“Enjoyed our dinner pit-stop here”

Mystica Lodge & Retreats
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Nice pizzas, friendly wait staff and pretty views. We didn't stay here overnight, just had about an hour stop on the way from Monteverde to Arenal. Without knowing about the other options on this route, we recommend this as a pleasant place to stop and "re-fuel."

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mystica Lodge & Retreats

Reviewed June 29, 2011

1. was not equipped to handle a diabetic visitor even when informed prior to our visit ie menu, ice/refrigerator required.
2. beds were very uncomfortable.
3. no insect control inside the rooms
4. owners mother in law was nice!

Room Tip: If you're a cold water naturalist this is 4 u!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank maereese
Reviewed December 31, 2010

This serene inn is situated above lake Arenal and on clear days offers wonderful views. The grounds are lovely, and the rooms are simple, tastefully painted and clean. We enjoyed our stay here very much and found the staff to be helpful and friendly. It's rather laid back and breakfast starts a bit late for Costa Rica time (7:30). I would have liked coffee to be available earlier, and for it to be kept HOT (coffee was put out in pitchers and if you didn't get it right away it would be cold). The fresh fruit was great. For dinner the pizza was fabulous but the prepared dinner for a price was disappointing and overpriced. My advice if you stay here is to bring some good rain coats and walking shoes, plan to hike the grounds, bird watch, and slow down a bit. Have pizza one night but go to the local bar b que restaurant up the road another. Barbara, the owner's wife, and another woman on staff from Ohio, whose name escapes me, were all just lovely!!!! Also, the yoga class is terrific, and a great way to start the day! It's a magical place and well worth visiting!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Erika S
Reviewed December 19, 2010

My stay at Mystica was wonderful. The colours and the welcoming atmosphere of the lounge and dinnig room are a true reflection of the owners', Francesco and Lori's, vibrant and lovely personality. They made me feel very welcomed and the staff were very sweet and professional.
The rooms are very bright and spacious. The beds are super comfortable. I was travelling throughout Costa Rica staying in hostels and it was a treat to sleep in a soft and cozy bed.
The views overlooking Lake Arenal from the hammocks on the grounds were beautiful! Breakfast , lunch and dinner...delicious! I was travelling alone and it was very thoughtful of Francesco and Lori to join me for a glass of wine and share a few laughs.
There are many things to do in the area. The owners recommended Cataratas Viento Fresco, a scenic hike visiting 4 different waterfalls. They were stunning and the water was so refreshing.
Now the reason I went there...Reiki and Yoga. You must get a Reiki treatment or a massage with Lori in the Tree of Life. The Tree of Life is a tree top healing room that overlooks the river. Getting a Reiki treatment in such a unique set up with the natural sounds of the river, birds and monkeys was truly amazing.
My Yoga class with Lori was equally nourishing. I couldn't get over the fact I was doing Yoga outside with the monkeys. Fantastic!
If you want a place where you are completely immersed in nature and positive energy then I highly recommend Mystica. On my next trip to Costa Rica, I will definitely go back to the Tree of Life.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank caya228
Reviewed September 19, 2010

My yoga retreat at Mystica Lodge was enhanced by an excellent combination of accommodations, food, and yoga. Staying at the lodge was an experience that put me in touch with nature, its beauty and serenity, and its ability to bring inner peace.
Francesco and Lori, the owners of the lodge, had an extraordinary knowledge and love of their surroundings which they communicated in all that they said and did. The cuisine was balanced, healthy, and beautiful in its presentation; every meal was a feast for the body and the soul. All of this was a perfect complement to the essentials of yoga, massage, and reiki that Lori shared. Mystica was indeed a magical paradise!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lucia093
Reviewed August 7, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights in Dec 2009. We had our own car, and the drive to Mystica was quite scenic around the Arenal lake. If you don't have a car, it would take a bit more effort to get here. We are not into yoga, didn't get massages, but we did have a wonderful time here. The atmosphere is just relaxing and quite welcoming. The room was quite clean and spacious. We enjoyed the quiet time.

We quite enjoyed talking with the owners during our dinners (pretty good italian food!) and liked the fact we were staying at a place that was somewhat off the beaten path. The owners recommended some nice walks for us around the hotel property, and also a super fun hike to see 4 different waterfalls. Very beautiful - "Cataratas Viento Fresco." It was a wonderful surprise because we really wanted to go to Rio Celeste, but because of recent rains it was going to be difficult to get there. Their recommendation to see the waterfalls was great.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2010

As I attended a yoga retreat at the Mystica Lodge, I was in awe of the lush environment, hearty and healthy meals, great and personable owners, who made us feel like family. My room accommodation was in the villa style where I could brew my green tea each morning and observe nature and the Arenal lake and volcano from my front balcony.

The colors, rustic style and landscape added an ambiance of sheer bliss.

They offered massages and Reiki performed by a very talented healer who treated you with much compassion and love.

Each day at Mystica got better and better....I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Lake Arenal Hotel & Microbrewery
Lucky Bug B & B
Lucky Bug B & B
#1 of 13 in Nuevo Arenal

Been to Mystica Lodge & Retreats? Share your experiences!