Book In Advance

from $85.00
More Info
from $179.00
More Info
All reviews rubber boots change of clothes water shoes tight spots underground waterfall la fortuna costa rica an adventure per person comfort zone a lot of fun unique experience rainy season arenal area scorpion bats crawl
Reviewed 1 week ago

Visiting the Venado caves was great!
Henry, our guide, was very knowledgeable and pointed out really interesting information through the tour.
Definitely not for people who have claustrophobia, unfortunately for them because it is so exciting to go through the smaller tunnels and under the underground waterfall!
Definitely would recommend if you like adventure!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A true adventure. Delve deep into old caves, see coral formations, stalagmites & stalagtites, bats, giant scorpion spiders, beautiful rock erosions formed over thousands of years. Wade through muddy water, twist and stretch to traverse narrow passages, experience true darkness, feel the chill air. An amazing adventure! Our only complaint is that upon seeing the entrance, our middle child decided to skip the caving experience, and one parent also had to stay behind with her. We had paid full price for 5 people, and then had to quibble and argue and raise a bit of a fuss to get any kind of refund for the two who didn't go. In the end, they agreed to refund a single fare, meaning we paid for 4 even though only 3 participated. An unfortunate conclusion to an otherwise memorable and enjoyable excursion. Recommend, but don't pay until you're sure everyone is keen.

Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

One our favorite activities near La Fortuna! We took a tour through Eco Terra. Minor was our guide and he was great! It was a lot more strenuous than we imagined it would be. You crawl on your hands and knees through water, and squeeze through tight areas. It’s very helpful to be in good shape, and flexible. Highly recommended!

1  Thank christybrasher
Reviewed September 25, 2018

We had a great experience at the Venado caves. Our guide Daniel made us feel completely at ease, even when we needed to squeeze through some pretty small gaps and climb up in the cave. We saw lots of bats, underground waterfalls and generally had such a fun time. The drive from La Fortuna is not bad, the roads are good quality with only a short gravel portion near the end of the journey - just make sure to stick to the main roads out of La Fortuna rather than going for a short cut. One thing to note is that they only accept cash.

Reviewed September 22, 2018

I went with my two kids and 25yr old nephew. I got such a great workout and yes, there were areas that were tough to get through/climb and I did it (I am not in shape so this was great)! My kids are fearless so we enjoyed all the immense spiders and prehistoric-looking insects and the BATS!!!!!! OMG that was great to see! We walked through knee-high stream (all throughout the cave) and just when we we thought we had seen the whole tour(3hrs), we get to he "altar", a calcium slab/stone! SO COOL! We enjoyed squeezing through the tiniest of cave spaces! LOVED this place and my kids eyes were like saucers the WHOLE tour!

Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

I cant explain the feeling! I had adventures like bungee jumping, sky swing, volcano tour, hot springs all in Costa Rica and this is the best activity I had! It was raining when we went there, the water was a bit high but still manageable. I love caves! And this is my first time spelunking!! Learned so much about surviving in a cave. The guide did an awesome job in explaining and helping us during the spelunking itself. Not for claustrophobic people though, you will have to go through the 'birth canal'.

Reviewed September 14, 2018

The cave and the tour by Alonzo were extraordinary. The experience going through some of the tight places was very unique. The river flowing in the cave and the waterfall (and whats behind it are surprising as well. With the help of Alonzo we spotted unique animals outside and inside the cave (Bats, scorpion spider, red frog, transparent frog). We came out soaking wet and smiling. It was a perfect tour for us. Strongly recommended for dry and raining days.

1  Thank Almog A
Reviewed August 4, 2018

the caves were beautiful, our guide was wonderful, very knowledgeable, funny and made us feel very comfortable.

Reviewed July 29, 2018

Our group of 9 had a wonderful tour with our guide, Alonzo. The cave was much more expansive then I imagined. We made our way through all the tight spaces - some of us laughing, some smiling, some nervous - but we all did it and were thrilled when we finished. Some spaces are tight, but much of the cave is expansive and really beautiful. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes a new adventure. If you're like us, you'll feel a sense of accomplishment for doing something so unusual.

Closed toe water shoes were perfect. You'll get wet, but the cave is warm. We also purchased the photo package, which we were very happy with. You definitely don't need knee pads. It was an easy 45 minute drive from La Fortuna (we had a rental car). We did the morning tour and were back in La Fortuna for a late lunch. Great day! Pura vida!

1  Thank jody229
Reviewed July 20, 2018 via mobile

The staff at the caves was so wonderful. Really nice people that care a lot about nature and education. My sister and I lucked out with a private tour because it was a slow time. We learned a lot and saw lots of cool things including different types of bats, large insects and a tarantula. This is definitely NOT for the faint of heart. You must walk through water that at times is up to your knees, crawl through tight (I mean tight) spaces, and climb up a wall. Must be Ok with the dark and small spaces. If you are, then you won't be disappointed! One of the most unique things that I have ever done! Don't worry about your shoes, they provide boots and headlamps.