“Fun day in the caves”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fun day in the caves”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

If you've ever been curious about the inside of caves, this is the tour for you. You will walk through water, crawl around tight caverns, swim through water, see wonderful stalagmites, spiders, and bats. They provide rubber boots and helmets with lights. Our tour guide was really good and all the guys working there are excellent and make your tour enjoyable. This tour is not for those that are weak, unhealthy or over weight. You will walk up and down a steep hill, crawl where you must lift and pull your body on rocks and through shoulder deep water. It is strenuous but interesting. They do not recommend you bring cameras due to the submersion of water at points in the cave. There is a guide who will take photos along the way then you buy them for $20 on a disk at the end. All in all, a strenuous but fun tour and very interesting.

• Hebrew first
Vancouver, Washington
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“We LOVED this tour!!!!!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We drove to the caves after leaving Arenal and on our way to Rincon De La Vieja National Park. We drove the back way to Rincon and it was a beautiful drive without having to back track!!!
When my husband and I drove up to the cave, we were met by the guide and told what to expect. We payed our $20ish(?) fee, got our boots and helmets and off we went! Our guide was great. There was lots of climbing. Some of the areas we had to climb up and down I thought he had to be joking, but with his help we did it without problems.
There are a few big spiders and bats flying around everywhere! I loved it! This isn't like any tour at home. I'm pretty sure most of it wouldn't be allowed which is exactly why it is so fun!
Make sure to bring tip $. They work hard to show you a good time. Honestly, I am surprised the entrance fee is so cheap. I was glad we didn't pay for a tour to take us. We didn't have to be in a big group. It was just the two of us which made it special.
Driving directions for LaFortuna that I'm pretty sure I got from someone else's post:
you should take towards El Tanque town, then turning north to Monterrey until get the small town of Jicarito, then turning left where soon you will be in the Venado town to take a graved road of 3 km to get to the Venado Caves.

Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun day... beautiful drive”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband and I rented a car for our stay in Costa Rica so we were able to drive out to the Venado Caves (with the aid of our GPS of course). The drive to the caves was quite nice as we got to really see the country as we wound up and down the twisted roads. Our guide, Fausto, was very fun and friendly. He was very knowledgeable about the caves and the animals that we found within. We purchased the additional "photography deal" and it was well worth it. We also took along our GoPro and it could not handle the lighting issues. The photos Fausto took were excellent and really the only way to capture our caving experience. These caves were not the most beautiful or awe inspiring caves that I had been in however, it was a lot of fun as we were lead through narrow passages and even did a bit of climbing! This is a great tour and we really enjoyed it.

Denver, Colorado
“Incredible sights, great guide.”
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

This was an amazing adventure. Our guide, Johnny, was so knowledgeable and helpful navigating the cave. He showed and taught us everything about the geology, animals, and even the plants and area around the cave. He was also very on point about safety throughout our adventure. Great experience!

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Nice caves, average tour.”
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

This was a tour that we booked and were very excited about. After getting there we were told we were not allowed to take cameras due to to many flashes going off at once and also no water as it could grt contaminated and they would provide some afterwards. This seemed fine to us and we set off in our wellies and messy clothes. After getting to the caves our group was rushed around very quickly and we spent more time looking where we were going than at the cave walls. If we held back a bit to look around the tour guide would rush on, not wait and then start talking about something before we got there. The tour was very short and after talking to people it seems we missed out a fair bit. Ths photos that they took were good however not many of them per couple but this again is understandable as they want to reduce the impact on the bats, however although $20 is fine for 2 people, its $20 per 2 people. So if you are a group of 4 and they take pics of you together they will charge you $40 which I think is a little steep. All in all im hoping it was just a bad day as im sure this could be a great tour of but unfortunately it just did not match up to the others we have been on and even the tour guide was not as good. Other tours the guides chat to the people in the bus on the way and find out a bit about everyone. Our guude just sat and chatted to his driver all the way there and back. He is the only tour guide we didnt tip as we really did not think he deserved it, and normally I will still tip any way as I get far to embarrassed when I dont. Perhaps save the caving and visit some somewhere else in the world and if you are going for the bats then you will learn lots at The Bat Jungle in Monteverde.

6 Thank PenguinSalad