“Amazing!”

47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Currently in Arenal wanted to do something different. I came across venado caves and having never spelunked it seemed interesting. After viewing photos on Google and trip advisor I was also scared. I contacted some tripadvisor members for their advice and they were all helpful describing the experience (thank you!). Reluctant still, my friend and I drove to venado today. We were greeted by Victor who outfitted us with a helmet and big rubber boots. We walked down to the cave and I'm so happy I didn't back out! What an amazing experience! Our guide Victor was very nice and funny setting my fears aside. He took us into the cave, helped us on a segment of high drops (about 12' with footing) en route to the "birth canal" by letting us step on his shoulder and hands. He also snapped great photos of us. I can honestly tell you now having done venado and happy I did it - it's not scary. It is dark but a flashlight in addition to your helmet light helps greatly. You will see bats, scorpion spiders, tarantulas and maybe a frog. They are more afraid of you and will run away. We went into 4 chambers, each stunning with limestone, coral, calcium. You will get wet. You will duck through a short segment of subterranean river into the 3rd chamber and encounter waterfalls - magnificent! Your head and chest will be above water. Now - for those claustrophobic with a fear of heights like me...the only part that was a challenge but not very challenging at all - the second chamber - that has a rather tall drop (you'll need a boost if you're short like me at 5'2") and the "birth canal". Victor went first and helped me on the other side getting down. From there there's the "birth canal" it is simply a narrow hole you crawl through. You're not crawling for long in fact as soon as you stick an arm through you're on the other side. That's it! Then you pop out right where you started. If you must bypass this you can but I'm telling you from my own experience it was awesome. That is the only time during the 2 hour underground hike you'll encounter that and then you can say you did it! The rest is mostly standing erect walking, a couple narrow passages you walk though sideways and a couple areas where you crouch/duck (or if you need to crawl). Great experice, easy to get to from Fortuna and $23 for a private, easy going guide who will explain details about the cave and help you along as opposed to a $69 tour. Ask for Victor you'll have a great time and lots of laughs!

3 Thank DigsInNY

• Hebrew first
Turnersville, New Jersey
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing, if you like adventure don't miss this!”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My friend wanted to do the cave, I was indifferent. I thought we would just walk in, look around at the rocks, and leave. Boy was I wrong! This trip was amazing, climbing through and exploring the cave. It was just me & my friend with the guide, so it was a great experience. The guide even took my personal camera and took pictures of us, for us, climbing through the rocks and wading through the water. If you're terrified of bats (like me) you just need to make it through the entrance (and don't look up!) and then you'll be bat-free. If you're scared of small spaces this probably isn't for you.

1 Thank eephus19
Los Angeles, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fantastic Experience”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Cost Rica. If you are in La Fortuna, Venado Caves is an absolute must! We booked the tour through our hotel for $75/pp. This includes transportation, guide, and equipment. Edwin was our guide and since it was wet season, we ended up on a private tour with just the two of us and him. Climbing through the caves was such an awesome experience! We saw crickets, scorpion spiders, and tons of bats. I'm not fond of bugs or bats, but they don't bother you. The water level was also great with enough for a nice waterfall inside the cave.

La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
3 attraction reviews
“Very interesting”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I like the caves
The road was nice and my family and I enjoy learning about the conmposition of the caves.

Bronx, New York
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“WOW!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

i never thought i'd be crawling through caves, up, down small spaces... wonderful experience if you like adventure.... Our tour guide was EXCELLENT! great personality - very fun.... We ended up inviting him and the bus driver to lunch at a Soda... GREAT TIME! thank you!