“Great Spot in Libiria”

Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

There are only two great spots to eat near the airport. 1. Soda Lula if you are craving great local food. 2. Cafe Liberia if you are tired of rice and beans. Possible the only great latte in Costa Rica.

I will continue to go back every time I return to Costa Rica,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I ordered the Aztec soup: silky fresh flavored tomato with chunks of avacado, slices of jalapeño, strips of fresh deep fried tortillas and a bit of cheese- superb and about $4. My husband ordered the plate of the day with chicken- white rice, fabulous black beans, really super fresh pick de gallo that also had red cabbage in it, sweet plantains. The dish was great- the chicken was just okay as you could taste it had been in the fridge but the chimmichirra sauce that was one it was yummy. My son ordered the chicken sandwich and it had a feta cheese on it. We just ordered limeade to drink and they blend the ice into it instead of just serving over cubes if ice so that was wonderful. Great service
Really worth the time to find

Reviewed June 12, 2013

On our first day in CR we stumbled upon this wonderful french-infused gem. The owner is a lovely French gentleman from Paris who was very helpful with our many questions we had about traveling CR. The place has a stunning courtyard and a unique, authentic decor. This was one of our favourite breakfast meals on our entire trip and the coffee was amazing.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The place is located in a very old house that features enormous height ceilings with angels painted on them, incredible wood doors and windows and lots of very interesting things, such as: a wooden refrigerator, a shrine to all GOD's of the world, custom made wood furniture made from a single piece of wood, worn out red leather sofas that look amazing and much more! As far as the food goes: I've had a salad and my friend had a burger. Everything was fresh, so no complaints. I personally like super fancy food, so I can not comment on the food. It was simple, but I see some visitor's photos that show some great presentations of dishes, so I might have chosen wrong things. It's a little bit pricey, but it's worth the visit if not for the food, but for the atmosphere.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Cafe Liberia, much like Donde Pipe, seems out of place in a town with few quality dining options. And Cafe Liberia certainly is quality. It is as though a small bit of France was transported and dropped down in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. The owner is French himself, and has the interior decorated in a very beautiful European style. He and the rest of the staff provide a very high level of service to patrons and make sure you are attended to in a timely fashion. When we came here, we only tried the coffee and the fresh-squeezed orange juice (no food). Both were outstanding and the coffee was tied for the best in Liberia (with Donde Pipe).

The reason why I am awarding four stars instead of five is that the food items on the menu are overpriced for the town of Liberia. For example, while a cup of coffee is very reasonable at only 900 colones (a little less than $2), a typical Costa Rican breakfast plate and drink will run you about 4500 colones ($9). By Liberia standards, this is incredibly high. Still, it´s definitely worth coming out here to experience it at least once or twice during your stay.

Tip: explore the beautiful interior courtyard of this cafe and feel free to take your coffee/food here.

Tip2: closed on Sundays