“Excellent excursion”
Review of Rio Perdido

Rio Perdido
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Bagaces
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The van trip from our Riu Guanacaste resort was interesting as the guide informed us of aspects of Costa Rican culture, economy, environmental issues, education, etc. The final 4 kilometers to the Rio Perdido property are on a barely passible road. Glad we had a experienced driver for that part of the trip.
The structure that is anchored to the mountain wall is a marvel of engineering. Thinking about how they managed to get the materials and machinery to that location made one admire the skill of the construction team.

The zipline/canopy tour was very fun. Somewhat challenging for most in our group as there are some short vertical climbs up rock faces with permanent metal step imbedded in the rock. The zipline guides were great. They always were careful to use safety cables to make the adventure comfortably exciting. The cables are made from carbon fiber so they make the ride quieter than some of the other operations.

Our group of 7 were the only guests at the time. The staff outnumbered us by a big margin. All were friendly. Food was good. The time relaxing in the natural hot river and the man-made pools felt good after the canopy adventure.

GestiondeRioPerdido, Public Relations Manager at Rio Perdido, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Craig,

Greetings from Rio Perdido!

In response to your valuable feedback, as well as the multiple requests from other visitors, we have carried out significant maintenance work on the cited, final 4km of unpaved road. At present, said gateway to our reserve is in optimum condition and can be easily traversed in any vehicle, driven by any licensed driver. Now, you can truly enjoy this amazing final drive segment which cuts through one of America's most unique tropical dry forests: the San Bernardo Dwarf Forest.

Because in this area it is not just the rainfall that affects roads (primarily between june and september), but also the strong wind gusts of these very dry months, road maintenance requirements are permanent...and expensive. Nevertheless, we are committed to making our guest's experience as close to perfect as possible and, therefore, will be investing in the maintenance work as often as is necessary to insure easy and safe travels.

We hope that you will visit us soon and perhaps visit our up-and-coming cabaña-style hotel, which will open its doors later this year.

Warm regards,

in 4 reviews
"parking lot"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I visited Rio Perdido and had a wonderful experience. We were greeted at the front desk with a delicious fruit drink, and then shown all around the property. We did the nature trail with a very knowledgable guide who pointed out all the different trees. He pointed out some monkeys in the trees that we never would have spotted on our own, as well as some bats. The trail is beautifully laid out with rocks and ropes beneath a tree canopy so that you don't need a hat or sunglasses, even in 90 degree weather! After we finished our walk, we went swimming in the warm thermal pool, and it was incredible! We then had a delicious lunch buffet. The service was exceptional, from the beginning til the end. Our only regret was that we did not have enough time do to the zip line or massages, as we had a limited time frame. Many thanks to Gabriel and all the staff for a wonderful experience. We are looking forward to visiting again when we have more time to enjoy it all.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I strongly recommend you to go and visit Rio Perdido, it is a unique place full of adventure, adrenaline, relax and chill. In the perfect balance of rustic elegant nature. I had fun at the canopy tour, bike park and they have a river of hot water, several pools, an amazing spa and restaurant.
The nicest that I have seen in the country. They thought about every single detail. Service is incredible, food is great. Do not miss it!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

It was our second visit, but this time with 2 children to enjoy the place, we did a new walk and the guide was very friendly as in the first visit. When the lunch time came the meal was not as good as the first visit, in fact the meal was missing an additional dish. The owner came by and asked us how we found out about the place, since we were the only ones visiting it there, and I told him that I saw an offer and took advantage of it but we are from Costa Rica, and he just left.
(We preferred to visit within the week since during weekends there could be more people.)
We were having fun at the main hot pool (trying to be calmed too) and suddenly an employee came and told us that we needed to move out to another pool because the owner was having a therapy and needed silence. Oh and let me tell you the SPA is right beside the pool, with no division but a curtain, no door, no glass! In other words very bad planned, since the SPA’s usually require a very quiet area, and I know many!
So we moved, very disappointed of the place since I PAYED for the service, and I am sure the owner did that since we were the only ones. Definitely on a Saturday or Sunday with the place crowded I am sure he wouldn’t even be there.
Right after this situation and a few minutes in the other pool (not as warm as the first one) we decided to leave the place and decided that we won’t go back there, I will say the place is nice, but just the fact that the owner does not follow the proper customer service will be definite for us to support him again.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I just wanted to drop you a quick note to say a huge thank you for giving myself and my husband the opportunity to experience Rio Perdido yesterday.
We had a fantastic time and have happy memories of our day.

The entire Rio Perdido team made us feel very welcome, from the Front Desk team on arrival, to the Bar and Restaurant team and Chef taking care of us throughout the day.

Jose gave us a wonderful hiking tour, with insight into the property. It is truly beautiful and I can imagine will be the perfect place for relaxation and adventure, once you have completed the zip line, mirador, etc.

Katia at the pool restaurant was the perfect host and looked after us very well, along with German.
She really goes the extra mile to create personalised service and her name usage was very strong.

We ended the day with a massage. My therapist Fernando was fantastic. His 20 years experience was put to the test on my problem shoulder, which he managed to 'fix' and I now feel like brand new! My husband relaxed so much during his treatment that he fell asleep. The perfect way to end the day.

I feel confident that everybody will enjoy Rio Perdido as an option to visit during their stay in Costa Rica.

Once again thank you Gabriel. Congratulations on your new venture and please thank your team - they are Superestrellas!

1  Thank H B