“Incredible sights, great guide.”
Review of Venado Caves

$85.00*
and up
Venado Caves Underground Experience from La Fortuna
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

This was an amazing adventure. Our guide, Johnny, was so knowledgeable and helpful navigating the cave. He showed and taught us everything about the geology, animals, and even the plants and area around the cave. He was also very on point about safety throughout our adventure. Great experience!

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

This was a tour that we booked and were very excited about. After getting there we were told we were not allowed to take cameras due to to many flashes going off at once and also no water as it could grt contaminated and they would provide some afterwards. This seemed fine to us and we set off in our wellies and messy clothes. After getting to the caves our group was rushed around very quickly and we spent more time looking where we were going than at the cave walls. If we held back a bit to look around the tour guide would rush on, not wait and then start talking about something before we got there. The tour was very short and after talking to people it seems we missed out a fair bit. Ths photos that they took were good however not many of them per couple but this again is understandable as they want to reduce the impact on the bats, however although $20 is fine for 2 people, its $20 per 2 people. So if you are a group of 4 and they take pics of you together they will charge you $40 which I think is a little steep. All in all im hoping it was just a bad day as im sure this could be a great tour of but unfortunately it just did not match up to the others we have been on and even the tour guide was not as good. Other tours the guides chat to the people in the bus on the way and find out a bit about everyone. Our guude just sat and chatted to his driver all the way there and back. He is the only tour guide we didnt tip as we really did not think he deserved it, and normally I will still tip any way as I get far to embarrassed when I dont. Perhaps save the caving and visit some somewhere else in the world and if you are going for the bats then you will learn lots at The Bat Jungle in Monteverde.

6  Thank PenguinSalad
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I felt a bit claustrophobic just thinking about going into the caves. Once we were in the caves, I got over my fear and I had a blast. There are some tight spots, but nothing too bad. We had my 74 year old mother with us on the tour. So if we can do it, you can do it too!

During our tour we saw a ton of bats, spiders, a nice little snake and poison dart frogs (don't touch these frogs!). We also heard howling monkeys on our way out of the caves.

It is a bit slippery, so make sure you use their rainboots or wear appropriate water shoes.

In case you are wondering, we got picked up in a large van. The drive to the caves was about 45 minutes. There was 4 other women on our tour. So you might get paired up with other groups. This was not too bad, the more the merrier when you're down in those caves.

They also provided fresh fruit and facilities to shower after your tour.

I loved this tour and I would do it again!

I booked my tours through anywherecostarica.com

6  Thank nancy d
Reviewed April 2, 2014

So, we decided to drive to the caves from the village of Nuevo Arenal, which is the north side of Arenal Lake. The lady who gave us directions said, "it's direct, about half an hour from here." Well, the road is direct, but plan on a bumpy, winding ride that takes about 45 - 1 hour from Nuevo Arenal, passing though farms and not much else. We became worried when it seemed like there could not possibly be a tourist attraction there -- but, eventually, we got there. We were the only ones there, and arranged a tour with Johnny.

They give you a helmet/headlamp, rubber boots, and a paper mask to protect yourself against bat guano (yes, there are lots of bats in there, but the bat guano is only really dangerous when it dries -- not really in the humid environment of the caves. We only wore our masks in the really bat-heavy areas).

Things get interesting right away -- you go through the "Birth Canal" on your hands and knees, a hole that's about 30 inches across. If you are a big person, you'll get through, but you'll feel it! I've never been caving before, and it was awesome, a true adventure. Totally disorienting and somehow magical. You'll see three kinds of bats, some fish, some weird spidery looking insects, frogs, and fossils.

This would be so fun to do with kids. Make sure everyone wears clothing that covers the knees, brings a change of clothes (and maybe shower gel), and a dry towel, since there are showers at the end.

3  Thank DevBenn
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We booked a tour of Venado Caves through Defasio Adventure Company since they included transportation given that the caves were about 45 minutes outside of La Fortuna. If I had to do it again, since we had our own car, I would have just driven on our own because it was only $20 to show up at the location and do the tour (we paid $75). That being said, the tour itself was so much fun! We arrived and were given rubber boots to change into along with a lighted helmet. Note the boots do fill with water and become heavy by the end of the tour, but since you walk through some stinky parts of the cave, I would prefer to use their boots over my water shoes. We were in a group of about six people with one guide and as we approached the cave, I started asking myself why I had booked this tour given that I really hate insects and bats. I have to say that when you're on the tour, you do see lots of bats and some spiders, but the walls are not crawling with them so it's really fine (trust me). We explored over eight different parts of the cave, wading (sometimes crawling!) through water, climbing up ladders, and squeezing through tight spaces. This was very adventure-filled and not at all like a cave tour you might experience in the US! After the tour, we went back to the staging area to get showers (bring soap with you!!) and then enjoyed water and some fruit before heading back to town. In total, we were gone for about four hours with around two hours actually being spent in the caves. I will say that you should always keep your eyes open on tours in Costa Rica, no matter where you are! We ended up actually seeing our first monkey of the trip on the way out of the caves and we saw a toucan in the trees by one of the hotels as we dropped off someone at the end of the tour.

3  Thank hfritzinger