“Amazing experience high above the canopy”

Arenal Hanging Bridges
Book In Advance
More Info
$66.00*
and up
Arenal Hanging Bridges Hiking Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
San Diego, CA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Amazing experience high above the canopy”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had an amazing experience at Arenal Hanging Bridges. Instead of going through our hotel, we decided to drive there ourself with our two children ages 8 and 5. We arrived about 9:15am. The park opened at 8:30. We asked about a guided tour and the next one was at10:30, so we decided to walk it ourselves. It was 1.9 miles. Easy to intermediate walking. It took us 2.5 hours, with easy walking and stopping to watch monikers, cutter ants, and take lots of pictures. We twisted our ankles a couple times on roots on the walkway or uneven walkway, but it was an easy walk for all of us. The views were amazing, the bridges were an architectural wonder, great photos, and we loved seeing white faced monkeys playing in the trees. My husband and I were $24 each and children 12 and under are free.

• Polish first
Ypsilanti
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Enjoyed my tour, even in the rain”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Arenal Hanging Bridges were my first tour on my first trip to Costa Rica. I was picked up at my hotel at 8:30 am in a van. We picked up 6 other people on the way to the bridges. We got there around 9 am. The tour was a nearly 2.5-hour guided walk through the rainforest along a rough path with intermittent suspension and metal brides. It was very fun! Our guide was Oscar. He knew a lot and spoke good English. We saw a blue jeans dart frog, a flycatcher, a motmot, lots of leaf-carrying ants, a wild pig (peccary), orange-billed sparrows, lots of nice butterflies, an eyelash viper, a casque-headed lizard, and a snail. We were a group of 8 (7 American tourists + the guide), and that was a good size. It rained much of the time, so be ready! The path is very uneven (paved with waffle concrete paving blocks, good for traction in the mud); I was glad I wore my hiking boots. The guide had a spotting scope and set it up several times so we could get great views. The suspension bridges were fun to cross. When we were done, it had stopped raining, and there were beautiful views of Arenal Volcano. It wish we had seen more, but I had a good time.

Visited June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Shake Shake the bridge”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Shake the bridge!! it is awesome (Not allowed as per rules) but what is the use of a bridge if you dont get to scare your wife :-)

Jacksonville, Florida
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“Enjoyable experience! Surrounded by the rainforest!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was unsure at first about bringing the family here with all the mixed reviews. I'm glad we decided to go! First of all anything you do in Costa Rica outside must be done early, especially in Green season!!! Secondly you are in the wild not a zoo, you may or may not see any wildlife. Do not let this determine if you are going to do something or you will miss out on all the beauty that Costa Rica has to offer. My family and I were lucky enough to see a family of Howler monkeys within 15 minutes of entering the park. We watched them play and swing from tree to tree for about 20 minutes. We also spotted a Strawberry Poison Dart Frog, many species of birds, spiders, and lizards. My husband spotted a birds nest made right along the side of the mountain wall and to our surprise there was a baby bird inside! So young that it's eyes were still closed and had just started to get it's feathers. What a treat! Like others have said the trail is not difficult, there are a few steep climbs. Yes the cement "blocks" they use on the trail can be uneven and a little hard to walk on so make sure to wear tennis shoes. Also bring water and a snack, and don't forget to apply bug spray. The flora here is beautiful. It started to rain as we were leaving so if you have lightweight rain jackets it sure wouldn't hurt to bring them. Kids under 12 are free and students with ID are $14. We didn't use a guide and I noticed that everyone else but one group was on their own too. Either way I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable time!

Allentown, PA and Modiin, Israel
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Breath-taking”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were fortunate enough to see a parrot, a toucan and a small red frog on our visit. It is a self-guided tour so you go at your own pace and can enjoy the jungle -- we almost saw a monkey! A great way to pass two-three hours in an exotic setting.

Visited June 2013