Papagayo Vargas Tours

Week of Fun

Reviewed November 20, 2017
Marvin M
Carmel, Indiana

All reviews arenal volcano hot springs horseback riding deep sea fishing visit to costa rica hotel adventure bird pricing
Reviewed January 11, 2018

Rest assured you will have a good time and learn a lot . We just returned from our visit to Costa Rica and still are talking about the fun we had Deep Sea Fishing , Zipling, Tubing, Horseback riding, and the Hot Springs all adventures we felt well taken care of and safe. I think the pricing is good and the service is excellent.

Reviewed November 20, 2017

We loved our week with Carlos Vargas as we toured rain forests, volcanoes, and bird sanctuaries. Carlos was personable and knowledgeable about the sites we saw. It was more than expected when he found a Quetzal bird about 100 feet outside our hotel! Would certainly book him again. The villa at the foothills of the Arenal volcano was wonderful.

1  Thank Marvin M
Reviewed February 28, 2017

What a wonderful experience. The tour guide Robert and driver Orlando were waiting for us when we arrived at the appointed location--even though we were early. They were eager to show us everything and teach us about the culture, history, and language of Costa Rica. It was a great tour, and they even threw in a few extras. Robert was extremely knowledgeable and answered our multitude of questions. Orlando could spot birds and animals no one else could see and then made every effort to get us close enough to see and photograph. They accompanied us on the Palo Verde River Tour and explained so much more than the other guides told their folks. We would choose this tour company over any other as we cannot imagine a better experience. Thanks for a great day.

1  Thank doclaura09
Reviewed June 20, 2016

After we were ditched by our original company, Bernardo saw us frustrated in the lobby and helped us book with his company. We were not disappointed and what could have been a disaster turned out to be a god send!

Reviewed March 18, 2016

Our group (6 adults, 5 kids) took an all day excursion to the Arenal Volcano and tropical rainforest. The transformation from the parched Guanacaste area to the lush and vivid rainforest was incredible. We took a sky tram up to the zip lines which ran across the high tree tops and gorges below. It was both exhilarating and terrifying. We then had a delicious and authentic Costa Rican lunch in La Fortuna. Afterward we headed to The Springs Resort & Spa. We visited the animal sanctuary which housed a variety of indigenous wildlife (our favourite was the monkeys) followed by relaxing and soothing hot springs bathing in the numerous hot springs and waterfalls which varied in temperature - there was even a waterslide for the kids. Dinner in the beautiful dining room followed and then we headed back home. Although it was a very long day it was well worth every minute. Our tour guide, Robert, and driver, Allan, were incredible. Both were extremely knowledgeable and accommodating and felt more like one of our group rather than our guides. I highly recommend this tour and Vargas Tours in general.

2  Thank Cheryl J
Reviewed February 22, 2016

BEST PRICING hands down! Fabulous customer service too. Ask for Roberto in the long sleeve green shirts in front of the Rui Guanacaste & the Scooby Doo discount! We went on the sunset booze cruise & snorkeling. Great time & lots of fun had by all.
Mega Combo Family Adventure Daily Tours I would suggest you go on the horses to see the waterfall. Zip line, water slide & food was great.

Reviewed January 20, 2016

My boyfriend and I booked private tour to Miravalles Waterfall with Vargas Tours prior to visiting Costa Rica. Lupita was amazing and very helpful through the whole process. Once we arrived to the hotel we contacted her via phone, and she once again explained all details. We had an amazing experience that included horseback riding, walking throughout the rain forest over suspension bridges, waterfalls, volcano crate, mudbath and hotsprings. Ricardo was very knowledgable guide and we very much enjoyed his stories! I would definitely recommend booking the tour with this company! Great time!

2  Thank MissFlutca
Reviewed January 16, 2016

My husband and I booked this tour from home prior to arriving in Costa Rica and had a great experience dealing with owner Lupita from booking to her picking us up from our hotel on the day of our tour. We picked Vargas Tours because we liked that they keep their groups smaller for a more personal experience. Our guide was Roberto who was very personable and very informative/knowledgable. He was happy to not only describe the different wildlife and vegetation, but also to chat about life in Costa Rica in general and how people lived. The river cruise itself was fantastic. Our captain Luis had an eagle's eye and spotted so many different birds, iguanas, and bats from a great distance and brought the boat in for us to have a closer look. The scenery on the river was incredibly beautiful and a must for any one but especially bird lovers.
After the river cruise we enjoyed some of the sweetest pineapple we've ever tasted which Roberto bought earlier in the day at a road side fruit stand. We also enjoyed a lovely family style lunch consisting of traditional Costa Rican foods: rice and beans, chicken and beef, plantains and some amazing pineapple orange ice cream for dessert. All in all booking with Vargas Tours was a great experience and they certainly pride themselves in ensuring their guests have a great time! Highly recommend not only the Palo Verde cruise but also Vargas Tours!

2  Thank LoralieVancouver
Reviewed November 29, 2015

We booked this trip through Gecko Tico Tours outside the Riu Guanacaste resort. Be sure to book through this agency instead of a group inside the hotel because you will save about 40% off the price. We had one guide take us to the border, and then we had a guide from Nicaragua for the rest of the tour. Our guide was David and our driver was Johnny. David did an AMAZING job. I was nervous to take my 13 year old into Nicaragua, but the guide made me feel comfortable. We saw an active volcano and a large lake. We stopped for lunch and shopping. I was surprised that the food was delicious (fresh fish and good local beer), and the shopping was excellent. You actually had to shop fast to buy something, and you could bargain on the prices. They had nice purses and artwork. Then we went on a boat ride and saw monkeys come right up to the boat near one of the islands. We also saw beautiful homes on the islands. We ended our trip in Granada with a carriage ride through the old colonial town. Even though the rest of the group did not want to go on the carriage ride (it was $10 extra), the guide made sure my son and I had a chance to take the carriage ride. The town was old and beautiful with a lot to see (chocolate factory, old church, cigar factory and nice shops). It was so fun to see a culture so different from our own (we are from Colorado). I highly recommend this tour for people who was a sight seeing adventure. They also had someone taking photos, and if you want to buy a disc with the photos at the end, it only cost $20! You don't have to buy it, but I love the pictures she took of me and my son. This was a long day, but definitely worth it!

3  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed August 19, 2015

Prior to visiting Costa Rica this summer, my husband did some online research on tour companies in the Papagayo area. He found Vargas Tours, we read the reviews, then we booked our tour.
To celebrate our honeymoon, we chose the full day, private tour of the Miravalles Waterfall.
We had an amazing, fun-filled day which included Ziplining (12 platforms!), a walk around the crater of the Miravalles Volcano, horseback riding, a hike up to see three beautiful waterfalls, swinging bridges, a delicious lunch, a volcanic mud bath treatment, and hot and cold springs. We had an extra special surprise when our tour guide pulled out a bottle of wine, chocolates and nuts from a picnic hamper while we were relaxing in the hot springs.
What made our day special was J.C., our amazing and knowledgeable tour guide. During the day, he pointed out various areas of interest, pointed out the names of flowers and trees, and answered all of our various questions about typical Costa Rican life. He even took hold of our camera to take various pictures of my husband and I and would stop along the side of the road to allow us to take photos of the beautiful scenery.
The tour was a bit costly compared to other tour companies, but with the extra special treatment received, it was well worth it!

1  Thank travelgurlCW