guard--but again, our laptops are quite literally our livelihood, so we can't risk losing them. )

So we decided to pack up and leave. And so did our friends who were traveling with us. As we gathered in the lobby, all packed up again, the manager made amends.

From here on out, the hotel gets 4 stars because the manager took great pains to tell us he would fix the problems with the dorm rooms upstairs and he offered us rooms with matrimonial beds and private bathrooms for the same price.

The upscaled rooms were, in fact, secure, and VERY clean with good mattresses. The bathrooms were clean enough too. The service we received from here on out was very good. The breakfasts were good as well.

The moral of the story? This place has GREAT rooms with private bathrooms which you pay about $30 for normally. Avoid the dormitories on the top floor for now. Until they get the problem with the locks fixed, your laptops, cameras, etc won't be secure. Stay somewhere else if you want to keep the nightly budget around $20.

Room Tip: First and Second floor rooms are pricier but secure. The top floor rooms are cheaper but not very co...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thriftydrifter
MarketingHL L, Owner at Hotel Liberia, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear guest,
Thanks for your comments. About the security flaws in the dorm rooms you referred, we are already fixing the situation by changing the windows system and the door locks.
About our staff attitude, we have go over with custumer service details in order to avoid inconvenience situations.
We are really glad you and your friends decided to stay a second night in our hotel, giving us the opportuny to offer you a better room and improve your experience with us.
World Traveler
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I just lodged at Hotel Liberia for 8 nights, a good Guanacaste location to explore the beaches and volcanoes nearby. The hotel is clean, staffed with friendly people, and just one block away from the central cathedral. (Hotel Liberia is also just one block away from Cafe Liberia, one of the highest rated Liberia restaurants on Trip Advisor.)

I originally booked a $20/night room, but upgraded to the $26/night room. For the extra $6 you'll get a more spacious room with two large beds, one of which I used to spread out my belongings since I was here for 8 nights. The room comes with a cable TV, ceiling fan and your own spacious private bathroom. The free WiFi was fast but spotty at times.

Having spent 8 nights at Hotel Liberia, two attributes jumped out:

1) This is a quiet hotel and I got 8 good nights of sleep on the comfortable bed. It's not a party hotel, so if you are looking for that, you should look elsewhere.

2) Hotel Liberia serves one of the best hotel breakfasts in Costa Rica. From 6 am - 10 am daily, for $5 or less, you can choose among an Omelette, American, Continental, Mexican or Tico breakfast, or my favorite, the platter of fruit -- pineapple, papaya, apple, and watermelon -- smothered in yogurt, coconut flakes, raisins and granola. And it comes with two cups of freshly brewed coffee. For only $3.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo