We left the windy Tenorio region in the afternoon and arrived to the rainy Arenal region just before sunset. We didn't have any reservation for a place to stay so at a certain point we decided to just pick the first spot that looked good. Luckily it wound up being Mystica, which is owned by an Italian ex-pat. Luckily it was also just off the main road. Went in and asked if there were any rooms available and thank goodness they had only a couple left. We were taken to the room, told about all the amenities and everything that was/was not included in the price.
We got the Butterfly room, which had a queen size bed and bunkbeds with very comfy linens and pillows. The room was large enough to have a build out that was sort of a closet which was large enough to store some clothes and luggage. There was also a desk with lamp and chair. The room was nicely decorated and painted as well as the bathroom. The nice touch to the bathroom was the use of organic natural handmade soap from a local village. The shower was big with curtains but be careful cause too much water and it splashes out to the floor. Now just like in other hotels we stayed at in the Guanacaste area, none of the windows had glass, they were almost all simply screened off. I say almost because the one that wasn't (in the bathroom) was were the bugs came in. It wasn't an invasion, but there were certainly a few different types of bugs. We just simply closed the window and left the ones who weren't in our way alone.
The grounds of the hotel are wonderful and full of opportunities to explore. First and foremost is the restaurant/bar/lounge/wifi spot. Dinner wasn't included in the price, but we weren't going to venture to the nearest town in the rain. Suffice it to say that after we tried their food, I don't think any of us regretted the decision to stay. We had a scrumptious meal of squash soup, pasta, and handmade pizza....all natural and organic. It was still quite windy at night and since there was no TV in the room, we decided to just hang out at the lounge and use the wifi. The lounge area was nice, quiet, and comfortable. So much so, stayed for a couple of hours but only felt like a half hour. The next morning the rain had subsided some, but not the wind. So took a walk around the grounds to explore and came across a rock lined pool with small waterfall (restrooms/changing rooms are there too) and a few steps away was the massage room, which was up a tree and more of a treehouse. Further down the hill on the path towards the rear of the property is the roofed, but no-walls yoga 'sanctuary' in a great setting next to a small creek. Even further down the path and sort of off the beaten path is the way to the Ceiba tree. Follow the arrows and be careful. When you come to the creek you will have to cross over to continue on to the tree. Keep following the arrows. When you come to an open field take a look to your left, you'll get a great view of the lake. It may seem like the end of the path but if you just follow the dirt patch you will come up to more arrows again. Keep going until you go down the hill and come face to face with one very large tree.
Sometimes the great places are the ones you discover on your own. Now having found this place we will definitely book here if we get a chance to come back to Costa Rica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mystica Hotel is a tropical paradise with an excellent Italian restaurant, wonderful yoga and meditation classes in a forest sanctuary, a detoxifying infrared sauna, a dipping pool with a waterfall, and tree-top therapies such as massage and Reiki. Mystica is conveniently close to all of the great adventures and water sports that Lake Arenal offers: windsurfing, kayaking and fishing, excursions to Arenal Volcano including canopy tour and hot springs (40 km/25 miles from the hotel) and Tenorio National Park with its world famous Rio Celeste waterfall hike (35 km/22 miles from the hotel). Mystica Hotel is especially designed for travelers who want to relax and/or be in contact with nature. The lodge sits atop a rolling green hill and is surrounded by lush gardens. The rooms don't have TV, WiFi, or phones to support the complete relaxation of our guests, but there is free WiFi in the reception and restaurant area. Mystica's motto, inspiring all who visit, is: 'Live the Magic!' ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Mystica Lodge & Retreats reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mystica Restaurant Lodge And Retreats
- Mystica Restaurant Lodge & Retreats Hotel Arenal Volcano National Park
- Mystica Lodge & Retreats Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park